PDA

View Full Version : Most FUN classes!

Snadgeros
2007-10-27, 12:35 AM
For a breath of fresh air from all of the "overpowered wizard" and "useless monk" DnD tier topics, I'd like to ask you all a question. I'm relatively new to DnD since my DMs usually crap out before the first session. I've made many characters, but only actually gotten to level this one (a monk, shut up). Now then, I forsee many future campaigns with my current group and would like to hear YOUR recommendations! So without further ado:

What class do you think is the most FUN to play and why? Don't just say wizard/cleric/druid and give "They kick ass!" as a reason. I want what's fun to roleplay as well as leads to funny combat situations.

Example: I'm enjoying my monk quite a lot. Even if it doesn't turn out for the best, the idea of needing virtually no equipment is highly appealing. Unarmed damage leads to graphic and disturbing descriptions by our DM of how I knee a wolf in the face so his head explodes or how my flurrying fists cave in the goblin's skull. It's a lot more fun than when the sorceror uses shocking grasp and the description consists of "The monster screams in pain and explodes." Finally, as far as roleplaying goes, I can't say much about him since I actually stole part of his backstory from Final Fantasy VI (I promise I'll be more creative with my next character!)

I'm thinking of rolling up a bossy Russian paladin for my next character. What do you guys think?

P.S. NO ELVES! I don't like them. :smallmad:

VerdugoExplode
2007-10-27, 12:45 AM
My favorite thus far has been a crusader from the Tome of Battle book. You start out as a usual low level personality but slowly, with minimal need for any hardcore optimization, become a force of reckoning on the battlefield.

You become capable of hitting enemies for massive amounts of damage and heal your friends in the process, all in plate mail while utilizing the biggest, nastiest weapon you can lay your hands on. Also, 2 auras you get at higher level, aura of chaos treats all melee damage dice as exploding, as in if they roll their maximum amount you keep that number and roll again. Aura of law grants you the ability to take 11 on any d20 roll EVER! I think.

It's like all the best parts of a paladin but with complete moral ambiguity.

Jannex
2007-10-27, 12:51 AM
I have the most fun with skillmonkeys: rogues, bards, rangers, scouts, beguilers (and maybe swordsages). Why? Because they provide me with options. I've always got something interesting and useful to do outside of combat, as well as in. Sneak attack leads to some amusing combat moments, as well--largely involving stabbing things in the kidneys. In tonight's session, when one of the party tanks *splorched* the big bad monster in a particularly dramatic fashion and it collapsed, my character was standing behind it with her sword where its spine had been. In fact, there was still a piece of its spine on the end of her blade. I joked about how I was going to keep the bit of spine on there, and ram it down the BBEG's throat when we caught up with him.

Oh yeah, and elves don't like you either. :smalltongue:

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-10-27, 12:52 AM
I'll second Crusader as a very fun class to play. Paladin's may be my favorite class, but while I have to work a bit to make one of them good, the Crusader just rocks. Also, it allows you quite a bit of leg-room with flavor.

Psionicists are a lot of fun as well.

Snadgeros
2007-10-27, 12:53 AM
I forgot to mention. My group is pretty much core only. Some of us have a few of the extra books, but we never use it for more than a feat or two or one level of scout or something. Sorry, but try to keep it core-ish.

Dhavaer
2007-10-27, 12:57 AM
Warblade or Hexblade. Maybe Duskblade.

Snadgeros
2007-10-27, 12:59 AM
Warblade or Hexblade. Maybe Duskblade.

You certainly like blades, don't you? I'm more fond of unique weapons, like a scythe or a spiked chain.:smalltongue:

Doresain
2007-10-27, 01:23 AM
i usually play either skill monkeys or necromancers...

skill monkeys are fun because, as stated previously, they have a lot of options...i especially like bards, because they allow you to bypass encounters in really fun ways...or make it better (note: i never used bardic music)

i dont know what it is about necromancers, i just like the idea of being able to control hordes of undead minions

Brawls
2007-10-27, 01:30 AM
Any class can offer a lot of roleplaying fun. Having said that, I think the skill monkey classes (I've only played a rogue/spymaster recently) offer a lot of out of combat fun mixed with very effective combat skills. I'm playing a fighter/warblade currently, and I really enjoy laying waste to things in combat (currently ECL 7). The lack on skill points is kind of frustrating, from wanting to take realistic (i.e. related to our adventures) skills, instead of feeling I have to min/max the effective skills. I played a cleric with war/travel domains, which was a lot of fun, especially since he was kind of a proseletyzing annoyance for everyone else (e.g. "I'm sure my healing abilities would be more effective if you weren't so unworthy of Pelor's grace!" or "See, I can heal myself up to full. Perhaps it is time for you to embrace the wonderment of Pelor's Divinity."). Frankly, I think any class that is reasonably well in combat and can still do things somewhat well out of combat are fun. Roleplaying race, personality, and backstory I think depend on how yu want to fit in to yur DM's world and interact with your party.

Brawls

Fhaolan
2007-10-27, 01:35 AM
I find that which is the most 'fun' classes depends so much on the kind of group you're playing with that it's almost impossible to answer the question.

So, I'm going to describe the characters I've played that I had the most fun with:

Pater D'Ark, Dragonslayer. A Fighting Man, from the original version of D&D. My first character. We had no idea what we were doing, and it showed. Pater's claim to fame, slaying a Dragon, actually happened completely accidentally and he was only tangentally involved. Didn't stop him claiming credit though.

Ssackha, a Lizard Man Samurai, back in 1st edition D&D. The idea was that in the oriental region of the campaign, the nobles were *literally* the descendants of dragons.

Dirk, an Elven Assassin, also 1st edition D&D. This was my solo character. It was just me and the DM, messing about every Friday night.

Karlak the Prestigitator, 1st edition Magic-User. Had a wooden leg because the DM decided to use home-brewed crit tables...

Dameon, a half-elf Bard/Ranger, 2nd edition [DM allowed this nonstandard multi-class, which was technically not allowed in 2nd edition at the time]. Sorta a freedom fighter/Robin Hood type. Had a mission to free all the slaves in the campaign world. Never did finish that campaign.

Parcifael Stalhk, Human Fighter/Paladin, 2nd edition D&D. Played him up as a fighter, and he underwent a religious conversion at some point, and the DM had me convert him into a Paladin. Lots of fun with this guy. Actually jumped off a mountain once because he felt he had a better chance surviving the fall than fighting the ancient red dragon he had accidentally woken up.

Brock, Halfling Druid, 2nd edition D&D. He may have been a halfling, but he had the attitude of a dwarf. Grouchy, irritable, and a bit of a drunkard. He was bound and determined to beat that one guy in physical combat, as he was supposed to to level (In that version, to get to the higher levels of Druid, you had to defeat a Druid of that level. The DM had it that each level had a different contest. One of them was nonmagical, non-enhanced combat. Which Brock sucked at.)

Raga, Worg Barbarian, 3.5. Didn't get that far in the game. Was on this forum even. I had a lot of fun, for as long as it lasted.

There were lots of others, but enough of them were in game systems outside of D&D.

Miles Invictus
2007-10-27, 01:47 AM
I'm rather happy with the Ranger I'm currently playing. It's great being able to contribute to situations inside and outside of combat.

The_Snark
2007-10-27, 02:07 AM
Hmmmm...

Well, let's see. I've often enjoyed playing a druid, almost always using the PHBII Shapeshift variant; it's probably more balanced, and I love at-will abilities in any case. They're most fun when you wander about in the wilderness a lot, of course, because they have spectacular nature-oriented skills and plenty of handy spells to back that up, but they certainly aren't useless in urban environments. In combat, you can either shapeshift and charge in, or cast spells from behind, or cast a spell or two and then charge in. Summoned monsters are also very versatile. The class is versatile enough in terms of flavor that you can be a rigid, priest-like person, a benevolent sage, or a simple wanderer.

Or a rapacious predator. I did that once with a druid, too. I particularly like varying them based on environment; the environment-based books contain a lot of neat material.

I've also had a couple fun warlocks, although I don't like to play them too often; there's not a great deal of variety in their combat tactics.

Hawriel
2007-10-27, 02:29 AM
I just love playing a personality to the hilt..as it where.

rogues to me are the most versatile in consept I include bards. Its all about consept. you can be any thing a fighter type who as daft and sneaky playing off your mobility and using the enviornment to your advantage. swashbuckler tavern fight need a say more. I love that its totaly in character that I stabbed a guard out of the blue in the middle of a conversation with him because I was running short on time. he was an evil guard. Being a rogue dispite the sturn paladins wishes is just good times. I bluffed my way into pirat crews to infiltrate them....what yeah to infiltrate, no of corse I didnt sign a enlistment contract...well I wasnt going to do the whole year....look do you want me to help bring the pirat lord down or not!!! Well I figured talking them into 2 sharse of the spoiles was justafied...there is an orphanage in my home village...

Clerics great fun I have a dwarf cleric of Moradin of corse.
I converted a small tribe of orcs to Moradin. The party was in a dungeon we entered a room and there they where 50 orcs. I cast enthral and start preaching. an hour later I had to have a conversation with Moradin about totaly converting 50 orcs to him he didnt know what to make of it but said I must have done a very good thing that was worthy of note. I also rolled a nat 20 doing it. or they critticly failed their saves or both I cant remember.
I later settiled in a human village I over time converted 30% to Moradin. there peist turned out to have betrayed the village, his replacment fell to vampierism. My cleric was a constant stable moral force in the comunity. Oh I built a temple to my god, the first thing that was in total working order was the holy brewery. I was also the moral guid to another player who played a dwarven fighter. With my guidence he saw the light and became a paladin as my cleric as his mentor.

mage.
being a pyro can be fun but I like to think outside the blast radius. again consept how would a theif mage use magic? example back in 2nd ed I was running for my life and ran right into an enemy cleric wagging her fingers and looking right at me. I was ahead of her in initative so I cast forget. I miss that spell. I pull it off she not only forgot what spell she was casting but what she was doing and why lost that action and her next. need I say backstab? I then heard the guy chasing me pulled out a packet of ground pepper tossed it in the poor clerics eyes and continued running. cant dispel that blindness.

I give examples not to brag but to show you what I did with my characters becouse of the consept I had of them. my goal is to give a personality and play it to its fullest. the rogue a swashbuckling conartist. Or a thief with magic. the Cleric well I play as what I think a true paladin should be. He is a guide, protectore and advocate to thoughs in need. He tries his best to fallow Moradins wisdom and impart that wisdom to his congregation. He is an adventurer so he believes in speading the word. Not nessasarily to convert but to be a diplomat of sorts for Moradin and the dwarven comunity. He believes in a knightly code of conduct. Service to his god, his king but most of all thoughs who he protects his comunity.

This is what I find fun. Its playing the character. Think of a class and what kind of personaleties can go with it. If I had to chose a class (es) I most enjoy it would be the Rogue/bard again bards are rogues who sing. I also love the ranger. its not just the balance between good fighting and skill set. Its what I can do with it. Guardian of the forest/community explorer of new lands, bounty hunter, lone wolf, Kings most loyal scout, hunter. I never played a strate mage, the only sorc I played well she died befor I could start having fun with her. I guess unlike every one els on these boards exept for a cleric I Ive always thought of magic users as the dip classes.

Edit PS and spelling
Oh forgot. Clerics most charished magic item that he created. you know the decanter of endless water? well he and stien of endless beer. It was holey beer. stout.

Darkantra
2007-10-27, 03:31 AM
My two favorite characters were Adam Shardscar and Khwe-Pehk.

Adam was a Fighter/Swashbuckler who only became a swashbuckler after seeing a pirate ride a chandelier to freedom. He was a pretty beefy guy but had an idealistic dream of being a dashing figure. He could jump and climb well but sucked at tumbling. The party got annoyed quickly but the players loved it whenever he'd start combat by falling down a flight of stairs. The best moment was when Adam tried to tumble past a lizardman who wielded a flaming burst morningstar, rolled a one on his check, got critically hit and caught on fire, was ruled to be blinded by fire and pain, and proceeded to blindly tripple critical three enemies before dropping to negatives.

Khwe-Pehk was a Rogue/Sorcerer dragonwrought kobold who was rescued from slavery and pledged himself to the party of humans. The DM actually forgot that I was a kobold and threw a whole dungeon of kobolds at us, which I diplomacied into submission. From that point on I had a small strike team of kobolds who shadowed the party, prepared meals, trapped our camp site at night, repeatedly scr*wed with the paladin and set rope traps up in every temple to Garl Glittergold we came accross. The paladin was going over the edge after a while, he kept getting evil readings from the kobolds but since they were duitiful he couldn't do anything about it. He ignored my kobolds warnings in a dungeon and got hit by a trap that knocked him into negatives and unconciousness. Khwe-Pehk and his kobolds proceeded to tar and feather him (my kobolds carried everything!), string him upside down from the ceiling. I then cursed him with four sepearate spells (reroll natural 20s, animals hate you, all dragon types instantly distrust you, lost his weapon focus feat) before running back to the party and telling them that he had run off. Things didn't go too well for Khwe-Pehk afterwards, but it was worth it.

Temp
2007-10-27, 03:50 AM
The Chameleon. It's fun to have options. It's fun to have something to play with optimization-wise. The class has both. It's just so beautiful all-around...

And Bards are always fun, especially with Bardic Knack, just to get back to the options thing. They're entire spell list seems to consist of the most entertaining spells in the core game (beside Polymorph, but most DMs don't like that spell much anyway).

I suspect the Factotum would be neat too, but I haven't seen it beyond a few glances in a bookstore.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-10-27, 03:56 AM
For me, a dragon born battle sorcerer....with a priest of Tiamat in the party.........do you guys remember Evan's spiked tentacles of forced intrusion? MUHAAAHAHAHA!

Yup, that was really, really fun.

Karma Guard
2007-10-27, 03:59 AM
Nyss-K'kar, Githyanki Paladin of Tyr. (ftr1/Pal2, 1 LA bought off)

Lawful Good man from a Lawful Evil race, Nyss was called into Tyr's service as a Mighty Paladin of Justice and Kicking Evil in the Face*. There was a holy dream and everything.

He's short-tempered, cranky, and finds most human (and humanoid) practices barbaric. Orphanages? HORRIBLE D: Eggs? HORRIBLE D: Horses? STUPID D:< Elves? PONCES D:<. He's nosy, foul-mouthed and blunt, overly informal and somewhat barbaric (it's his nickname, in fact!) and has a bad habit of tasting things to see if they're good to eat or not. Despite all this, he really is a good person, deep inside, and is really compassionate and all about helping his fellow man (by getting him a job at the church). He's strong as an ox and twice as tough, six feet tall and this close to spitting a Breath Weapon.

He is also terrified of dragons, and keeps an agonizingly well-maintained journal in Common, which isn't even his second language, but he's learning! Because history is important. Being remembered is important, and Nys-K'kar, son of Myan-lilek, outcast but ever-faithful Son of Gith will not be forgotten. B|

He also likes kitties.

*Face kicking not guaranteed by Tyr. Please consult your local priest for details.
---

So what I mean by this is that Paladins are great rocking fun and I love them.

Drascin
2007-10-27, 04:10 AM
I personally have found that pretty much anything from ToB can be a blast to play. The things in there have so far complemented every type of warrior I've wanted to roleplay (Diamond Mind is a freaking godsend to fencers), they alleviate me from the work of maximizing (since they're very competent with baseline choices), and are all around pretty awesome.

I also love playing Seers (though that might be because I'm an insufferable know-it-all :smalltongue:) and druids.

BDS
2007-10-27, 06:26 AM
I personally enjoy Clerics alot...very strong and make for great RPing.

Swooper
2007-10-27, 07:06 AM
I have preferred playing wizards since before I started even playing AD&D (in computer games and such, the spellcaster is usually the first class I try). Perhaps because those types typically have way more options than non-casters. I like the planning aspect of the wizard mechanically, and find them interesting to roleplay. When 3rd Edition came up with sorcerers, I liked those immediately too. The 'I have arcane energies bubbling out my ears' thing appeals to me.

I like the ToB classes, although I haven't had the pleasure of playing any of them for more than a couple of weeks in PbP that ended on the first initiative roll... Hopefully I'll get the oppurtunity to do so soon.

For some reason, I have never taken a liking to divine casters, perhaps because I'm an atheist myself. I did play a elven druid once, but never liked her much. I admit though, I had fun playing a paladin for twenty-two whole levels some years ago. It helped that I was playing a wizard alongside him, though.

bugsysservant
2007-10-27, 07:59 AM
Bah, rogues (or bards, beguilers, factotums, etc.)are the most fun to play. Nothing like bluffing your way past a group of the BBEG's henchmen only to sneak attack them all in the back.

I also enjoy clerics, dread necromancers, and the good old warblade. Stabbing things in the head really is underrated these days.

Sledge_bro
2007-10-27, 08:21 AM
Where is the sorceror love? :smalleek:

It's no about blasting. well, it is sort of, but If you pick some spells you like, you can really have some fun with them :smallbiggrin:

mabye everyone is scared by hennet and his belts....

mostlyharmful
2007-10-27, 08:25 AM
:smallbiggrin: Absentminded Wizards, Kleptomaniac rogues and overcompensating Monks

Green Bean
2007-10-27, 08:27 AM
Where is the sorceror love? :smalleek:

It's no about blasting. well, it is sort of, but If you pick some spells you like, you can really have some fun with them :smallbiggrin:

I loves me a good sorcerer. It usually play arcane artillery, focusing mainly on blasty-type spells. Sometimes, I pick up levels of Archmage so I can toss around Coldballs, and Cones of Acid. Plus, high Charisma and my willingness to stick some cross-class in Diplomacy/Bluff means that I can also be the party's face.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-27, 08:31 AM
Duskblades - only played it once but it was great fun. Want to go into melee and sling spells? No problem. Low on HP and want to stay back and sling spells or fire arrows? Well with a duskblade you can do both.

Sure the spell selection isn't great but you could easily get your DM to add some spells (I would recomend Caltrops, Light and Shield).The low HD does mean you're a bit squishy though.

Warblades are just as fun too. Maneuvers are the nearest most tanks get to spells and the high HD and BAB are good as well.

Warblades also have diplomacy meaning in social situations they aren't left standing at the back going "ug ug ug" like fghters/barbarians.

Yvanehtnioj
2007-10-27, 09:02 AM
I currently play a cleric / Elemental Savant (air). My domains are Air and Water.

Every other level, my DM has altered a physical descriptor of my char: first my eyes changed to sky blue, then my clothes ripple now and then as if blown by a wind. Soon, the weight of my char (not equipment) is going to be lessened, and he even told me later on that my hair color will change. It will turn white, with portions of it sometimes appearing grey / smoky in color. It's really a lot of fun. I have to say that this is one of the char's that I have had the most fun with.

I think I will try for a fire savant next character. :smallwink:

SilverClawShift
2007-10-27, 09:15 AM
Factotum. You want to talk about just fun to play? You can do a little bit of whatever it is that needs to be done. You don't automatically upstage the rest of the party, but you can lend a hand anywhere.

Binder is also a heap of fun to play. One of my favorite characters was an outlaw changeling binder, that the authorities couldn't catch because I was an entirely different person (with a new list of abilities) every day.
The DM even let me qualify for Chameleon, with the whole "part doppleganger" fluff changelings have going on.

Leon
2007-10-27, 09:47 AM
Ranger's - played quite a few over time and i keep coming back for more, Archery is a favorite

Druids - Variants always, none of this wildshape crap that comes with the basic deal. My current Druid is a great example, on the verge of leaping into a very flavorful PrC to further my goals (Kill all Defilers and restore what we can of Athas)

Sorcerer/Battle Sorcerer's - Into the action faster, aslong as you give some thought to spell selction you can handle most situations well enough. Battle Sorc's fix my lust for magic and mixing it up in combat and done right can make a mighty fine Warcaster

Fighter - Nothing like the basic made to order combatant, hitting stuff so hard its not coming back with 4ft of razorsharp adamantine while clad in the finest mithral plate.

P.S. The abovementioned Fighter is a Elf

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-27, 02:55 PM
I generally have the most fun at low levels when things are more challenging since the PCs can't completely alter reality around them yet. Fighters and Beguilers which have supplemented the Sorcerer and the Spellcaster.

skywalker
2007-10-27, 03:05 PM

So I'm no longer allowed to think elves are fun because you don't like them? That said, one of my favorite characters was a party boy duskblade elf who drank a lot of rum.

I also enjoyed a barbarian I uber-rolled for(lowest stat was INT at 13). Battle-cry: "I say sir, I do believe I'll rip your arms off!"

I also enjoyed playing a swordsage, being able to do anything was quite enjoyable.

StickMan
2007-10-27, 03:10 PM
I love the Druid and not cause its strong but for the pure flavor of the thing. Warforged Psion shaper is fun, making a bunch of little mini versions of your self or well large versions of your self later on, and you can self repair.

Yeril
2007-10-27, 03:13 PM
My two funnest characters were both barbarians.

An ogre barbarian was fun in the whole "RARGH I SMASH YOU NOWS!"

and then use his corpse to beat up his mates.

and of course, Tim-yik the kobold barbarian. "Tim-yiik Kieeel yoou! kekekeke!"

Collin152
2007-10-27, 03:16 PM
Everbody knows the answer to this one... "Bards have more fun."

Balog
2007-10-27, 03:19 PM
I've always enjoyed skill based characters the most. Rogues, tech specs in Star Wars etc. But then, I generally find combat boring after a while and look for other stuff to do.

bosssmiley
2007-10-27, 03:19 PM
Barbarian: fear writing, wig out, smash stuff. Win! :smallbiggrin:
Knight: irritate the enemy into attacking you and become better for it. :smallconfused:
Warblade: fighter as it was meant to be all along. :smallcool:
Jade Pheonix Mage: ASPLODE!!!

captain_decadence
2007-10-27, 03:35 PM
I am not a powergamer, as I don't really know how, but I love to play clerics. I love RPing and I feel that clerics in D&D have great opportunity for roleplaying. How do you really feel about your god? What does it mean that other gods are just as valid as your own? If you fail, does it mean that you weren't trying hard enough, it was the whims of fate or that your god did not help you in your time of need.

I don't like to think of my characters as thinking "I have four spell slots and have to pick from this list". Mostly, they just pray and if something happens, they are pleasantly surprised. If nothing happens, well, she carries a broadsword for a reason...

Roderick_BR
2007-10-27, 04:09 PM
Paladins. I just love me the "knight in shinning armo" stereotype. You got to kick ass (relatively) and be good.
A funny thing to do is being a dwarven paladin, and either play a "sarge" type (his charisma is all on "leadership" personality, not "group face" personality), or an actually cheerful dwarf, always listening to the group, and with a deep by loud laugh. Imagine that uncle that likes to tell jokes and his "tales" on weekends.

After that, I mostly pick a class to fit a campaign.

Toliudar
2007-10-27, 04:11 PM
I love characters with options - so skillmonkeys and full casters are great for that. I feel like I'm contributing to the story, providing support to the other characters, etc. Rarely have I so enjoyed a warrior-type as to want to play them for an extended period, and those exceptions have always been because of interactions with the other players.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-10-27, 04:27 PM
I always have the most fun with gishes, particularly martial adept ones. I have a fairly chaotic personality so I like being able to keep my options open from round to round, especially if I have spells that enhance my combat, making it effectively create three potential things out of the original two.
But martial adept/arcanists just leave untold amounts of options open to do what I love the most; ending life.:smallbiggrin:

BardicDuelist
2007-10-27, 05:20 PM
The most fun classes for me are: Bard, Factotum, and Rogue.

They are always useful, have a slew of options, and just make for a fun character, to me at least.

Enzario
2007-10-27, 06:02 PM
Warlock. Why?

Baleful Utterance: Drop the F-bomb, blow s*** up.

Alex12
2007-10-27, 06:25 PM
Psions are fun. You can shoot laser beams from your fingers at level 1, run on walls and ceilings without spending PP, move faster than normal for your race, etc. Of course, I also play strange races (Synads, Illithids, stuff that isn't normal PC fare) partly because of the cool abilities, but mostly for the roleplaying opportunities ("Yes, I do need to eat brains to survive, but not that often! And I've never eaten the brain of any sentient that didn't attack me first."-LG psion Mind Flayer)

Snadgeros
2007-10-27, 06:42 PM
From the sounds of it, it seems I should really pick up Tome of Battle for most of the fun classes. Also, my DM will absolutely NOT allow psionics, under any circumstances. He's likes to keep the games balanced so we forbid the BoED and BoVD and never make it past level 11 or so. Thus far it's working great! I just hope he's not anti-ToB.

Setra
2007-10-27, 06:43 PM
Whatever class you choose, make sure the character is blond.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-27, 06:46 PM

Sorry, some of my favorite characters include elves. So pfft. :smalltongue: (why the dislike, by the way? :smallconfused: )

As for classes, however... depends on mood a lot. I like psions and wizards for their flexibility (in that their flexibility also lends itself well to a wide range of roleplay styles), but a good ranger or bard can provide a lot of flavor also.

In general, for fun games, I prefer the core classes to the ToB and PH2 ones -- except the Knight is a nice and characterful choice. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

Alex12
2007-10-27, 06:46 PM
Also, my DM will absolutely NOT allow psionics, under any circumstances.
Out of curiosity, why?

Collin152
2007-10-27, 06:50 PM
Out of curiosity, why?

Most likely because it doesn't fit his setting.

Snadgeros
2007-10-27, 07:52 PM
Out of curiosity, why?

He finds them overpowered. I wouldn't know, but based on his other decisions, I trust him.

Sorry, some of my favorite characters include elves. So pfft. :smalltongue: (why the dislike, by the way? :smallconfused: )

I don't like elves mainly because of the immense overuse of them. We're a party of seven and THREE of our members insisted on being elves, one of whom rerolled later on as, you guessed it, another elf! It seems like in every game I ever play half of the people always want to be elves! Hell, just go look at WoW, they have two races of them.:smallmad: I mean, yes they have their uses (no sleep means you get night watch!) but for some reason they also insist on being spellcasters, so they have to sleep!:smallfurious:

Elves are not the only subjects of my hatred though. I dislike goblins as well, they're just generic NPC enemies! Come on DMs! Be more original! Half-breeds suck too. Why does WotC insist that that humans will screw anything that moves? How would a half-dragon work, you know, MECHANICALLY? Why can't there be half-elf, half-orc crossbreeds? Just make a half-breed template, plug in any two races and voila! Problem solved. Lastly, I hate monk-haters.

Alex12
2007-10-27, 08:01 PM
He finds them overpowered. I wouldn't know, but based on his other decisions, I trust him.
Really? Psionics overpowered? It was in earlier editions, but in 3.5 psionics is actually fairly balanced. Oh, well, Rule 0 and all.:smallsmile:

Lord Zentei
2007-10-27, 08:03 PM
I don't like elves mainly because of the immense overuse of them. We're a party of seven and THREE of our members insisted on being elves, one of whom rerolled later on as, you guessed it, another elf! It seems like in every game I ever play half of the people always want to be elves! Hell, just go look at WoW, they have two races of them.:smallmad: I mean, yes they have their uses (no sleep means you get night watch!) but for some reason they also insist on being spellcasters, so they have to sleep!:smallfurious:

Elves are not the only subjects of my hatred though. I dislike goblins as well, they're just generic NPC enemies! Come on DMs! Be more original! Half-breeds suck too. Why does WotC insist that that humans will screw anything that moves? How would a half-dragon work, you know, MECHANICALLY? Why can't there be half-elf, half-orc crossbreeds? Just make a half-breed template, plug in any two races and voila! Problem solved. Lastly, I hate monk-haters.

Well, I can see that overuse (particularly on the scale you describe) would be frustrating, though as the saying goes "hate the player, not the game". :smallwink:

As for the half-dragons: as I understand it, they come from polymorphed dragons. And they, at least have a template, though in general, I agree with your rants on half-whatevers.

Enlong
2007-10-27, 08:20 PM
Two words my friends, Drunken Master. A class based around drunkenness who can use anything as a weapon and can rewards crazy thinking? Yes please! I've never used one myself, but I'm going to do so in an upcoming Sigil Prep game in real life. It'll be so much fun!

Alex12
2007-10-27, 08:27 PM
Two words my friends, Drunken Master. A class based around drunkenness who can use anything as a weapon and can rewards crazy thinking? Yes please! I've never used one myself, but I'm going to do so in an upcoming Sigil Prep game in real life. It'll be so much fun!

*Googles*
*reads*
:smallconfused:

:smalleek:

:smallsmile:

:smallbiggrin:

That is hilarious!
Link for those without the relevant book
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010105

triforcel
2007-10-27, 08:30 PM
I've always been fond of playing rogues and monks for both roleplaying and mechanical reasons. Rogues skill selection and less specific than people I know realize class abilities make for a wide variety of character concepts, and Monks are just cool :smalltongue: . Seriously though, you can play a monk just as many ways as you can play any other class with alignment restrictions so they can be fun. Occasionally though I have the yearning to play a caster and when I do I go Sorcerer in core and usually Warlock outside of that. I really rather be limited to doing a few things when I want than have to plan out every spell I think I'll need ahead of time.

*Edit* Just wanted to point out that the table in Alex's link has the special column from Devoted Defender tacked on the end of it. Which is an interesting class that I've always wanted to play but never gotten the chance.

0oo0
2007-10-27, 09:08 PM
Elves are not the only subjects of my hatred though. I dislike goblins as well, they're just generic NPC enemies! Come on DMs! Be more original!

Might I direct your attention to This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59340&highlight=goblin+defense) thread?

triforcel
2007-10-27, 09:41 PM

This reminds me of a guy I played with who played elven casters because he, and apparently his old DM believed that elven casters only needed four hours of rest to replenish there spells. When his mistake was pointed out, he loudly exclaimed, "Then there's no reason to play an elf!"

But let's face it, there are a lot of Tolkien fans who play DnD and anyone who has passing familiarity with that world knows that Tolkien elves are all demigods.

Elves are not the only subjects of my hatred though. I dislike goblins as well, they're just generic NPC enemies! Come on DMs! Be more original! Half-breeds suck too. Why does WotC insist that that humans will screw anything that moves? How would a half-dragon work, you know, MECHANICALLY? Why can't there be half-elf, half-orc crossbreeds? Just make a half-breed template, plug in any two races and voila! Problem solved.

Half Dragon works through polymorph, I believe it says so right in the half dragon entry of the MM. Even without it you can always claim that a wizard did it :smallbiggrin: . As for the preconceived notions of all Goblins/Orcs/Kobolds being things to kill, you might enjoy the Eberron campaign setting where such being actually have a rich and successful history before their lands were invaded, etc.

Galathir
2007-10-27, 10:29 PM
Beguiler from PHBII is one of my favorite classes. I love mind control and avoiding combat so this is perfect.

I also love the swordsage from ToB. Lots of fun.

hamstard4ever
2007-10-27, 10:33 PM

Lies! Goblins are awesome. Especially goblins that hate monks.

Especially goblin wizards that hate monks! In fact I think my next character is going to be a half-goblin, half-elf wizard with a single level of ranger for favored enemy (monk). None of this is technically possible but it will happen anyway, because it is awesome.

(edited to say: no, I'm not just randomly bashing stuff just to be contrary. It's not the goblins' fault if DMs just use them as generic fodder instead of using them as a full-fledged race; when you get down to it they are much less generic enemies than, say, humans. I genuinely like playing wizards, even at low levels where they're merely useful instead of godlike. And um... the other stuff I guess I did get kind of carried away, although I do like elves and half-orcs and dislike monks.)

thorgrim29
2007-10-27, 10:57 PM
Lol.... I had a lot of fun with a grandiloquent human warblade, Arcimon the impetuous, knight of cydonia, the dragonslayer, savior of (some town I helped save). Only problem was my DM thinks strong characters are anathema to rp and balance (dispite playing an insanely strong elven wizard, but hey, the guy can be a bit annoying but he's basically a good dm), so I had to roll up a new one... Sniff. He was also a bit tirerd I insisted on keeping the head of said dragon on a chariot.... Another fun thing to do is a changeling....... A crazy, and not totally legit idea I had was a multiclass elven paladin of freedom/elven ranger (UA, RoTW). I'm thinking of using that in the "world is dominated by drow" game we have going.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-27, 11:05 PM
I have always wanted to play a D'hin'ni (a outsider Halfling race with Prestidigitation at will) Warlock who is 10 years old, has dreams about being the world's best chef, and wears a collinder on his head. Why? I don't know?

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-27, 11:28 PM
You certainly like blades, don't you? I'm more fond of unique weapons, like a scythe or a spiked chain.

I totally want to play a warscythe now . . . :smallbiggrin:

triforcel
2007-10-27, 11:30 PM
I once played a Janni rogue who once killed a dragon by goading it into trying to swallow him and then turning ethereal to fly into the dragons brain cavity before rematerializing and proceeding to hack the saps brains to pieces. That was a fun character.

Suzuro
2007-10-28, 12:40 AM
Okay, here is a character that I am currently playing and having a blast with, Grog, my Half-Orc Barbarian. He does alright in combat, usually just jumps on someones face, rips a couple of goblins in half before getting beaten up. But, wha's really fun is out of battle

One time Grog picked up a log to use as a non-lethal weapon, and he began carrying it around all the time, so we were invited to a party to celebrate us saving the town, and all Grog would say was "I'll bring my wood." Also, right after being invited, Grog decided he was hungry, and ate the wrist band of the captain of the guard, which was followed by much cursing and grog saying something along the lines of "It taste like hard."

Also, when on a mission or something, most times I'll try sneaking past some guards, but will fail miserably. This will cause a couple guards to look for me, while I try to snap the neck of one guard, curb stomp the other, and avoid detection by anyone else....it didn't work. Needless to say, Grog has much face ripping to do for the next few minutes.

Snadgeros
2007-10-28, 01:49 AM
Oh god! I TOTALLY need to give my monk levels in drunken master now! That class is awesome! Do you think I could use that improvised weapon ability to swing our halfling druid at the enemies?

What's even better is that I actually have the book for it (Sword and Fist). I never really looked over it though, since it's got lots for fighters but pretty little for monks.

0oo0
2007-10-28, 01:51 AM
They rewrote the Drunken Master in Complete Warrior. I can't remember exactly what they changed, but I think I prefer the CW version, if for no other reason than being 3.5

Temp
2007-10-28, 02:06 AM
From the sounds of it, it seems I should really pick up Tome of Battle for most of the fun classes. Also, my DM will absolutely NOT allow psionics, under any circumstances. He's likes to keep the games balanced so we forbid the BoED and BoVD and never make it past level 11 or so. Thus far it's working great! I just hope he's not anti-ToB.

From the sounds of it, your group is probably not the most heavily optimizing (Psions/Wilders/Psychic Warriors are generally weaker than Wizards/Sorcerers/Clerics, just easier to build). As such, your DM will probably see ToB as obscenely overpowered--it's far less difficult to build a powerful Warblade than it is to build a powerful Fighter. If he's the only DM in your group, maybe get him to look over the book before putting money down for it.

Extra_Crispy
2007-10-28, 04:10 AM
For some reason, I have never taken a liking to divine casters, perhaps because I'm an atheist myself. I did play a elven druid once, but never liked her much. I admit though, I had fun playing a paladin for twenty-two whole levels some years ago. It helped that I was playing a wizard alongside him, though.

I am just the opposite. I am also atheist but love playing paladins and clerics. It unfortunatly has gotten to the point where my group expects me to play either a paladin or cleric depending on if they need a fighting class or a healer. Currently I am playing a cleric of Illimater. He is funny because he is 6'3" (rolled randomly) 180 lbs but only has a 8 strength. Has had long conversations with another character about helping others and healing, not so much trying to convert him to illimater but more trying to make him a better more lawful person. Unknown to my cleric the other character is the son of a Chaotic good nature god. Basically I am the healing battery from hell with some attack spells for back up as needed.

Another character I enjoyed playing because of the RP and interesting party interactions was a fighter that was later given the nick-name of the "lawful Nazi" He was lawful neutral and as I described to the GM but not to the other players "a outsider of pure law is about what he is." His king made the laws and his words were law, basically I told the GM that if the king told me to kill all the children in the city I would do everything in my power to do just that, as or protect them if I was ordered to do that. His word was law and I would follow the letter of the law no matter what. Funny interactions with the mostly chaotic good other party members, espically the party rogue.

I agree that any class can be fun to play as long as they are playedk, RP, not just cookie cutter characters. If I can think up a good background and story that fits a rogue I will play a rogue (though actually I dont like to play them much)

Dragor
2007-10-28, 05:14 AM
My first character was a Fighter, and they're quite fun to play. However, my favourite class has to be Knight, from the Players Handbook II. Although the restrictions give you less options in combat, it doesn't really matter: whether you're Good or Evil you have plenty of roleplaying choice. I thoroughly enjoy playing Knights.

Snadgeros
2007-10-28, 01:00 PM
From the sounds of it, your group is probably not the most heavily optimizing (Psions/Wilders/Psychic Warriors are generally weaker than Wizards/Sorcerers/Clerics, just easier to build). As such, your DM will probably see ToB as obscenely overpowered--it's far less difficult to build a powerful Warblade than it is to build a powerful Fighter. If he's the only DM in your group, maybe get him to look over the book before putting money down for it.

Good point. I should check with him first. He hates cheese and gets pissed when one of our abilities is ridiculously powerful. He continually kept throwing shades and undead at us in this recent sidequest, only to have them destroyed in one round by the cleric with improved turning. It got to the point that I would always delay until after the cleric, knowing that any damage I do will be useless as he destroys whatever I was fighting in one fell swoop. He's also not too happy about our sorceror's 6d6 damage shocking grasp, which utterly destroys anything we meet (we're only level 6). Lastly, our dwarven knight has rolled near perfect on ALL of his HP rolls, making him the ultimate sponge.

He tends to retaliate to this kind of stuff. Once he saw the cleric's immense turning power, he threw about two dozen undead at us, so the 5 zombies destroyed per round doesn't cripple the encounter. If he notices the knight sapping all of the damage for the rest of the party, he makes us split up into two parties (as in, there are two staircases leading to the next floor, so we take both for efficiency) and I end up as the second sponge, given my saves and the fact that I'm a melee fighter.