PDA

View Full Version : Undead Decapitation - Brawn over Brains?

Doctor Despair
2020-05-30, 11:31 PM
I was parsing spells for benefits referencing undead creatures when I noticed some spells and effects remove parts of the body. For example, Flaying Tendrils allows you to remove a target's brain, Decapitating Scarf allows you to remove a target's head, and Heart Ripper allows you to remove a target's heart. Now, while Heart Ripper has a clause that, although probably not intended that way, seems to preclude the spell being used on undead...

Creatures that don't depend on their hearts for survival (such as undead and constructs) and creatures with no anatomy (such as oozes) are unaffected by the spell.

... the other two specifically call out that the spells work on undead, but are not fatal.

Constructs and most undead (except vampires) are not immediately killed by decapitation, and take only 6d4 points of damage whether they make their save or not.

Extracting the brain does nothing to constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, or undead, and is not instantly fatal to creatures with multiple heads.

I was wondering: what do you think would happen to an undead whose brain and head were removed, but who was not killed? The text has no provisions for this in the spell, although perhaps there is other material that would help us parse this situation. Take, for example, a Wight, who are intelligent and capable of speech. Would the undead retain control of its body, its brain, its head, all three, or some combination of two of the three? The text of these spells seems to imply that it is no large issue for the undead, but not why it is no issue for the undead creature. What do you think? Is anyone familiar with any rules that would clear up this situation? If not -- how would you personally handle that situation?

the_tick_rules
2020-05-31, 12:49 AM
if it doesn't say they are blinded or deafened or anything I guess they are just chill about not having a head.

ZamielVanWeber
2020-05-31, 02:39 AM
if it doesn't say they are blinded or deafened or anything I guess they are just chill about not having a head.

Xel'lotath zombies, are those you?

Zanos
2020-05-31, 04:36 AM
It depends greatly on the undead in question. Vampires are explicitly killed by decapitation(per vorpal and their own description), and should also die instantly. I believe some other more esoteric undead also have a clause that they gotta have a head. An undead that's meticulously assembled and animated rather than a reanimated corpse might also have something that is actually important in its brain area.

It isn't clear if other undead depend on their physical organs for senses. An incorporeal undead probably wouldn't be very bothered since it's more a mass of floating negative energy. A skeleton certainly doesn't have eyes or ears and a zombies are very unlikely to be functional. Even a wight is little more than a pissed off soul infused with negative energy animating its own corpse. It's organs are dead and don't work, so their perception is based on something that is not biological.

I suppose you could rule that they lose any natural attacks tied to the head, probably a bite. And/or that senses are tied to the head in some fashion and render the creature blind/deaf by decapitation? But I don't think there's really RAW or lore to support an undead being dependent on any particular body part to sense things.

Psyren
2020-05-31, 02:31 PM
Libris Mortis says their senses extend to their sensory organs, but it doesn't say they need them. Taking out a zombie's eyes (especially when a zombie might not have them to begin with) doesn't seem like it should impair them in any way.

My personal take - Pathfinder already covered off on this as much as it needed to be by making (corporeal) undead subject to sneak attacks and crits. Just fluff those heavier hits as headshots, hamstrings and whatnot. Being susceptible to those also allows you to use called shots on them, taking out limbs etc to impede movement or attacks.

RNightstalker
2020-06-02, 02:12 PM
Extracting the brain does nothing to constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, or undead, and is not instantly fatal to creatures with multiple heads.

I would believe an undead that loses its head and/or brains would be unaffected.