PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back Into The Swing Of Things [IC]

JNAProductions
2020-05-31, 09:44 AM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612256-Getting-Back-Into-The-Swing-Of-Things-OOC&p=24507092#post24507092)

You are all residents of Oakenleaf. You've been here for varying amounts of time, but long enough to think of the little village as your home.

Recently, though, cattle have been disappearing. Ominous signs have been seen. The fort that overlooks your home, long since abandoned, is likely the source.

Mayor Meekly has called you all, along with Michael Carpenter (who was, in times past, a noble knight working for the forces of good-in his duties, though, he was injured and can no longer fight well) to address the situation.

As you come to his home, you see him readying a pot of tea. "Thank you for coming," he says as he pours the beverage into a cup for each of you. "I wouldn't be asking this of you if I thought there was another way, but... Well, as far as I can tell, there isn't. We all know the problems we've been having. I would like you all to investigate the fort, and find out how we can make Oakenleaf safe again."

Dimers
2020-06-01, 03:07 AM
"I owe you, Mayor," acknowledges a tall human. Cutter is wearing tidy, clean clothes of the sort that pass for finery in a very rural area, plus a couple wicked-looking knives as usual. "Not saying I'd give you my firstborn or anything, but frankly, I've been waiting for you to bring this up. I can leave any time -- and the sooner the better, as far as William thinks." He frowns momentarily. It's an ugly combination, kids who throw themselves into trouble like it's a game and parents who would prefer their offspring glued to the floor.

Powerdork
2020-06-01, 06:46 AM
"So let's go over the facts," proposes one of the half-elves (the one who dresses finer than any local).
"Livestock has been going missing. People are getting spooked. There's a bad moon, I hear?"

JNAProductions
2020-06-01, 11:28 AM
"Bad omens," Michael says. "Not sure if the moon is part of it."

masteraleph
2020-06-01, 06:19 PM
How long has the fort been unoccupied, anyways? And why did that happen in the first place?
It's been empty since I got here, but that's only been a few months.

JNAProductions
2020-06-01, 07:47 PM
The mayor replies, saying "Since before I even came here. I would suppose it was occupied when I was a youth, but I wasn't here then. It's an old imperial fort-they're all over the place, usually empty of anything."

OracleofSilence
2020-06-04, 04:16 AM
Brynjar shifts slightly, attempting to shift the large sledge at his hooves into a more comfortable position. "If we are to investigate, let us be about it. Unless you know who or what's in there."

Dimers
2020-06-04, 04:57 AM
Cutter muses about "usually empty of everything". Yeah, no need to leave any form of wealth behind when you leave. But the structure itself is wealth, so I can't really understand why no one would cling to that. Well, maybe someone's claimed it now ...

Brynjar shifts slightly, attempting to shift the large sledge at his hooves into a more comfortable position. "If we are to investigate, let us be about it. Unless you know who or what's in there."

"One clue to that would be how the livestock disappeared -- like, from where, and were there signs of a fight? Not that I'm not eager to go too, Brynjar. But any information might help."

JNAProductions
2020-06-04, 12:42 PM
Michael responds, saying "It seems like something large grabbed them. There were sizable footprints, though of what exactly, I couldn't tell you. And the smell... Something rotten. Something decomposing, it seemed. We think it might be undead, but we can't be certain yet."

Dimers
2020-06-04, 10:24 PM
Cutter grimaces. "Uch. That's not good. Maybe I should invest in an extra torch or seven."

JNAProductions
2020-06-04, 10:26 PM
The mayor nods. "I've talked to the other families, and they'd be happy to chip in what they can. Torches, rations, water... Anything you need."

masteraleph
2020-06-04, 10:56 PM
"I'm used to living on the road," says Adrie, "but if you've got a fresh waterskin and some rations, I wouldn't say know. Otherwise, I'd be willing to take a look, if the rest of you are."

OracleofSilence
2020-06-07, 05:32 PM
"As I said, let us be about it."

JNAProductions
2020-06-07, 08:37 PM
We ready to move on to the journey?

JNAProductions
2020-06-08, 11:07 AM
You gather all the needed supplies, food, water, torches... Clarissa, the local tinker, gives you a few sunrods and healing potions.

List any supplies you want in your next post or in the OOC. Can't guarantee you'll get them all, but worth asking, neh?

It's a good three day trek to the fort from the center of town-at least, if you're not hurrying too hard. And since you'll want to be ready for anything, you do not force yourselves too hard. The first two days of travel are okay, if marred by steady rainfall. But on the third day, as you draw nearer to the fort, you feel an ominous sensation... You travel a little more slowly, careful to keep an eye out for any potential nastiness. Your caution is rewarded-you see, lumbering down from the fort, two shambling corpses. What was once alive is now animated by a fell force, and before you get the chance to hide yourselves, they spot you. Their jaws open in a vacant moan, and they start shambling towards you.

Encounter Number 1!

You've got at least five turns before the zombies close the distance, if you don't draw nearer yourselves. There's an open path leading up to the fort, with undergrowth off to the side.

Dimers
2020-06-08, 04:24 PM
"Perfect time for a crossbow," Cutter mutters, kneeling down to get something from his pack.

Well, heck, if we can get more equipment -- how 'bout a hand crossbow and some bolts? I'd also like one or more Four Sided Caltrops, if I can take that in place of healing potions.

If I do in fact have a crossbow and the foes are within 20 squares, I'll take a potshot: [roll0] (including the penalty for long range), [roll1] damage. The presumable zombies have already acted, so I don't get CA, so no Sneak Attack.

If they aren't in the 20-square range but might be soon, Cutter will Ready An Action to shoot the first one that is.