PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade, is melee lock worth it?

Zotharius
2020-05-31, 03:50 PM
So my DM is planning to start a Curse of Strahd run starting at level 1 and I've been wanting to make a hexblade with Pact of the Blade.

The only problem is, as much as I LOVE being able to just summon up my weapons and the versatility it offers with Improved Pact Weapon (being able to keep a shield on my back and at will choose a ranged weapon, greatsword or use the shield with a longsword is just sick imo), I've begun to think.... why would I ever decide to use a weapon over say.... EldritchBlast? I find it hard to beat the whole 2, 3 and then 4 attacks(+agonizing blast), plus the ability to do so at range and keep a shield on...

Is there a way to make it worth using pact weapons over blasting without dipping TOO hard into multiclassing? (I love multiclassing but I do want to stay heavy into warlock feels) maybe swashbuckler rogue? 8 levels looks good but thats a BIG dip.

*PS, I'd like to probs stick to medium armor if possible for stealthy reasons but if it's really that big a deal, I GUESS i can use heavy*

Chaos Jackal
2020-05-31, 05:16 PM
A Hexblade bladelock with Thirsting Blade and a greatsword deals more damage than a Hexblade blastlock for the levels CoS suggests. A polearm bladelock with Polearm Master also deals more damage. And both of them pull away even further from EB usage with Great Weapon Master added. They both also benefit more from magic weapons. Eldritch Blast doesn't compete until lv11 when it gets a third shot, and even then with Lifedrinker at lv12 and the potential of feats it stays behind. CoS typically goes up to lv10 by the way.

Bladelocks also make better use of spells like Armor of Agathys and Hellish Rebuke, pumping those numbers further.

So if you want more damage and/or are counting on a magic weapon, a bladelock is stronger. If the frontline is covered and you want the safety of better range and a shield's AC all the time, blastlock is better. Take your pick.

Zotharius
2020-05-31, 05:41 PM
A Hexblade bladelock with Thirsting Blade and a greatsword deals more damage than a Hexblade blastlock for the levels CoS suggests. A polearm bladelock with Polearm Master also deals more damage. And both of them pull away even further from EB usage with Great Weapon Master added. They both also benefit more from magic weapons. Eldritch Blast doesn't compete until lv11 when it gets a third shot, and even then with Lifedrinker at lv12 and the potential of feats it stays behind. CoS typically goes up to lv10 by the way.

Bladelocks also make better use of spells like Armor of Agathys and Hellish Rebuke, pumping those numbers further.

So if you want more damage and/or are counting on a magic weapon, a bladelock is stronger. If the frontline is covered and you want the safety of better range and a shield's AC all the time, blastlock is better. Take your pick.

Wow that was a good bit of info, guess i didnt think about it taking so long dor the extra EB attacks too. Thanks! Do you think i should still consider dipping fighter for heavy armor or 4 lvls swashbuckler for cunning action, sneak attack, and archetype perks? Also, how does TWF sound? O_o

Chaos Jackal
2020-05-31, 06:31 PM
Personally, I very much dislike delaying spell progression. 3-4 levels in rogue for Cha to initiative don't sound very appealing. Assuming you run CoS closely to what the book suggests, you're missing out on 5ths and possibly even 4ths (or you get them very late in the game).

One level in fighter isn't terrible, especially if you skip the Death House and start at lv3 (your lv1 would've been quite annoying otherwise). But it's not that big of a deal either. Some OK goodies (depends on how armor is handed in the game by the way), one level delay on spellcasting progression. Can see both working.

TWF is doable. Hex Warrior automatically applies to the Pact of the Blade weapon, so you can have that and a regular weapon boosted for Cha to attacks. You'll want War Caster however, else you might have some trouble casting. A level in fighter helps more here, the fighting style adds a lot.

Alternatively, you can do it via the Shadow Blade spell. You still want War Caster for that. Be careful, it's strong but a bit clunky. You're reliant on concentration, and you basically have to start every combat with one slot less, while you only have two. Make sure you get plenty of short rests.

Do keep in mind, however, that the offhand attack competes with Hexblade's Curse, as well as Hex if you decide to use it (and you also can't do Hex and Shadow Blade together).

Grod_The_Giant
2020-06-01, 10:54 AM
As Chaos Jackel touched upon, for the first ten levels of your character a bladelock is making just as many attacks with their weapon as with their eldritch blast. With Improved Pact Weapon (assuming a d8 weapon), you'll be just as damaging, a little bit more accurate, and have an extra two points of AC. Anything that boosts your melee attacks will take you over the edge. Hell, take Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade and you're over the edge. When you add a feat like Crossbow Expert or Polearm Master...