PDA

View Full Version : What houserule have you been itching to playtest?

Spiritchaser
2020-05-31, 05:31 PM
Maybe you've been stuck at home with a little extra time to write out ideas.
Maybe your gaming group meets in the basement of a store or local library, and that's on hold for a while.
Maybe you've been DMing your kids, which is a lot of fun, and they're even starting to cooperate now... sometimes... and your son is actually sharing treasure with his younger sister... but it's still probably not the ideal time to sort out the finer implications of rule interactions.
Maybe you still play with your regular group, but for whatever reason, your regular group isn't the ideal one for throwing out test material.
Or maybe you've been crazy busy and have no time to play...

...but you still wish you could test out that tweak you thought of that would perfectly solve that critical shortcoming or balance issue... Unless of course it just totally doesn't, or makes something else horribly worse...

Imagine things change a bit and now you've got a good crew who know the rules pretty well, and might exploit things a bit, but are going to be reasonable adults about it (usually) They'll be up front about what they feel is broken, or at worst, they'll exploit it once for fun, and to prove they can, then drop it eagerly. Absolute worst case? a pint will solve the problem.

Imagine that they've faced a mid game rules change before when something didn't work, and you know that they'll roll with it.

What do you staple to the front of your session 0 handout?
Detailed naval maneuvers for large sailing vessels?
Aerodynamic flying rules?
How you're going with the "other" interpretation of darkness this time around?
A new definition of the charmed condition?
7 pages (double sided) of generic universal DC tables plus another page listing perception ranges under various conditions?

Personally I'd like to test out some rules for reaction "attacks" or at least reactions, taken as opportunity attacks against targets in reach who cast spells. I'm not sure how it'll go with things like green flame blade, and I've got a bunch of different Ideas about how to assess the effectiveness of the disruption, since I'm not at all convinced damage and concentration check is the optimal way...

What would you like to play around with?

nickl_2000
2020-05-31, 06:12 PM
I participate in the homebrew subclasses contests in the homebrew forum (see signature for examples and a full listing). I've play tested several of them, but want to see more of the played and used.

Greywander
2020-06-01, 04:40 AM
I'd kind of like to see my wild magic system be given a good playtest. I've playtested it a bit already, but only at lower levels.

I basically cribbed it from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and adapted it to work with D&D. There are no spell slots, so you can attempt to cast spells as often as you like. When you cast a spell, roll one to four dice and add up the total. If you beat the target DC (depends on the spell level), then the spell casts successfully. Otherwise, the spell fizzles. So why not just roll more dice if it increases your odds of casting the spell? Well, if you roll doubles, triples, or quadruples then you trigger a wild magic surge. These range from "temporary inconvenience" to "roll a new character", depending on severity. Magic is powerful, but dangerous. Even though you can cast as many spells as you like, each one carries a risk of bad things happening.

What I noticed from the playtesting I've done, and what I expect to see just based on the DCs for higher level spells, is that you'll be casting more low level spells and fewer high level spells. I'd really like to see this run alongside a vanilla spellcaster to see how they compare to one another, e.g. having a regular wizard and a wild magic wizard in the same party. What I'm hoping is that they feel different, but still balance against each other pretty well.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-01, 09:53 AM
I haven't got to playtest my Prestige Options all that much, as my current table are all boobies that agreed to not want any houserules, but the short of it is that it replaces the texts for one attribute in a class (like Dexterity for a Monk) into another (like Strength) while having rules for how you can level up.

If you break the rules, you use the default stats. If the rules are true, you can use the Prestige Options rules at any time. This also applies to Multiclassing (so a Strength Monk multiclasses with 13 strength and 13 wisdom).

I also created a change for casters that readies your cast until the start of your next turn if you cast a spell who's spell slot is not less than your proficiency. So if you are level 3, try to cast a level 2 spell, your spell will be delayed. The idea was to create more interactiveness between casters and Martials while telegraphing magic, and honestly to dial back mages in combat since they clearly have more tools than Martials out of combat.

But noobie group, so we aren't doing that this time.