PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cleave

Scottlang
2020-06-01, 03:44 PM
Hello people,

I would like help with understanding the feat cleave;

As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus against a foe within reach. If you hit, you deal damage normally and can make an additional attack (using your full base attack bonus) against a foe that is adjacent to the first and also within reach. You can only make one additional attack per round with this feat. When you use this feat, you take a –2 penalty to your Armor Class until your next turn.

Simple right; now the question come into play: define adjacent in Pathfinder rules.

This is the current play, the witch has taken possession of a Frost Giant, and has created magical armor to keep the body in tow, with healing spells locked and loaded.
The main question I am asking is, I would say adjacent is the square next to the target of your attack, if there is a square open, cleave doesn't carry on. That was my understanding of it, as per the dictionary definition of the the word adjacent, but in this case, we are talking about a Frost Giant doing this with a 10ft reach.

How would you rule this for sake of ease for the game sake?

Thank you

Kurald Galain
2020-06-01, 04:47 PM
adjacent is the square next to the target of your attack, if there is a square open, cleave doesn't carry on.

Yes, that is what "adjacent" means.

Rynjin
2020-06-01, 05:08 PM
Yes, that is what "adjacent" means.

Correct.

As an expansion for the OP, the game makes a specific distinction between the wording "within your reach" and "adjacent"; if the Feat was meant for giants (or someone with a polearm) to be able to Cleave people wider it would have used the wording "within your reach" for the second target.

KillianHawkeye
2020-06-01, 07:00 PM
Note that diagonal squares also count as adjacent in D&D/Pathfinder.