PDA

View Full Version : Are there any immunities that ignore abilities that ignore immunities?

SangoProduction
2020-06-02, 02:43 PM
As the title asks: Are there any abilities that grant an immunity which specify that it can't be overcome, even by other abilities that normally grant the ability to ignore immunity.

I imagine some deities have something akin to that, but I'm looking for something a character or creature could hypothetically use.

Doctor Despair
2020-06-02, 03:00 PM
Not to the best of my knowledge. Things that break through immunities, like Searing Spell or Music of the Gods, tend to be balanced in that they are very narrow in scope. Can I ask what immunity in particular you are worried might be circumvented?

SangoProduction
2020-06-02, 03:03 PM
I'm just generally curious.

King of Nowhere
2020-06-02, 03:22 PM
ah, but the real question is, are there abilities that ignore immunities that ignore abilities that ignore immunities?

how much immunities would a woodchuck ignore if a woodchuck could ignore immunities?

Kurald Galain
2020-06-02, 03:36 PM
Are there any abilities that ignore immunities that ignore abilities that ignore immunities?

tyckspoon
2020-06-02, 03:38 PM
how much immunities would a woodchuck ignore if a woodchuck could ignore immunities?

None, woodchuck immunity immunity specifically ignores woodchucking immunity ignoring woodchucks.

The Viscount
2020-06-02, 03:57 PM
Effects that convert energy damage into something else, such as a Bleakborn's ability to heal from fire or a Zeugalak's ability to convert electricity to boosted Dex can't be overcome by something like searing spell, because the damage is shunted regardless.

Gusmo
2020-06-02, 04:03 PM
Are you looking for things such as metafaculty (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm)? The transport travelers ability of wish "regardless of local conditions" is the only other thing I can think of, and that's not particularly well defined. Other uses of wish may fit the bill?

SangoProduction
2020-06-02, 04:17 PM
Are you looking for things such as metafaculty (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm)? The transport travelers ability of wish "regardless of local conditions" is the only other thing I can think of, and that's not particularly well defined. Other uses of wish may fit the bill?

Neat find.

Doctor Despair
2020-06-02, 04:49 PM

I don't think OP is looking for ways to gain immunity, or ways to defeat immunity, but ways to be immune to the techniques that others use to defeat immunities that OP already possesses, allowing OP to have immunities regardless of the techniques opponents use to defeat those immunities.

Gusmo
2020-06-02, 04:55 PM
Oh. Maybe the 9th level ability of Slayer (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)would be of use? That's a pretty high level of immunity. Maybe the Vecna-blooded template from one of the Monster Manuals? I don't know of anything that offers quite the specificity being discussed.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-02, 05:20 PM
There's nothing that is explicit for overcoming effects that overcome immunities, so you'll have to get clever about things.

Suppressing effects is not being immune to them, so effects such as magic circle against evil would protect you even if mind blank would not.

Likewise, converting effects into other effects (such as the aforementioned fire-to-healing ability) would make immunity-ignoring effects useless.

In the same vein, making the effects of the things you're immune to pointless is another way to prevent yourself from being affected. For instance, simply ignoring the effects of damage instead of being immune to it (such as through the delay death/beastland ferocity combo) will mean that you can simply ignore the damage you take until one of the spells runs out, by which point you'll have healed up anyway. Similarly, casting astral projection makes you invulnerable to anything that doesn't affect your soul, since you're inhabiting a projection, and your body just isn't there to be killed. If you run out of HP or are otherwise taken out, you'll simply snap back into your body, no harm done. An acorn from a tree in Ysgard that is subject to the acorn of far travel spell will auto-res you, even if you die. Things like that.

Beyond that, I don't think there is such a thing. Not explicitly, anyway.

Kurald Galain
2020-06-02, 05:25 PM
Hmmm...

There's an old/classic D&D fanfic about the International Union of Disgusting Characters (IUDC). To join the titular Order, one of the questions they ask you is, what's your saving throw against effects that don't give a saving throw. Needless to say, if you don't understand the question, you don't get in.

Thurbane
2020-06-02, 06:43 PM
If I'm understanding the topic correctly... off the top of my head, there's Otiluke's Suppressing Field, which can block SR: No spells of a specific school or subtype.

Spells like Orb of Force can be hard to block, so this spell helps.

Along similar lines, the spells Spell Immunity (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellImmunity.htm) and Globe of Invulnerability (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerability.htm) (& Lesser (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm)).

Fizban
2020-06-02, 07:35 PM
Spells like Orb of Force can be hard to block, so this spell helps.
Or Ray Deflection. Or Forceward.

Isn't there a metapsionic feat that lets you just ignore things because lol psionics?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-02, 07:50 PM
Or Ray Deflection. Or Forceward.

Isn't there a metapsionic feat that lets you just ignore things because lol psionics?There's Burrowing Power, which allows you to phase powers through things. You still have to be able to target as needed, but Burrowing touchsight takes care of that.

And, I mean, Linked Power allows you to smack action economy around a lot.

Zanos
2020-06-03, 06:13 AM
Usually abilities that ignore immunities are pretty specific. So a dread witch can get through fear immunity, but if I'm immune to mind-effecting, I'm still fine. So you could always try being immune to a different scope of the ability being used on you.

Asmotherion
2020-06-03, 07:00 AM
Eh, I believe it was an educated choice, to avoid turning combat into a staring contest. Especially in high tiers of optimisation, were very few things can piers through an other caster's layers of persisted abjurations and other spells.

Generally Abjurations trump Imunities, so if you're imune to fire and under the protection of a "Protection From Energy: Fire" and hit by a searing spell, your imunity is trumped but your Protection from energy still applies.

From very specific things were you have to choose to take the damage by triggering an ability, that are generally obscure spells, epic spells and Prestige Class Abilities, that specify they ignore any damage imunity to "type of damage" the best generic solution around it I've figured is having an Ice Assasin of yourself triger the ability instead of yourself.

Nifft
2020-06-03, 11:36 PM
Isn't there a metapsionic feat that lets you just ignore things because lol psionics?

Unconditional Power (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#unconditionalPower) might be what you're talking about, but what's being ignored are just the action-inhibitor debuffs which might be applied to you personally, and the power must "affect your person". (So it's best for a Thrallherd who owns a person.)

Endarire
2020-06-04, 11:08 PM
The feat Darkstalker from Lords of Madness lets you ignore "immunity" to stealth from Blindsight, etc.

SangoProduction
2020-06-04, 11:18 PM
The feat Darkstalker from Lords of Madness lets you ignore "immunity" to stealth from Blindsight, etc.

I'll accept that as a perfectly valid answer.

Calthropstu
2020-06-04, 11:51 PM
Unconditional Power (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#unconditionalPower) might be what you're talking about, but what's being ignored are just the action-inhibitor debuffs which might be applied to you personally, and the power must "affect your person". (So it's best for a Thrallherd who owns a person.)

Thrallherds do not own people. They have servants who are absolutely loyal through no magical control effect. They CHOOSE to follow. They WANT to follow. So uhhh yeah. I don't own anyone. And you better not touch any of the people that uhhh... *don't* belong to me. They're mine you hear?

TheCount
2020-06-05, 03:27 AM
Sertrous, the Elder evil, can take away poison immunity.
from another thread, some magical poisons from Drow of the Under-Dark:

Yes, they're on pages 94-95. Basically the creator needs both Craft (poisonmaking) skill checks and to cast a different, specific spell for each magic-infused poison they make. Differing from the other item creation rules, it's not possible to use cooperative crafting for magic-infused poisons; the poison maker must also cast the spell.

Lyelle
2020-06-24, 06:39 PM
Not really an immunity, but along a similar vein: Thicket of Blades gives you an attack of opportunity on lower level maneuvers which avoid attack of opportunities.

SangoProduction
2020-06-24, 06:41 PM
Not really an immunity, but along a similar vein: Thicket of Blades gives you an attack of opportunity on lower level maneuvers which avoid attack of opportunities.

Not an immunity, true. But is pretty much exactly the line of thinking I'm looking for.

Hiro Quester
2020-06-25, 12:06 AM
Dread witch gives you the ability to cast fear spells that bypass fear immunity.

A creature normally immune to fear, though, like a Paladin, has immunity to that ability to bypass fear immunity, if their HD is higher than the Dread Witch's caster level +4.

Zerryzerry
2020-06-25, 09:46 AM
Piercing Cold from Frostburn and Searing Spells from Sandstorm.

They are both +1 metamagic feats, applying them means that your fire spells (searing) do 50% dmg against immune targets, and ignores any Fire resistance.
Same for Piercing cold, but for Cold immunities and resistance

Sure, not the best feat selections, but for a thematic sorcerer with Energy Substitution can be a really nice choice.

martixy
2020-06-25, 11:09 AM
What about abilities that circumvent abilities that circumvent abilities that circumvent immunities?

And immunities to the immunity circumventing curcumventory abilties?

And...

Well, I mean, you get the point.