PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Psionic Transparency question?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-27, 08:51 AM
A wizard casting Contingency is limited to level 6 spells once a wizard obtains a casting level of 18+.

IMO by spell text it isn't clear that another spellcaster could not aid the wizard by casting the companion spell of a prohibited or an unknown school for the wizard at the same time he casts the Contingency spell since it takes at least 10 minutes to cast.

It might be considered cheesy but with the Transparency between Magic and Psionics premise it would seem that a Psion would be able to cast Temporal Acceleration for the wizard in his Contingency spell.

What rules would prevent this?

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-27, 09:01 AM
The text "You can place another spell upon your person". The spellcaster has to cast the contigent spell.

martyboy74
2007-10-27, 09:17 AM
What about a cerebremancer? Could they pull it off?

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-27, 09:21 AM
Sure they could. At level 21. At which point a cerebremancer has much better things to do with his spell slots and power points.

martyboy74
2007-10-27, 09:33 AM
Why? Both Contingency and Temporal Acceleration are 6th level; the way I see it, you should be able to do that at 14th level (Psion 3/Wiz 3/ Cerebremancer 8).

\/ Ah, I missed that when I was reading the text of Contingency.

Douglas
2007-10-27, 09:57 AM
Contingency requires a caster level at least three times the level of the spell you use it with, so your Cerebremancer would have to have caster level 18. With 3 of his levels going to psion, his wizard casting won't reach that level until character level 21. Of course, there are quite a number of ways to increase caster level faster than that - Practiced Spellcaster brings it up to character level, an Orange Prism Ioun Stone adds +1, a Ring of Arcane Might adds another +1, and casting Create Magic Tattoo (Spell Compendium) is another +1 for 24 hours. With all of that, the Cerebremancer could do it at level 15.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-27, 12:53 PM
The text "You can place another spell upon your person".

That text of the Contingency spell seems a little gray to me regarding placing another spell on your person since other spellcasters can cast the spell for you to enchant magic items.

Depending on how it is interpreted the companion spell would not necessarily need to be cast by the caster himself if it was done simultaneous since it takes 10 minutes or more to perform the Contingency spell.

Believe a Cerebrancer could do it by level by level 18 with the Practiced Caster feat Wiz - 3, Cerebrancer - 10, wiz PRC -2, +3 for Practiced Spellcaster feat and psion levels.

kme
2007-10-27, 01:40 PM
I think there is a contigency psionic, so any psion could have a contigent temporal acceleration.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-27, 02:37 PM
That text of the Contingency spell seems a little gray to me regarding placing another spell on your person since other spellcasters can cast the spell for you to enchant magic items.

No, it really isn't grey at all. You're just trying to read between the lines when there's nothing there to read.

Stop trying to interpret rules differently from their literal meaning! :smallannoyed:

Fax Celestis
2007-10-27, 03:41 PM
I think there is a contigency psionic, so any psion could have a contigent temporal acceleration.

It's called incarnate.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-27, 03:52 PM
It's called incarnate.

No he is correct it is Contingency, Psionic page 86 EPH.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-27, 03:53 PM
It's called incarnate.

Incarnate is permanancy.