PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Grim Goblin's Homebrews

Man on Fire
2020-06-03, 04:29 AM
I have decided to, rather than have a series of separate threads for my homebrews, I will make one thread. This post will serve as a list and I will start making homebrews in the following posts. It will be an irregular thing, posting whenever I feel like.

Man on Fire
2020-06-03, 05:55 AM
Dragon Pact Warlock
https://66.media.tumblr.com/85c17dfcd6dafc204b8368084d830c12/tumblr_ppkw9b2A4l1xm0skao2_1280.jpg
Copyright: She-Ra and the Princesses of power (Mattel/Dreamworks) fanart by Tumblr user cryptid68 who does not seem to be active anymore

Dragons' might has always fascinated the mortals as much as it terrified them. Many have grown to desire it for themselves, even at a great price. On the other hand, Dragon's power was always a source of pride, especially for chromatic Dragons, through metallic ones are often no less vain. As such it is not a surprise that a Dragon of immense power, who would grant willing individual just a fraction of it. For a Dragon, such action would be an act of celebrating their own greatness, molding the individual into a reflection, and merely a taste of their glorious visage. A Dragon patron may be a particularly powerful dragon entity like Klauth, Tchazzar, Mauzzkyl Jazered, Borys, Inferno or Nicol Bolas.

Draconic Power:
Upon Taking Dragon Pact, additional spells are added to your Warlock Spell List depending on which type of Dragon you choose, as seen in the table below. If a spell is not on the Warlock Spell list, it counts as a Warlock spell for you.

Level
Bonus Spell
Black Dragon
Blue Dragon
Green Dragon
Red Dragon
White Dragon

1st
Absorb Elements
Acid Stream
Shield
Ray of Sickness
Burning Hands
Ice Dagger

2nd
Enlarge/Reduce
Blindness/Deafness
Ray of Efeeblement
Spike Growth
Scorching Ray
Shatter

3rd
Protection From Energy
Stinking Cloud
Lighting Bolt
Plant Growth
Fireball
Sleet Storm

4th
Dominate Beast
Blight
Storm Sphere
Stoneskin
Wall of Fire
Ice Storm

5th
Dominate Person
Cloudkill
Telekinesis
Insect Plague
Immolation
Cone of Cold

Special
Damage Type
Acid
Lightning
Poison
Fire
Cold

You also become profficient with Draconic language.

Draconic Form

Once you take this pact you can as a bonus action assume a form imitating your patron for one minute. Your body becomes covered in scales in color reflecting of the color of your patron. You can calculate your AC as 10+Charisma Bonus+Dexterity modifier when not wearing armor and you gain resistance to a type of Damage associated with your patron's color as indicated in the table above. If you already possess resistance to that type of damage from another source, you can choose a different one from those listed.

In addition, your hands become claws dealing 1d6+your Strength modifier slashing damage. If you attack with your claws, you can substitute your Charisma modifier in place of your Strength modifier for attack and damage rolls. If you take Pact of the Blade feature, you can assign your claws as your pact weapon. You can use somatic and material components for spells in your Draconic form and you can substitute your claws in place of a spellcasting focus.

You can use this feature a number of times equal your Charisma modifier and you regain expended uses after a short rest.

Dragon's Fury

Starting at 6th Level your transformation strengthens and your Draconic Form changes to reflect it. You grow tail and your mouth is producing a visual effect associated with yuor patron's type of damage - smoke like from a campfire, steam from melting ice, sparks of electricity or drips of poison or acid.

As long as you are in your Draconic Form you can attack twice as a part of an attack action. This does not stack with other abilities that can give you an additional attack, like a Thirsting Blade Warlock Invocation or an Extra Attack class feature. You can also substitute one or both attacks for one of the following attacks:

Breath Weapon: You can force every creature in a 15-foot cone from you to make a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 damage of the type associated with your patron's color. The damage increases to 4d6 at 10th and 5d6 at 14th Level. You can use this attack a number of times equal your Charisma modifier. You regain spent uses after you finish a short or long rest.

Sweeping Tail: You can hit an opponent with your tail, dealing 1d8+your Strength modifier of damage. On a hit, if the target is no more than one size category larger than you, they must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. You can use your Charisma modifier in place of your Strength modifier for attack and damage rolls with your tail.

The Save DC for both attacks equals your Spell Save DC.

Strengthened Form
At 10th level whenever you assume Draconic Form you grow wings, giving you a flying speed equal your movement speed. Your Claw damage die increases to 2d6 and your damage resistance changes to immunity to that damage type. Whenever you assume your Draconic Form you also gain temporary hit points equal your Warlock Level + Your Charisma modifier.

Dragon Avatar
At 14th Level, you can become a reflection of your master's in its youth. As a bonus action, you can expend a use of your Draconic Form to turn into a Young Dragon of the same type as your patron. The transformation works like True Polymorph spell but does not require concentration and lasts only 1 minute. Once you use this feature you cannot do it again until you finish a long rest. When you reach 20th level in this class you can turn into an Adult Dragon instead.

Yakk
2020-06-03, 01:48 PM
1) Run spellcheck.
2) Traditionally Warlocks get spells added to their list, not bonus spells known?
3) The damage type associated with the color should be in a table
4) "You can calculate your AC as 10+Charisma Bonus+Dexterity modifier when not wearing armor" is a 5e style wording.
5) "substitute your Charisma modifier in place of your Strength modifier" ... for attack and damage rolls.
6) "In addition," "In addition," -- don't repeat sentence starts. Find a new way to say it.
7) Dragon's Fury -- the tail comes out of nowehere. You should mention when/if you get a tail before you use it.
8) "You can use this feature a number of times equal your Charisma modifier, you regain expended uses after a short rest." that reads as if you can use your class as a focus that many times. I don't think that is intended.
9) "Your form now reflects your ability to use these new attacks. When you take Draconic form you grow a tail and your mouth is leaking the type of damage your breath weapon is dealing." put that up front, and be less passive about it.
10) "Dragon Avatar" - True Polymorph into a CR 14 dragon every day at level 14 might be a bit much. Also, this has a design issue, in that some adult dragons are CR 14, and some are higher; trading "you don't get to use your feature when you get it" for "you get a better feature later" seems questionable to me.

Man on Fire
2020-06-05, 02:31 AM
1) Run spellcheck.
2) Traditionally Warlocks get spells added to their list, not bonus spells known?
3) The damage type associated with the color should be in a table
4) "You can calculate your AC as 10+Charisma Bonus+Dexterity modifier when not wearing armor" is a 5e style wording.
5) "substitute your Charisma modifier in place of your Strength modifier" ... for attack and damage rolls.
6) "In addition," "In addition," -- don't repeat sentence starts. Find a new way to say it.
7) Dragon's Fury -- the tail comes out of nowehere. You should mention when/if you get a tail before you use it.
8) "You can use this feature a number of times equal your Charisma modifier, you regain expended uses after a short rest." that reads as if you can use your class as a focus that many times. I don't think that is intended.
9) "Your form now reflects your ability to use these new attacks. When you take Draconic form you grow a tail and your mouth is leaking the type of damage your breath weapon is dealing." put that up front, and be less passive about it.
10) "Dragon Avatar" - True Polymorph into a CR 14 dragon every day at level 14 might be a bit much. Also, this has a design issue, in that some adult dragons are CR 14, and some are higher; trading "you don't get to use your feature when you get it" for "you get a better feature later" seems questionable to me.

2) I'm not much of a fan of Warlock bonus spells being only for the spell list and not known, I don't think to make them spells known is much game-breaking.
10) Changed it that at Level 14 it gives you a form of young dragon and bumps to Adult if you reach level 20.

Tried to implement your other suggestions, thank you very much.

Yakk
2020-06-05, 08:31 AM
The place to fix "you don't get spells on list, but rather spells known" isn't in a homebrewed subclass; it is by modifying the core Warlock class (or every subclass at once).

Man on Fire
2020-06-07, 10:00 PM
The place to fix "you don't get spells on list, but rather spells known" isn't in a homebrewed subclass; it is by modifying the core Warlock class (or every subclass at once).

Good point, I will change that.