PDA

View Full Version : Does Superior Unarmed Strike Scale

ChaosStar
2020-06-03, 01:28 PM
So my DM says that the damage from Superior Unarmed Strike doesn't scale based on your level and that it's set at the level you take the feat at for non Monks. For example if you take the feat at 3rd level your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 damage, but the damage doesn't increase to 1d6 once you reach 4th level. This doesn't seem right to me, can anyone clarify this? Does the damage from Superior Unarmed Strike scale as you level up or is it static once you've taken the feat?

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-03, 01:32 PM
So my DM says that the damage from Superior Unarmed Strike doesn't scale based on your level and that it's set at the level you take the feat at for non Monks. For example if you take the feat at 3rd level your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 damage, but the damage doesn't increase to 1d6 once you reach 4th level. This doesn't seem right to me, can anyone clarify this? Does the damage from Superior Unarmed Strike scale as you level up or is it static once you've taken the feat?

It scales. In fact, feats check for the requirements and conditions all the time. If you should get hit by negative levels as example it affects you too.

Evoker
2020-06-03, 01:39 PM
The simplest comparison seems to be between this and any other feat that scales with level. Let's use power attack, as it has somewhat similar wording or lack thereof regarding explicit alteration (Exact text: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.). Your GM seems to be saying that the bonus is gained when the feat is chosen, and never changes after that. Applying that logic (The bonus is based on your level when the feat is chosen, not your level as it changes) to power attack reveals that the maximum points of attack bonus sacrificed for damage is based on your BAB when the feat is taken, and will never change after that point. That's clearly incorrect. Thus, we see that the logic that feat bonuses are gained when they are chosen, and never change outside of text explicitly stating that they do is flawed.

Now, this logic isn't completely infallible, and I'm sure that you could pick holes in it, but it should serve to illustrate the point that many feats scale with level without feeling the need to explicitly state that they do so.

Biggus
2020-06-03, 02:46 PM
Agreed with the others that it scales with level. It would be a truly awful feat if it didn't, upgrading from you 1d3 to 1d4 damage if taken at 3rd level, an average of +0.5 damage per hit.

CIDE
2020-06-03, 09:16 PM
I just read the feat about 8 times trying to figure this out and I fail to see any way it can be interpreted to imply that it doesn'ts scale with level. You rely on the table as indicated in the wording. It's pretty clear.

This is a ruling so pedantic that it'd be worth leaving over if the DM refuses to change it.

PhantasyPen
2020-06-03, 09:35 PM
Your DM is just trying to screw you over my dude. It scales.

ChaosStar
2020-06-04, 09:32 AM
Okay I talked to my DM about it and discovered that he had a misunderstanding. He thought it was additive not substitutive. We have since cleared this up.