PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Reworking the Dhampir

Jeivar
2020-06-04, 02:44 PM
I'm going to start working on a Transylvania-esque setting (as in, the pop culture version of the place), and I want to include some horror races as optional. My first choice is, obviously, the dhampir. I know they've already released an official version. I'm using it as a template, but want to make it a bit more fun. My base is as follows:

*Strength +2 OR Charisma +2, and +1 in a stat of your choice.

*Darkvision 60 feet

*Resistance to Necrotic damage

*Fangs - 1d4+Strength in piercing damage

But I have three different ideas on what to make their signature ability:

1) The dhampir can cast Charm Person once per short or long rest, using Charisma as their spellcasting ability. (this is simply the official ability)

2) The dhampir can shapeshift into a wolf, gaining an extra 10 in movement, a bite attack (2d4+Strength), a natural AC 13, and an advantage on rolls for hearing or smell. This transformation can last up to one hour, and the dhampir must finish a long or short rest before doing it again. (Not HUGELY useful, but certainly good for tracking enemies or fleeing a fight)

3) Starting at level 3, the dhampir can transform into a Dire Wolf for one minute, replacing their own physical stats and hit points with those of the listed creature for the duration. If brought down to zero hit points while transformed the dhampir reverts to its humanoid shape and previous hit point total. The dhampir must finish a long or short rest before doing it again. (definitely more powerful than the regular wolf, which is why I'm waiting until third level)

Then there's the issue of blood-drinking. I do want it to be at least an option and ideally a requirement, for that angsty "cursed from birth" angle. I do wonder if making it a requirement can justify giving them elf-like resistance to being Charmed, to make them effective vampire hunters.

*Draining (version 1) - Every morning, if the Dhampir has not drained blood from a humanoid creature in the last 24 hours, it must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or suffer a level of Fatigued that can only be healed through blood drinking.

*Draining (version 2) - Every morning, if the Dhampir has not drained blood from a humanoid creature in the last 24 hours, it loses 1d4 hit points, which can only be healed by inflicting the same amount of damage with a bite.

*Blood healing - Upon using its bite attack on a living humanoid, the Dhampir may roll its hit die to regain hit points.

What do you think? How do I make this overall cool and vampire-lite without making it too powerful?

Garfunion
2020-06-04, 06:29 PM
What book has the officially released Dampir?

Also I just re-skin/tweak the Drow as a half-vampire.

sandmote
2020-06-04, 06:41 PM
I made my own version of the race recently, so I'd love some discussion of what is important for dhampires.

My first choice is, obviously, the dhampir. I know they've already released an official version. Sorry, where?

Every morning, if the Dhampir has not drained blood from a humanoid creature in the last 24 hours, it must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or suffer a level of Fatigued that can only be healed through blood drinking. *level of exhaustion, although I'm suspecting a typo on the system you say you're using.

You should probably add more detail on how you want the wolf transformation to work. I assume it isn't extra HP like wildshape grants, but you should probably add "your other feature and abilities remain the same," or some equivalent. However, I'm fairly certain that dhampires are known for being friendly with "creatures of the night" rather than turning into them. The choice of wolf over bat is maybe also a bit odd.

Blood healing I like, but the ones penalizing you for eating regular food for a few days seem awkward. Depends on the flavor of the vampiric influence though.

Jeivar
2020-06-05, 02:48 AM
What book has the officially released Dampir?

Sorry, where?

Drivethrurpg released a free sample from The Big Book of Horrors. I downloaded it.

You should probably add more detail on how you want the wolf transformation to work. I assume it isn't extra HP like wildshape grants, but you should probably add "your other feature and abilities remain the same," or some equivalent. However, I'm fairly certain that dhampires are known for being friendly with "creatures of the night" rather than turning into them. The choice of wolf over bat is maybe also a bit odd.

I'm assuming you mean the regular wolf as opposed to the dire wolf? As for the wolf/bat thing... yeah. It's just that shifting into a wolf IS a classic vampire power, and I'm thinking of reworking the full vamps themselves a bit. I suppose a bat form IS more useful, for reaching difficult areas or escaping a pickle, but I worry about it being too powerful.

but the ones penalizing you for eating regular food for a few days seem awkward. Depends on the flavor of the vampiric influence though.

What? I never mentioned food.

EDIT:

I made my own version of the race recently, so I'd love some discussion of what is important for dhampires.

I forgot to ask: How did you design YOUR dhampir?

Garfunion
2020-06-05, 09:23 AM
Drivethrurpg released a free sample from The Big Book of Horrors. I downloaded it.

That is not an official D&D book. That is a 3rd party book.

Jeivar
2020-06-05, 06:10 PM
That is not an official D&D book. That is a 3rd party book.

Oh. Still, I think it's a functional enough starting point.

MagneticKitty
2020-06-05, 06:33 PM
There are semi-official (not al legal) planeshift books that contain vampires. I'd say they work as a half vampire quite well.

sandmote
2020-06-06, 03:14 PM
I'm assuming you mean the regular wolf as opposed to the dire wolf? As for the wolf/bat thing... yeah. It's just that shifting into a wolf IS a classic vampire power, and I'm thinking of reworking the full vamps themselves a bit. I suppose a bat form IS more useful, for reaching difficult areas or escaping a pickle, but I worry about it being too powerful.
Usually Dhampires have a weaker version of whatever vampires have (both the strengths and weaknesses). So one having the full transformation abilities is what I mostly found odd.

Actually this reminds me; slap on sunlight sensitivity if you're worried the race is too strong.

What? I never mentioned food. I was comparing it to drinking blood. Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed the blood drinking ideas you described represented nutrients.

If that works it could be as follows:

*Draining (version 3) You must drink blood to sustain yourself, and gain no benefit from eating rations or other food. You can still eat, but simply fail to absorb the energy or nutrients.

That would present failing to eat for a short period as less pressing.

I forgot to ask: How did you design YOUR dhampir? Poorly. It's here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?613101-Dhampire-Race), if you're interested. I mostly focused on the social and undead aspects of Dhampires (plus minor self healing), and have the blood drinking and wolf/bat friendship as racial feats. So the focus for the race is rather different than your own.