PDA

View Full Version : A small house rule for a small part of the Wilder

inuyasha
2020-06-04, 03:55 PM
I've been looking at Pathfinder Psionics again, and gosh do I love it. I just need to find a good excuse to throw it into my game.

I'm also a huge fan of the Wilder, but not all of its Surge Bonds. Specifically the Free Surge one. Its Surge Bond ability is fine, if a little lackluster, you get a few more Power Points. But its Improved Surge Bond ability is far too niche I think--you get a bonus vs. Enchantment and Telepathy effects, and a small bonus at that, while you're playing a class that already has a good Will save... I don't know if I even need to bother making a post about this, and this isn't that big of a deal, but I'm curious to see if anyone has an opinion on a change I'm thinking about.

Would it be a bad idea to just swap out that small bonus vs Telepathy/Enchantment with more instances of Psionic Talent which they receive at first level, thereby allowing for a handful more power points each day? It's not exactly great, but I'd take an extra 5 power points at 5th level vs. a +1 to saving throws against an effect that only pops up sometimes and always hits my best saving throw. Does this feel like an unbalanced change, or would I be creating any big problems if I did this? Or heck, has anyone else done anything similar?

Psyren
2020-06-04, 04:52 PM
Well, the idea behind the Free Wilder is that it is close to being a straight conversion of the 3.5 Wilder (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm), which has a similar arbitrary defense against telepathy effects. It's there so that people can easily convert their existing Wilder characters to Pathfinder, not because it's a particularly good Surge Bond.

Rather than alter/replace that (because it still serves a useful function for folks converting from 3.5) - I would instead recommend developing a surge of your own that provides a bunch of extra power points. Either that, or just be a Student Wilder, which is the best one anyway (akin to the Educated Wilder from 3.5), which gets enough extra bonus Expanded Knowledges that you can spare a few of your normal feats for Psionic Talent if you really want that.

inuyasha
2020-06-04, 05:20 PM
Oh huh! That's funny. I actually have all of the 3.X Psionic material, but I've really never gotten to use it and I haven't looked at it as closely as I have the PF psionics. I had no idea that the 3.5 Wilder formed the basis for the Free Wilder. Thanks a whole bunch!