PDA

View Full Version : A kid's book

russdm
2020-06-04, 06:41 PM
So, there was a book that i recall reading in either summer school, or some camp event or thing. The book was about a kid that got gifts(?) and went off to do something with wizards/dragons. maybe the kid's dad was a wizard. There was also something about a sword or swords. The kid learned about some stuff or something. I made a little board game for it, a bit like the game of life type of thing or so. I don't recall exactly if the book was a paperback or other type of book. it was not a kindle one though

I keep trying to remember the name of it, but it keeps slipping my mind. Does anybody have any idea of what i might be talking about?

Plot details/events/stuff, that i can remember barely:

so there was this kid and i think that he wanted to become a wizard(?), he had a wizard for a dad, who sent him on some kind of quest activity. the wizard give him some items to use, three objects or slightly more. There were 3 swords involved maybe. The kid spent time learning in some classes, like having a lesson by himself, not harry potter style. there were some gems involved

the kid meet a dragon, or interacted with a dragon. there was something about a tower, and a king too. the story was set in a sort of medieval land.

Think it was written by a woman, possibly

dancrilis
2020-06-04, 06:58 PM
Haven't read it (I don't think) - but I like internet searches at times.

Can you fill in some details:
1. Was it set in a modern environment - cars etc, or a more medieval environment or something else?
2. When you say 'gifts(?)' you mean magical abilities?
3. When you say 'went off to do something with wizards/dragons' do you mean
3.1 There were absolutely wizards and there were absolutely dragons and they were a big part of the story, or
3.2 There were fantasy elements.
4. When you say 'There was also something about a sword or swords' was it something major or just that at some point a sword might have been mentioned.
5. Do you have any basic plot items, what the bad guy wanted, was there a bad guy etc?
6. Without giving away any information about yourself can you say when the book might have been published (presumedly before you would have read it).

Without that I am going to take a real stab in the dark and throw out Wizard Hall as a possibility.

Caledonian
2020-06-04, 07:41 PM
I don't suppose it was Alanna: The First Tale?

But really, you need to be more specific.

russdm
2020-06-04, 07:57 PM
I will try to edit in as much of the fragmentary details that i can recall, in the first post

I am trying to remember the details, because i also ended up reading the harry potter books later, and a few other ones. So, i am trying to recall, and am going off also some from the board game i made in the camp.