PDA

View Full Version : Royal Eyes of Aundair IC

PartyOfRogues
2020-06-04, 09:17 PM
Something had gone wrong. You were supposed to meet in the backroom of the shop, and the contact was supposedly reliable, but they hadn’t responded or opened the door, and it was almost an hour past the scheduled meeting time. The asset is far too valuable to lose, you must find out where it is before it’s too late.

Niobaran
2020-06-12, 04:00 AM
Jandar

The half-elf bounty-hunter-turned-agent-of-her-majesty turns to his fellow agents. "It's been too long. We need to assume our contact dead or -- worse -- compromised. I suggest we do a quick search of the room, and try to get through the trap door. With a bit of luck, the asset is there. In any case, we need to hurry. If our contact turned traitor, there could be hostile forces nearby."

He inspects the trap door and its closing mechanism.

PartyOfRogues
2020-06-14, 03:47 PM
The trapdoor has a combination lock with elven writing, and a handle inset in the door.

miinstrel
2020-06-15, 11:07 AM
https://www.shopniex.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/69176e9647379866c0b2dfe3b6b0d865-Copy.jpg
Rayne Falquist (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2219260)
GOO Warlock 8 | AC 15 | HP 58/58 | PP 16 / PIns 16 / PInv 14

Rayne has been pacing for the last several minutes, clearly agitated. He picks up a small decorated vase and turns it over in his hands then sets it down. Leans against the maintained but clearly old wooden wall, his thumb scratching at some imperfection in the wood, worsening the mark in his attempt to pick it smooth. "I don't like this," he replies, giving voice to what everyone was already thinking. "This is our only lead. Can you jigger the lock?"

<Xiidriix - anything, going on out there?> he thinks to his devilish companion who was supposed to be perched on the roof across from the shop entry to keep an eye out for anyone coming in.

Merellis
2020-06-15, 11:16 AM
The idea seemed sound in Gwen's mind as she stepped around the room, eyes looking for anything that would be out of place within the normalcy that should be here.

"Would it be prudent for us to stage a break-in? Or would it be better to keep everything looking how it should?"

Niobaran
2020-06-16, 06:58 PM
Jandar

"I'll see what I can do. It's a combination lock, either we break it open, or..." He focuses on the elven writing for a moment.

I'm not quite sure if it's a combination lock based on the elven writing, or if it's a combination lock that has some elven writing on it. Either way, I'll inspect the lock and try to pick it, if that's possible with tools. Feel free to disregard any of the rolls, I'm just speculating. :)

Inspecting the lock:
[roll0]

If it's mechanically possible, trying to pick the lock:
[roll1]

PartyOfRogues
2020-06-17, 02:01 PM
<Nothing going on, unless you’re planning on starting something?>

As you check out the lock, you find that some of the numbers are more worn than the others, on a hunch, you try the combination, and the lock opens silently.

miinstrel
2020-06-17, 02:18 PM
https://www.shopniex.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/69176e9647379866c0b2dfe3b6b0d865-Copy.jpg

Rayne looks lost in thought a moment while Jandar futzes with the lock. <Still blind on what this is all about... and no sign of the guy we're meeting. Heading downstairs, let me know if anyone comes into the shop or anything else weird happens.>

The 'click' of success pulls him back to the present. "That was quick. Was it 1, 2, 3, 4? People really need more creative passwords..." He moves forward off the wall, eager to get this behind them. "Alright, who knows what's down here. No big risks, right? We get in, look around, and get out if he's not there. If things go south we split up as soon as it's safe to do so and meet back at the Brazen Maiden in an hour or two."

Rayne mutters an arcane word and scribes a small sigil in the air. His eyes flicker with blue light then fade back to their normal dark color.
Casting Detect Magic.

Niobaran
2020-06-18, 04:20 PM
Jandar

"You just need an eyes for detail..." he mumbles or some luck, I suppose he adds in thoughts.

He gives Rayne a nod. "You for anything magic, I the mundane stuff. Everybody ready?"

Once everyone is prepared, he pulls open the trap door.

Starbin
2020-06-19, 10:36 AM
Aerik Remsley, Elven Monk (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2016108)

Aerik had stood in silence as the group waited, never moving, meditating. He had long ago learned the patience to suffer a simple hour without anxiety or concern. However, when the others spoke, he considered their words. Nalaven was normally punctual, and this delay was uncharacteristic, to say the least. When Jandar leaned down to study the trap door, Aerik took a step that allowed him to see the door clearly, but also avoid a simple trap, if it were to target a would-be thief standing directly in front of the entry.

When the lock clicked open upon first effort, Aerik bowed his head in acknowledgement of the man's skills. Each of his companions was obviously skilled - their position as members of the Royal Eyes spoke volumes on their qualifications. However, on the journey here, he had been impressed how they all seemed to be level headed ... if somewhat impatient and short-sighted. But that was a failing common to both the shorter lived races and some of his own kin. Regardless, he trusted them to be professional and adept at solving any problem the group encountered. Now, it was up to him to manage his own contributions and carry his own weight, as it were ...

Raising a hand, he spoke softly to Jandar. "Let me try first ... the shadows are old friends of mine." Squatting down to the side, he motioned for Jandar to move to the other side, then nodded when he was ready for the bounty hunter to slowly open the trapdoor. He peered down for an signs of shadows that he might slip to ...
OOC - I don't think I need a check to see a shadow, but here's one for anything else in the room: [roll0]. [roll1] If there is a shadow, he will find a shadow here and slip down using Shadow Step (teleport from shadow to shadow, w/in 60')
HPs 64 / AC 19 / Initiative +5 / Move 45' / Pass Per 14
Saves - Str +2 Dex +8 Con +3 Int +0 Wis +4 Cha +2
Athletics -1; Acrobatics +5; Stealth/SoH +8; Arcana/Inv/Rel/Nature +0; History +3; AH/Med/Surv/Ins/Per +4; Deception +5; Perf/Intim/Pers +2
Equipment: Amulet of proof vs detection/location, kits & clothes
Weapons: Unarmed (+8, 1d6B+5); shortsword (+8, 1d6P+5); Darts (+8, 1d4P+5, 20/60 rng)
Ki powers 8/8: Flurry (1); Patient Def (1); Step (1); Stunning strike (1); Darkness/Darkvision/Pass w/o Trace/Silence (2)
Effects: Deflect missiles (as reaction, red dam from ranged attack by 1d10+13); slow fall (as react, reduce falling dam by 40); Stillness of Mind (use action to end one charm/fright effect); Evasion (Dex saves for 1/2 dam = no dam); Mark (add 1d6 damage to target; Shadow step (as bonus, teleport up to 60' from one shadow to another; gain adv on 1st attack)

PartyOfRogues
2020-06-20, 08:41 PM
As you finish tracing the sigil, you start to see the weave of magic, as well as the disruptions where it is used. You see your allies magical gear, and abjuration magic from the trapdoor.

miinstrel
2020-06-29, 02:09 PM

"Wait!" Rayne calls out as Jandar sets his weight to lift the door. "The lock isn't the only thing guarding this opening... there's some kind of protective ward. I can't disable it, so..." he takes a couple steps back, opening the door to the main shop area and stepping through and around the corner. "... just in case. You may continue at your own risk."

Starbin
2020-06-29, 02:29 PM

Aerik raised a thin eyebrow as Rayne raised a hand, gave his warning, then quickly exited the room and told Jandor to proceed. Once again, his perspective on the younger races was somewhat validated. Peering at the elvish script and the lock, he murmured, "It is possible there is a glyph set upon the door. It wouldn't be outlandish to have dual protections set upon the entry - one mundane and one magical. However, it is also possible the lock may circumvent the magic. If no one can dispel the magicks, let us see if the script has any clue. Otherwise, I will open the door as see what happens, while you all shelter in the other room."
OOC - I didn't see an answer to the elvish script, so asking directly - what does it say?
To the others - glyphs and such seem like the common abjuration spells we might expect ... but do y'all have any other ideas
Athletics -1; Acrobatics +5; Stealth/SoH +8; Arcana/Inv/Rel/Nature +0; History +3; AH/Med/Surv/Ins/Per +4; Deception +5; Perf/Intim/Pers +2
Weapons: Unarmed (+8, 1d6B+5); shortsword (+8, 1d6P+5); Darts (+8, 1d4P+5, 20/60 rng)
Ki powers 8/8: Flurry (1); Patient Def (1); Step (1); Stunning strike (1); Darkness/Darkvision/Pass w/o Trace/Silence (2)
Effects: Deflect missiles (as reaction, red dam from ranged attack by 1d10+13); slow fall (as react, reduce falling dam by 40); Stillness of Mind (use action to end one charm/fright effect); Evasion (Dex saves for 1/2 dam = no dam); Mark (add 1d6 damage to target; Shadow step (as bonus, teleport up to 60' from one shadow to another; gain adv on 1st attack)

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-03, 09:25 PM
The symbols are are old elvish runes for the schools of magic, arcana or history check to determine which schools for the combination.

Starbin
2020-07-04, 05:19 AM
Here goes nothing
[roll0], [roll1]

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-10, 11:16 PM
Fortunately, the Old Elvish runes for the schools of magic are similar enough to the regular Elvish rune that you’re pretty sure you’ve translated correctly and the combination is Abjuration, Necromancy, Illusion, and Divination

Starbin
2020-07-13, 12:15 PM

Aerik raised a hand as he focused on the old elven runes. "While the script is ancient and not commonly taught in modern elvish schools of study, it is clear these words represent a mystical combination - Abjuration, Necromancy, Illusion, and Divination. Did the combination lock provide a way to enter these? Or do we need to case spells of the same type?"
OOC - Not sure how to proceed ... but we can always chance an opening :)