View Full Version : Cleric Backstory Build Help

blackjack50
2020-06-04, 09:40 PM
I am making a cleric for my current campaign (my character died and we need a cleric/melee). So I am looking for some assistance to build something that fits my backstory idea. Here is the simple version:

Cleric is a combat veteran who wants to save enough money to buy a gym. Specifically a gym to train locals how to defend themselves, and also help them get into shape and offer healing. She would also travel and fight in 1 on 1 smoker fights (unsanctioned fights that are legal but don’t count on records) for gold, and then working her way up and maybe creating a team? Or gym. Kind of a simple backstory that is easy to fit in. Let’s my story kind of fit anywhere and not be main page (up until my death my story was a bigger part and I want to have a less involved part). So this seems simple enough. What I need help with is:

A build that will be combat effective, but also allows me to take and give a beating in a 1 on 1 fight type event. Multi class is allowed, but I would like to keep it at a minimum as I am coming in at level 4. :)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-04, 11:00 PM
Hill Dwarf, Tempest or Forge Cleric 4, Polearm Master. Updated PAM can be used with a spear, so go spear and shield with heavy armor and prioritize Str, Con, and Wis.

blackjack50
2020-06-05, 08:32 AM
Hill Dwarf, Tempest or Forge Cleric 4, Polearm Master. Updated PAM can be used with a spear, so go spear and shield with heavy armor and prioritize Str, Con, and Wis.

Out of curiosity, will this make me better at unarmed/unarmored combat?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-05, 09:19 AM
Out of curiosity, will this make me better at unarmed/unarmored combat?

Not really, but Tempest Cleric can still use all the lightning and thunder stuff naked. You could include a Monk dip, but that's going to completely change your ability layout (Dex instead of Str) which will also exclude PAM with its amazing bonus action attack every round, since there's no finesse polearm. Would you need to be able to fight unarmed/unarmored?

blackjack50
2020-06-05, 09:25 AM
Not really, but Tempest Cleric can still use all the lightning and thunder stuff naked. You could include a Monk dip, but that's going to completely change your ability layout (Dex instead of Str) which will also exclude PAM with its amazing bonus action attack every round, since there's no finesse polearm. Would you need to be able to fight unarmed/unarmored?

For the flavor of the backstory yes. I don’t have to be the BEST, but at the very least have some semblance of viability. Really? I think having a decent HP and decent AC unarmored is all I need if I have good strength.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-05, 09:56 AM
For the flavor of the backstory yes. I don’t have to be the BEST, but at the very least have some semblance of viability. Really? I think having a decent HP and decent AC unarmored is all I need if I have good strength.

You already need three ability scores somewhat high (Str, Con, Wis), and Dex doesn't matter if you typically use heavy armor so Dex 10 or even 8 is acceptable. Unarmored you've got Shield of Faith, but that's about it.

Typically arena-style battles would still include some kind of armor and often a shield, the naked bouts were always wrestling matches. That's just Athletics checks to grapple and pin the opponent, nothing to do with AC.

blackjack50
2020-06-05, 10:07 AM
You already need three ability scores somewhat high (Str, Con, Wis), and Dex doesn't matter if you typically use heavy armor so Dex 10 or even 8 is acceptable. Unarmored you've got Shield of Faith, but that's about it.

Typically arena-style battles would still include some kind of armor and often a shield, the naked bouts were always wrestling matches. That's just Athletics checks to grapple and pin the opponent, nothing to do with AC.

Well I am looking to flavor it more like bareknuckle mma type stuff. Which you are right, lots of Athletics stuff. I got to thinking though...at 4 I can take tavern brawler and that sets me up exactly the way I need to be.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-05, 10:46 AM
Well I am looking to flavor it more like bareknuckle mma type stuff. Which you are right, lots of Athletics stuff. I got to thinking though...at 4 I can take tavern brawler and that sets me up exactly the way I need to be.

Honestly, just write it into the backstory and don't worry if the mechanics can currently support it. That happened a long time ago and the character is way out of practice. Or say the other person always gets a few hits in while you wrestled them to the ground and got a submission move on them. Build your character to function in the party without sacrificing playability for backstory. Polearm Master is perfect for this type of character, you're so quick you get a free hit as they move up on you, and on your turn you do a stab and then twirl the spear to knock them with the other end, it's a showboat style that's perfect for exhibition matches.

Eärendle
2020-06-06, 11:32 AM
Tortle provides the always on AC you are wanting and its racial modifiers benefit a melee cleric. Survival proficiency could be useful and is another flavourful thing in which to offer training. You drop at least one hp per level, as well as darkvision, by not being a dwarf. Almost forgot, you were interested in unarmed fighting. Tortles have claws!