PDA

View Full Version : A question of magic

Abjurer
2007-10-27, 11:27 AM
If a wizard uses a staff of heal, does arcane spell failure apply?

Draken
2007-10-27, 12:18 PM
I am pretty sure the wizard won't be able to use the staff in the first place.

Abjurer
2007-10-27, 12:50 PM
The DMG never says he can't.

A caster can activate a spell from a staff with the spell trigger activation method. Simply willing the staff to cast the spell, and waving it or speaking a word, sets off the spell. Only arcane spellcasters can cast spells from arcane scrolls, and only divine casters from divine scrolls, but that's because scrolls are triggered by spell completion. They're just like carrying around extra prepared spells in your pocket.

Also, the DMG specifically says that a scroll can only be cast by the appropriate type of caster, and that arcane spell failure applies normally, but says nothing on either issue in the section describing the function of staves.

Am I right?

KillianHawkeye
2007-10-29, 06:01 AM
According the the DMG pg. 213, using a Spell Trigger activated magic item (such as a staff) does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the spellcaster must have the spell on his or her class' spell list in order to do so.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-29, 06:47 AM
The DMG never says he can't.

A caster can activate a spell from a staff with the spell trigger activation method. Simply willing the staff to cast the spell, and waving it or speaking a word, sets off the spell. Only arcane spellcasters can cast spells from arcane scrolls, and only divine casters from divine scrolls, but that's because scrolls are triggered by spell completion. They're just like carrying around extra prepared spells in your pocket.

Also, the DMG specifically says that a scroll can only be cast by the appropriate type of caster, and that arcane spell failure applies normally, but says nothing on either issue in the section describing the function of staves.

Am I right?

According the the DMG pg. 213, using a Spell Trigger activated magic item (such as a staff) does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the spellcaster must have the spell on his or her class' spell list in order to do so.

I'd also like to point out that even if one could use spells of the proper type of magic that weren't on your class list (a wizard using cure light wounds from an arcane magic item, let's say, since bards get that spell), there are no arcane classes which give one heal. Bard is the only type of arcane spellcaster that gets any healing spells, and heal is not one of them. So, there would not be any arcane staffs with heal in the first place; there's no way to make them. And it's always been the rule with all magic items that unless they are use activated (or one is very good with Use Magic Device), it MUST be the same type of magic. Scrolls, staves, wands, etc. are either arcane or divine and cannot be used interchangably.