PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Idea: The Truman Show

togapika
2020-06-06, 12:33 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what patron would work best for this build. The idea is a patron who doesn't ask you to complete tasks for them, instead they use some form of magic to be constantly recording your adventure that they then show and sell for profit, akin to the movie The Truman Show. You could play it either as him being full aware of the arrangement, or go full Truman and make it so that he/she doesn't know why they have these powers, only that they do.

Tanarii
2020-06-06, 12:41 PM
Make their Patron work with the deep elves (https://critical-hits.com//blog/2015/07/07/inside-the-deep-elf-marketing-department/) game shows (https://critical-hits.com/blog/2016/08/02/the-deep-elf-game-shows/)

Zaltman
2020-06-06, 01:50 PM
Read a book called Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. Actors ported to a fantasy world dimension where their actions are recorded for entertainment purposes.

Nifft
2020-06-06, 04:17 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what patron would work best for this build. The idea is a patron who doesn't ask you to complete tasks for them, instead they use some form of magic to be constantly recording your adventure that they then show and sell for profit, akin to the movie The Truman Show. You could play it either as him being full aware of the arrangement, or go full Truman and make it so that he/she doesn't know why they have these powers, only that they do.

Other Reality Television?

GOO works because it's an incomprehensible being from an alien un-reality, and that describes the television industry with some accuracy.

blackjack50
2020-06-06, 05:14 PM

LMAO! I have this as a character, but not warlock. A fighter who has a magical artifact on his neck (that cannot be removed) that is essentially a portal to another realm...basically? A TV for a Blue Elf looking guy who is something like a mix of the Big Lewbowski and Jeff Goldbloom from Thor Ragnarok lol. But he is a bit more of an active participant and will talk to the fighter telling him things and making him talk to him so that the fighter seems crazy to everyone else. It is amusing.

Chronos
2020-06-07, 06:36 AM
Tormenting mortals for their own amusement and that of their court sounds perfectly in line with some of the unseelie fey, to me.