PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ways to increase the distance between targeted creatures

Odin's Eyepatch
2020-06-06, 04:23 PM
There a lot of spells out there that allow you to target multiple creatures, as long as they are all within 30ft of one another. Usually they have text with something like this:

Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

Is there anyway to actually increase that range to beyond 30ft? I'm pretty sure that Widen Spell isn't good enough, because that only applies to "burst, emanation, line, or spread shaped" spells, and spells such have Haste do not have any such wording.

For personal context, I'm playing a wizard who's recently obtained the spell "Dimension Shuffle", and I'm trying to find a way to boost its effective targeting range. It has the same text as Haste does in terms of targeting, but I'd love to hear about a solution for all multi-targeting spells (though I'd be very happy if someone knows of a solution just for Dimension Shuffle).

Thanks in advance for any insight into this matter :smallsmile:

Ruethgar
2020-06-06, 05:44 PM
There is a PF metamagic feat, Vast Spell I think? One of the war caster(War Weaver?) PrCs that let you extend range IIRC and that might work. AFB but apart from that and Loyalty’s Reward, can’t really think of anything that could help.

Psyren
2020-06-06, 07:09 PM
There is a PF metamagic feat, Vast Spell I think? One of the war caster(War Weaver?) PrCs that let you extend range IIRC and that might work. AFB but apart from that and Loyalty’s Reward, can’t really think of anything that could help.

Correct. Vast Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/vast-spell-metamagic/) does this. In PF, every metamagic feat has an associated rod if you don't have a feat free to grab it.

Odin's Eyepatch
2020-06-07, 05:06 AM
Thank you both! Vast Spell is probably going to be my best shout at this stage. We don't really use pathfinder materials at our table, but Vast Spell is probably straightforward enough (and relatively situational) that it might be accepted at the table.

Thanks again!

Fizban
2020-06-07, 02:41 PM
You just described the limit as a range, which means a reading of Enlarge Spell could do it. Widen increases the area of a spell and thus the number of targets, but letting Enlarge allow more range for targets does not actually increase the number.