PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Treant (PEACH)

Debihuman
2020-06-06, 05:18 PM
With a nod to Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky. Any thoughts?

Treant, Tulgey
Gargantuan Plant
Hit Dice: 18d8+126 (207 hp)
IInitiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-4 size, -1 Dex, +17 natural), touch 5, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+38
Attack: Slam +22 melee (3d6+13) or throw fruit +8 ranged (2d6+13); in winter +8 ranged (2d6+13 plus 1d6 cold)
Full Attack: 2 slams +22 melee (3d6+13) or throw fruit +8 ranged (2d6+13); in winter +8 ranged (2d6+13 plus 1d6 cold)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects, trample 3d6+19
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/slashing, dense foliage, fire resistance 5, low-light vision, plant traits, sap
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +5, Will +11
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 8, Con 25, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Diplomacy +11, Hide -6*, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (nature) +9, Listen +13, Sense Motive +11, Spot +13, Survival +11 (+13 aboveground)
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Deflect ArrowsB, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack, Snatch
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Grove (Use Mob Template)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard plus sap and fruit
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 19-21 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

A tulgey treant has a dense canopy of leaves that extends out to 20 feet. Their leaves are the first to bud in spring, last to turn color in autumn, and the last to fall in winter, if at all. Its large leaves are deep green in the spring and summer. In the fall the leaves change to yellow, orange, or red. In winter, a tulgey treants leaves turn pale yellow and white and are often covered in a layer of ice. It produces a large dense apple-like fruit the size of a watermelon; one can feed a Medium Humanoid for an entire day. A typical tulgey treant has enough fruit to feed 15 people a day in the summer, 10 in the spring and fall and 50% chance of having 1d4+1 pieces of fruit the winter.

A treant’s legs fit together when closed to look like the trunk of a tree, and a motionless treant is nearly indistinguishable from a tree.

A tulgey treant is about 45 feet tall, with a "trunk" about 10 feet in diameter. It weighs about 15,000 pounds.

Treants speak their own language, plus Common and Sylvan. Most also can manage a smattering of just about all other humanoid tongues—at least enough to say "Get away from my trees!"

Combat

Treants prefer to watch potential foes carefully before attacking. They often charge suddenly from cover to trample the despoilers of forests. If sorely pressed, they animate trees as reinforcements.

Animate Trees (Sp): A tulgey treant can animate trees within 300 feet at will, controlling up to four trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a standard treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the treant that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same vulnerability to fire that a standard treant has.

Dense Foliage (Ex): A tulgey treant always has ¾ cover from ranged weapon attacks due to its dense foliage. Creatures within 20 feet of a tulgey treant also gain ½ cover from ranged weapon attacks due to the treant’s dense foliage. The area under the treant’s canopy is likewise protected from weather conditions except for the severest tornados.

Double Damage Against Objects (Ex): A tulgey treant or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Sap (Ex): A tulgey treant exudes a sticky sap that grants it fire resistance, damage reduction 15/slashing and removes the vulnerability to fire that normal treants have. Metal weapons that make contact with the sticky sap become dull and take a -2 penalty to attack and damage until the sap is removed. Metal armor is unaffected. The sap it difficult to remove and takes at a full minute to wipe or wash off.

If the tulgey treant allows for it, its sap can also be collected to make syrup not unlike maple syrup. A tulgey treant produces enough sap to fill a gallon bucket per day in the fall and winter. Sap tapped in warmer months has an unpalatable flavor to most humanoids though orcs seem to like it. Making the syrup is a simple DC 10 Profession (cook or chef) or Craft (cooking) or similar skill check.

Throw Fruit (Ex): A tulgey treant can hurl its fruit at opponents up to 120 feet away (no range increment). Winter fruit is always frozen, doing an additional 1d6 points of cold damage.

Trample (Ex): Reflex DC 32 half. The save DC is Strength-based.

Skills: *Treants have a +16 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested areas. Gargantuan creatures have a -12 penalty to Hide. The penalty is already accounted for in its statistic block.

rferries
2020-06-07, 05:37 PM
Haha very charming!

Some minor edits:
-Hit points should be 207 I think.
-I believe it should get it's full Str bonus on damage with the thrown fruit.
-Skill points are off, should have 63 total but I count 70 (even accounting for ability modifiers and skill synergies).

The grove using the mob template is pure *chef's kiss*.

Here's a link (https://www.deviantart.com/davesrightmind/art/Alice-meets-the-King-of-the-Tulgey-Wood-541212807) to artwork you might want to add.

Debihuman
2020-06-08, 04:56 AM
Haha very charming!

Some minor edits:
-Hit points should be 207 I think.
-I believe it should get it's full Str bonus on damage with the thrown fruit.
-Skill points are off, should have 63 total but I count 70 (even accounting for ability modifiers and skill synergies).

The grove using the mob template is pure *chef's kiss*.

Here's a link (https://www.deviantart.com/davesrightmind/art/Alice-meets-the-King-of-the-Tulgey-Wood-541212807) to artwork you might want to add.

You are right about the hit points. it's fixed.
Not sure where the skills are off. It has 63 base skills and then Alertness gives +2 to Spot and Listen. Diplomacy gets +2 synergy from Sense Motive. All the skills but Hide have 8 ranks; Hide has 7 ranks. That should be 69 plus ability modifiers. Hide should be -6 (7 ranks, -1 Dex, -12 size penalty); that was the skill that was throwing off the numbers. Gargantuan creatures take a -12 size penalty to Hide. I fixed that.

You are right about the Str modify to damage for the fruit. I'll fix it.

Thanks for checking and correcting. I'm terrible at math--even simple arithmetic.

Glad you liked it. I'm of the opinion that the Mob Template doesn't get enough love. I love mobs and swarms.