PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spell Save DC spells and cover

dnd2016
2020-06-06, 10:03 PM
If i cast a spell at an enemy and he has to make a spell save dc but there is another target in between them, how would you work that?

Lunali
2020-06-06, 11:44 PM
If i cast a spell at an enemy and he has to make a spell save dc but there is another target in between them, how would you work that?

Cover provides a bonus to dex saves, but no others, and some spells give exceptions to that bonus.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-06, 11:47 PM
Usually creatures gives half cover. Half cover gives +2 to dex saves.

If depends of the spell. Some spells ignore cover(seacred flame).
Some spells have different available points of origin, if you can change the point of origin so no one is in the way there is no way to get a cover from it.

Edit: shadow monked

Darc_Vader
2020-06-07, 12:52 AM
Cover provides a bonus to dex saves, but no others, and some spells give exceptions to that bonus.

By RAW does this mean that any enemies beyond the closest caught in a Lightning Bolt would get +2 to their save? Because Fireball really doesn’t need another leg up on Lightning Bolt.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-07, 01:36 AM
By RAW does this mean that any enemies beyond the closest caught in a Lightning Bolt would get +2 to their save? Because Fireball really doesn’t need another leg up on Lightning Bolt.

It is also right for every enemy that is in a line with the source point of fireball and another creature.
Unless you read it as ignoring cover:

The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.

And lighting bolt will give cover based on how you read this:

A stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose.

Is it a line with all the line as his point of origin or a bolt that travel from the caster in a direction?

Pex
2020-06-07, 02:41 AM

Where does it say this? Seriously, I want to know. I don't recall it, and it's always been bugging me why Sacred Flame specifies it ignores cover when whatever game I played cover only mattered for range attacks never a saving throw.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-07, 03:11 AM
Where does it say this? Seriously, I want to know. I don't recall it, and it's always been bugging me why Sacred Flame specifies it ignores cover when whatever game I played cover only mattered for range attacks never a saving throw.

The rules for cover under combat in the PHB(from d&d beyond)

Half Cover
A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

Three-Quarters Cover
A target with three-quarters cover has a +5 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has three-quarters cover if about three-quarters of it is covered by an obstacle. The obstacle might be a portcullis, an arrow slit, or a thick tree trunk.

JellyPooga
2020-06-07, 04:43 AM

The rules for cover under combat in the PHB(from d&d beyond)

I suppose it mighy also worth noting, in a similar vein, that Dodge also grants advantage on Dex Saves. It was something I was frequently overlooking until recently.

Pex
2020-06-07, 09:11 AM
Thanks. We've been overlooking this.

Tanarii
2020-06-07, 09:31 AM
It is also right for every enemy that is in a line with the source point of fireball and another creature.
Unless you read it as ignoring cover:At the minimum fireball doesn't need a clear path to the target from the point of origin to affect it, it just needs a clear 'bendy' path to the target.

But IMO it pretty clearly indicates you can't get partial cover from creatures etc.

And lighting bolt will give cover based on how you read this:

Is it a line with all the line as his point of origin or a bolt that travel from the caster in a direction?
It extends from the point of origin, which in this case is the caster. Note the point of origin isn't included in the effect, so the caster isn't blasting themselves. Similar rules apply for the cone (burning hands) and cube (thunder wave), but not sphere or cylinder. So you can't fireball yourself and not be affected.

LINE
A line extends from its point oforigin in a straight path up to its length and covers an area defined by its width.
A line's point of origin is not included in the line's area of effect, unless you decide otherwise.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-07, 11:12 AM
At the minimum fireball doesn't need a clear path to the target from the point of origin to affect it, it just needs a clear 'bendy' path to the target.

But IMO it pretty clearly indicates you can't get partial cover from creatures etc.

It extends from the point of origin, which in this case is the caster. Note the point of origin isn't included in the effect, so the caster isn't blasting themselves. Similar rules apply for the cone (burning hands) and cube (thunder wave), but not sphere or cylinder. So you can't fireball yourself and not be affected.

LINE
A line extends from its point oforigin in a straight path up to its length and covers an area defined by its width.
A line's point of origin is not included in the line's area of effect, unless you decide otherwise.

This part:

and covers an area defined by its width.

It what I think open it for discussion.
If by covering the area it effect equally everything inside or will you be able to get partial cover from creatures in the way?

I honestly don't know the answer and in my games I just don't give line effect the benefits of cover from creatures as it is easier to manage. Not because I think it is correct.

Tanarii
2020-06-07, 02:07 PM
This part:

It what I think open it for discussion.
If by covering the area it effect equally everything inside or will you be able to get partial cover from creatures in the way?

I honestly don't know the answer and in my games I just don't give line effect the benefits of cover from creatures as it is easier to manage. Not because I think it is correct.
It doesn't change the rule that there needs to be a clear path to the target from the point of origin. It just defines the area affected. If that path is partially blocks, it's partial cover. If it's completely blocked, it's total cover. So if there's a creature between you and the origin point then you get the bonus to your save.

Unlike fireball, which definitely overrides the clear path rule for spells and probably does for cover too.

WaroftheCrans
2020-06-07, 02:33 PM
Keep in mind, the creature has to block at least half/3 quarters of his body, so its not simply a case of "all creatures provide half-3/4 cover"

Tanarii
2020-06-07, 02:42 PM
Keep in mind, the creature has to block at least half/3 quarters of his body, so its not simply a case of "all creatures provide half-3/4 cover"
Unless they're significantly off to the side-like, being closer to the origin makes 1/2 cover likely if it's a direct line. (Personally I only use 1/2 cover unless it's a larger creature, even when there is something standing right in front of the caster / archer, like an ally, and the target is far away.)

But in this specific case of lightning bolt, ya, given the width of 5ft there's definitely the possibility for not being effectively shielded because you're in a staggered line relative to the point of origin.

dnd2016
2020-06-08, 05:31 PM
But can you target an enemy if a creature is in between the two of you(5ft. space on grid map), with a spell that effects one target?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-08, 11:04 PM
But can you target an enemy if a creature is in between the two of you(5ft. space on grid map), with a spell that effects one target?

Yes, seacred flame is an example for this(that is also way it says it ignore cover).
Another is fire bolt, toll the dead, everything that have a target and the range.

The list is long.

BurgerBeast
2020-06-09, 08:51 PM

The only requirement is that the caster can see the target. If the caster can see the target, he can “target” the target.

Tanarii
2020-06-09, 08:58 PM
The only requirement is that the caster can see the target. If the caster can see the target, he can “target” the target.
If it's spell that doesn't specify "you can see", you don't even have to be able to see the target. Only have a clear path the the target (or target origin point).

Edit: in the context of the post you are quoting, the answer is probably: a creature doesn't provide total cover, and anything less than total cover is a clear path to the target, so yes you can. With a caveat that if the spell says "that you can see", you also need to be able to see them.