PDA

View Full Version : Best published class feature(s) in the game that's not spellcasting?

Deathtongue
2020-06-07, 01:25 PM
I'm going to nominate two.

#2) Aura of Protection - This feature is unbelievably good. It comes in just at the part of the game when saving-throw effects start becoming common and nasty and it can be a gigantic bonus if you feel like. While even just a blanket +3 bonus to saving throws for you and even the party is awesome if you don't mind clustering, you can get it even higher than that. And in a lot of exploration setups, clustering is better than trying to stay outside of fireball formation. One underrated part of Aura of Protection is that the investment you need to put into it to make it its very best opens up possibilities that aren't that attractive to other paladins. The Oath of Conquest Paladin is so good not just because of its class features, but because it gets the most out of AoP. And without this feature, the Sorceradin Paladin (which I think is the best tank in the game) wouldn't exist.

#1) Barbarian Rage - As you might have guessed from my post, spellcasting is the best feature in the game, so something that completely excludes it better be awesome. And this class feature rises to the challenge. I've never played a barbarian past the early stages of T2, but do you know how many butts this class feature has saved, either on me or on someone else? And you'd think it would drop off as the game goes on, like a lot of other sicknasty class features like Radiance of the Dawn, but it just keeps getting better. 50% damage resistance becomes MORE relevant as the game goes on, not less. Magical B/P/S monster damage is rare to the point of being nonexistent while nonmagical B/P/S monster damage is both common and increasingly painful. Being a bonus action is also a huge plus, since unless effects like Stoneskin you can start kicking butt IMMEDIATELY.

And honorable mentions go to:
#3) Sculpt Spells - It's not the flashiest effect, but it's why I think Evocation wizards are the best blaster-casters -- and they have some stiff competition in the mid levels like Dragon Sorcerers and Light Clerics. I've played non-Evocation wizard casters, but the most frustrating thing about such casters is that sometimes the space you're in is too small to use AoEs, sometimes the spell would normally be really good but most of the time it's unusably big like Dawn, and the monsters get mixed up with your party. Dropping a 8d6 + 4 fireball at level 6, with the option to reroll any pesky 1s and 2s, is jaw-droppingly awesome don't get me wrong. All the same, I'd rather be able to nail three knights instead of just one. Most DMs will even let me use Sculpt Spells to exclude myself even though it's not RAW, but you don't need it.

#4) Stunning Fist - To put it in perspective, if Stunning Fist was any other save, including WIS, it'd be better than Barbarian Rage. If you've read any of my spellcaster guides, I warn spellcasters about grabbing spells that focus on CON saving throws. But it's different here: 2-4 Stunning Fists is just so good in a world of Bounded Accuracy -- so even in the very late levels, when everyone and their mother has a +6 - +9 bonus to CON saving throws, you can force monsters to fail or blow multiple Legendary Resistances. Unlike a lot of status effects, Stunned is an incredibly rare condition for monsters to be able to go 'lol no' to. Stunning Fist is just such a good feature that I judge monk subclasses by how well they can augment or patch up the holes this feature. Which is why I think Open Palm is by far the best monk subclass, Shadow is okay, and everything else doesn't rate.

As you might have guessed from my picks, I highly rate availability for 'best class feature'. If I was making a list of the twenty most overpowered class features, Barbarian Rage wouldn't be on it. However, Barbarian Rage has prevented so many TPKs in the years I've been playing that I feel justified in calling it the best non-spellcasting feature in the game.

Catullus64
2020-06-07, 01:41 PM
My vote: Cunning Action. No other feature grants such fantastic action economy without expenditure of resources, and it is this feature, far more so than Sneak Attack, that defines my favorite class in the game. Not just because of the superior maneuverability it offers in combat; that can vary in usefulness based on your table's style of play. Whether you use a battle map, whether your DM makes lots of encounters that demand good positioning, these things can make it more or less useful. No, what really makes this feature tops is that it provides so much ability to fish yourself out of trouble, which is vital for a class whose flavor and abilities seem to center around getting yourself into trouble. Thus, it enables a daring and risk-taking playstyle.

I think that an assessment of which class features are the best should also account for the level it comes online, and therefore for how much of the class's lifespan you get to use it. Cunning Action comes in at a lovely level 2.

Throne12
2020-06-07, 02:13 PM
Dude action surge. It gives you a hole second action.

Deathtongue
2020-06-08, 07:12 AM
I think that an assessment of which class features are the best should also account for the level it comes online, and therefore for how much of the class's lifespan you get to use it. Cunning Action comes in at a lovely level 2.I'm a huge fan of the upgrades Thieves and Arcane Tricksters get to Cunning Action. I mean, from a Doylist perspective there's no reason for them to be upgrades to Cunning Action but I still appreciate it.

nickl_2000
2020-06-08, 07:14 AM
Moon Druid Wildshaping is up there. I don't think anyone breaks encounters at certain levels as well as that.

Deathtongue
2020-06-08, 07:28 AM
Moon Druid Wildshaping is up there. I don't think anyone breaks encounters at certain levels as well as that.A very good pick. I don't think Moon Druids hold up long term as well as Land/Shepherd druids, but they're just so jaw-droppingly strong in T1 and much of T2 that this class feature would be in my top-five list of Best Abilities Ever. Probably not first place because Barbarian Rage and Aura of Protection are not just good when you get them, but get better as the game goes on, but definitely in the top five.

nickl_2000
2020-06-08, 07:34 AM
A very good pick. I don't think Moon Druids hold up long term as well as Land/Shepherd druids, but they're just so jaw-droppingly strong in T1 and much of T2 that this class feature would be in my top-five list of Best Abilities Ever. Probably not first place because Barbarian Rage and Aura of Protection are not just good when you get them, but get better as the game goes on, but definitely in the top five.

Oh I totally agree, it doesn't hold up over a 1-20 game compared to some of the other ones. However, if you are allowed to combine Wildshape with beast spell and archdruid it becomes literally the most powerful feature in the game.

However, that isn't what you were talking about in the OP.

Deathtongue
2020-06-08, 07:38 AM
Oh I totally agree, it doesn't hold up over a 1-20 game compared to some of the other ones. However, if you are allowed to combine Wildshape with beast spell and archdruid it becomes literally the most powerful feature in the game.

However, that isn't what you were talking about in the OP.Indeed. I tried make a distinction between 'best' and 'most powerful'. Illusory Reality is completely bonkers, but Barbarian Rage has saved more butts than probably any other non-spellcasting class feature. Including Moon Druid Wild Shape and Aura of Protection.

I do want to say that an underrated class feature is Arcane Recovery. I wouldn't put it in a top 5 list, but I could put it in a top 10. And the main reason why it wouldn't go in a top 10 list is because druid spellcasting doesn't really take off until level 5 or so, while for a wizard Arcane Recovery is good right away for an extra Dragon's Breath or Web or even a couple of Shields.

Pex
2020-06-08, 07:41 AM
Third level bear totem with rage. Resistance to all damage except psychic is fun and effective. It has to be an epic battle to get you to drop by hit point attrition. You can afford to run into danger or environmental damage effects when necessary.

Joe the Rat
2020-06-08, 07:42 AM
Sarcastically, Agonizing Blast. It's the reason Warlock is a two-level dip.

More broadly, Invocations in general - that pushes the topic edges, as many are spells, but it is a pool of features that gives you ridiculous customization.

non-Warlock:

Cunning action is guaranteed bonus actions, and can make you the fastest-without-resources character.

Action Surge is a full extra (1-2 times a short rest) actions

Thief's Reflexes is an extra entire turn in the first round. There's a reason it's high opportunity cost.

Contrast
2020-06-08, 07:43 AM
Magical B/P/S monster damage is rare to the point of being nonexistent while nonmagical B/P/S monster damage is both common and increasingly painful.

Just to note as a lot of people seem to make this mistake, barbarian rage doesn't care if the damage is magical or not. You get resistance to all BPS damage, no caveats.

Deathtongue
2020-06-08, 07:46 AM
Third level bear totem with rage. Resistance to all damage except psychic is fun and effective. It has to be an epic battle to get you to drop by hit point attrition. You can afford to run into danger or environmental damage effects when necessary.I strongly thought about making standard barbarian rage #1 and Bear Totem Barbarian Rage #2 based strictly on opportunity cost, as Barbarians have some amazing subclasses. Though I could definitely see BTB as #1. Resistance to practically all damage is incredibly hard to get as a non-spellcaster and BTB gives it very early in the game as a bonus action.

Deathtongue
2020-06-08, 07:48 AM
Just to note as a lot of people seem to make this mistake, barbarian rage doesn't care if the damage is magical or not. You get resistance to all BPS damage, no caveats.I keep forgetting that, thanks for the reminder.

OldTrees1
2020-06-08, 07:58 AM
Not in order (base class only)
ASI
Extra Attack
Rage
Expertise
Action Surge
Aura of Protection
Cunning Action
Reliable Talent

My top picks (in order):
Expertise
Reliable Talent
Aura of Protection
Cunning Action

Emongnome777
2020-06-08, 08:17 AM
I love Bardic Inspiration. Good before 5th, but amazing after. Stays relevant for all levels. Because of this feature (at least mostly), I’d say a bard could be a half caster and still be a solid class.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-08, 10:22 AM
Expertise, reliable talent and peerless skill. Let you reliable successed in various challenges and skill checks.

Jack of all trades also worth mentioning.

nickl_2000
2020-06-08, 10:25 AM
I think there needs to be a consideration of when you get it as well. For example, expertise and cunning action are picked up at an early level and enjoyed through the entire carrier of the character, whereas Aura of Protection is often used for 1-2 levels before a campaign ends.

Also, no one has mentioned Smite. Given the adoration of Sorcadins and Palilocks on these boards that surprises me.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-08, 10:30 AM
I think there needs to be a consideration of when you get it as well. For example, expertise and cunning action are picked up at an early level and enjoyed through the entire carrier of the character, whereas Aura of Protection is often used for 1-2 levels before a campaign ends.

Also, no one has mentioned Smite. Given the adoration of Sorcadins and Palilocks on these boards that surprises me.

That is probably because smite is very situational.
Why would a paladin waste spell slots on smite when they not need to when they can cast spells like bless?

You save it for nove(or when radiant damage is needed) and using nove in the wrong moment is very bad.

Isn't Aura of protection is a level 6 ability? It is pretty early in the game and it takes longer to level up at higher levels.

nickl_2000
2020-06-08, 10:36 AM
That is probably because smite is very situational.
Why would a paladin waste spell slots on smite when they not need to when they can cast spells like bless?

You save it for nove(or when radiant damage is needed) and using nove in the wrong moment is very bad.

Isn't Aura of protection is a level 6 ability? It is pretty early in the game and it takes longer to level up at higher levels.

Yes, Aura of Protection is level 6. From what I've read most campaigns go end around level 8 (or sometimes sooner), given that you still get a lot more mileage out of a level 1 or 2 ability.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-08, 10:43 AM
A very good pick. I don't think Moon Druids hold up long term as well as Land/Shepherd druids, but they're just so jaw-droppingly strong in T1 and much of T2 that this class feature would be in my top-five list of Best Abilities Ever. Probably not first place because Barbarian Rage and Aura of Protection are not just good when you get them, but get better as the game goes on, but definitely in the top five.

I've always been kinda confused on the idea that Moon Druids don't hold up. Are the spells/features a Land Druid gets so impactful?

Sure, you can't just "beast mode" your way through every late-game encounter, but it's not like the Land Druid's extra cantrips are going to be a game-changer.

Moon Druid or not, my vote's on Wild Shape. Twice per Short Rest, each use an hour, to change up your skills and scouting abilities. It's pretty nuts. I could see Find Familiar being the only real contender, if it wasn't a spell. Or Mask of Many Faces.

Keravath
2020-06-08, 10:45 AM
Lots of good ones mentioned ...

I think Reliable Talent needs an honorable mention at the least ... it is a gamechanger with skills especially when combined with rogue expertise.

Jack of All Trades - low key but very useful - especially with applications to initiative and counterspell/dispel magic

Cutting Words - very versatile and useful

---

Cunning Action - has to be one of the best

I would vote for Action Surge but it is one extra action every short rest so although situationally awesome it is also pretty limited.

Wild Shape - very versatile as well allowing for both scouting and some combat options

Paladin Aura - level 6 saving throw aura is just so universally appreciated it is hard to ignore

KorvinStarmast
2020-06-08, 10:51 AM
1. Cunning Action is hard for me to argue against. I have seen so many great uses of this since my nephew began to play a rogue in 2014 in our first game.

2. Action Surge: right up there. It has allowed me to do six attacks in a turn, it has allowed me to chase down fleeing enemies, it allowed me to cast a spell (from a ring of spell storing) as that second action in a turn.

3. Aura of Protection - If the party works as a team, this is really, really nice. That's why my default "you are playing the martial/tank, what are you?" response is Paladin in a four person party.

4. Stunning Strike - a stunned opponent becomes chutney if the team is working together well. But I agree with the above analysis in that Open Hand is proabably the way to go to get the most out of this ability.

5. Lay on Hands.

Deathtongue
2020-06-08, 11:00 AM
I've always been kinda confused on the idea that Moon Druids don't hold up. Are the spells/features a Land Druid gets so impactful?It's less the Land Druid or Moon Druids themselves and how Druid spellcasting really shoots up in combat usefulness at around level 5. Spells like Conjure Animals, Watery Sphere, Transmute Rock, Wall of Stone, Polymorph, and Confusion make the druid as good of a battlefield controller as wizards who don't have class features to help them -- such as the Necromancer wizard. Because of this shift in the metagame, Land Druids maintain an edge with their version of Arcane Recovery and also getting a small boost to spells known. This is especially helpful if the Land Druid manages to grab a reliable DPR spell like Lightning Bolt or a good low-level disabling spell like like Web or Silence or Slow or Stinking Cloud (which Land Druids can abuse, hilariously enough).

Now, Moon Druids don't fall off right away. Even when the metagame shifts to favor pure caster-druids, you can still play your Moon Druid as a defensive caster by using your bonus action (which druids don't have much competition for) strictly to swap between forms that give extra hit points/flight. However, as you gain more spell slots and your list becomes better and monsters themselves gain more meat, Moon Druid melee combat becomes slowly more superfluous. You COULD concentrate on a spell that doesn't require babysitting like Wall of Stone and then shift into an Earth Elemental, or you could just cast Watery Sphere and babysit it. Or if you dropped a Conjure Animals, drop another one without shifting back from your Wildshape after an enemy AoE or multiclass ganks all of your velociraptors.

Of course, you won't really notice this paradigm shift permanently in favor of the Land/Shepherd druid until around level 13, when like 99% of campaigns have ended. At around levels 7 - 12, you'll be about equal. For levels 2-4, you'll easily be one of the best classes in the game, if not the best.

Skylivedk
2020-06-08, 05:02 PM
Campaign and playstyle dependent:

Wildshape: I think rumors of its demise in T3 are highly exaggerated.

Aura of protection

Hexblade's Curse (puzzled I haven't seen the Tiamat killer here yet)

Reliable Talent

Metamagic

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-08, 05:08 PM
It's less the Land Druid or Moon Druids themselves and how Druid spellcasting really shoots up in combat usefulness at around level 5. Spells like Conjure Animals, Watery Sphere, Transmute Rock, Wall of Stone, Polymorph, and Confusion make the druid as good of a battlefield controller as wizards who don't have class features to help them -- such as the Necromancer wizard. Because of this shift in the metagame, Land Druids maintain an edge with their version of Arcane Recovery and also getting a small boost to spells known. This is especially helpful if the Land Druid manages to grab a reliable DPR spell like Lightning Bolt or a good low-level disabling spell like like Web or Silence or Slow or Stinking Cloud (which Land Druids can abuse, hilariously enough).

Now, Moon Druids don't fall off right away. Even when the metagame shifts to favor pure caster-druids, you can still play your Moon Druid as a defensive caster by using your bonus action (which druids don't have much competition for) strictly to swap between forms that give extra hit points/flight. However, as you gain more spell slots and your list becomes better and monsters themselves gain more meat, Moon Druid melee combat becomes slowly more superfluous. You COULD concentrate on a spell that doesn't require babysitting like Wall of Stone and then shift into an Earth Elemental, or you could just cast Watery Sphere and babysit it. Or if you dropped a Conjure Animals, drop another one without shifting back from your Wildshape after an enemy AoE or multiclass ganks all of your velociraptors.

Of course, you won't really notice this paradigm shift permanently in favor of the Land/Shepherd druid until around level 13, when like 99% of campaigns have ended. At around levels 7 - 12, you'll be about equal. For levels 2-4, you'll easily be one of the best classes in the game, if not the best.

That makes a lot of sense. I do "aaaaah" and "ooooooh" at some of the higher level magics without actually thinking about them as real, usable elements to the game. Like artifacts, in a way.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-08, 07:20 PM
I nominate expertise. I like it a lot
second vote would go to jack of all trades
guess what kind of characters I play/

OldTrees1
2020-06-08, 07:35 PM
I nominate expertise. I like it a lot
second vote would go to jack of all trades
guess what kind of characters I play/

Ones that would nominate Reliable Talent?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-08, 07:48 PM
Ones that would nominate Reliable Talent?

Oh yeah that too. Don't tend to play to a high enough level to get reliable talent.
also shoutout to pact magic coz thats a loophole

Tvtyrant
2020-06-08, 07:56 PM
Infuse Item and Wildshape seem pretty high up the list.

iTreeby
2020-06-08, 08:45 PM
Manifest Echo gets my vote, it's at least as strong as Cunning Action.

Tanarii
2020-06-08, 08:59 PM
Expertise & Reliable
Fast Hands
Infiltration Expertise & Imposter
Shadow step
Improvement Unarmored Movement

I'm also a fan of Natural Explorer, as it adds things no one else can do, like forage/navigate/track and not be automatically surprised as a result. But it could possibly use a minor boost. My person fav would be to allow all the non-pseudo-expertise bonuses to work in any natural terrain, instead of 1-3/8ths of them.

eunwoler
2020-06-09, 10:29 PM
I think the designers did a great job giving each class a defining class feature in the lines of spellcasting

As mentioned, Action Surge is probably that coolest defining thing Fighters get. While casters can do different, magical things, Fighters can do the same mundane things but to a way better degree.

Cunning Action too. You can do the same mundane things but much quicker, usefully and frequently. I

Barbarian Rage is great. You become the tanky strong guy. You have utility in Strength, damage with the Strength and rage bonus, and support yourself with resistance and advantage on saving throws. Plus other perks down the line

Of these three I think Cunning Action is the most beautifully crafted feature. It's so perfect and Roguey and class defining. It makes sense for every rogue build to have this feature, it also has a huge impact on your playstyle and is very versatile.

Action Surge is good but it's a power spike so the infrequency of use drops it a notch or so

Rage is not as succinctly built as Cunning Action and hopefully never will be. But that's why its below Cunning Action for me

Deathtongue
2020-06-10, 02:04 PM
Rage is not as succinctly built as Cunning Action and hopefully never will be. But that's why its below Cunning Action for meCunning Action has pulled my party's fats out of the fryer before (the extra Dash cannot be discounted for things like catching people) but for my money there has been no class feature that has saved the day more than Barbarian Rage, hence why I rated it the best feature. Your mileage may vary.

eunwoler
2020-06-10, 07:44 PM
Cunning Action has pulled my party's fats out of the fryer before (the extra Dash cannot be discounted for things like catching people) but for my money there has been no class feature that has saved the day more than Barbarian Rage, hence why I rated it the best feature. Your mileage may vary.

I don't mean in power level but in how efficiently written it is to the class. Cunning Action just feels very seamless. Rage is definitely an awesome feature I'd play Barbarian for Rage alone