PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying When casting Planar Binding, are the simplest instructions the best instructions?

meta-dnd
2020-06-07, 06:07 PM
The Context

If the target of Planar Binding fails their Charisma save, they are required to "follow your instructions to the best of its ability".

In the thread How can an entity bound by Planar Binding be prevented from betraying the caster? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24544432) I provide a detailed set of instructions that a caster could specify to the target, and am updating those instructions as we discover ways for the target to work around them. Unsurprisingly, the more instructions added, the more loopholes tend to arise. One of the suggestions was that it would be better to have a much more concise set of instructions. I'm creating this new thread to explore that idea. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on how this will work for Marissa, and what Bob will do (see below).

The Scenario

Consider Marissa, a 17th level Sorcerer who knows the Wish spell. A foolhardy incubus, Bob, attempts to seduce her, and Marissa casts Wish to duplicate Planar Binding using an 8th level spell slot (this casting ignores spell-casting requirements so it does not take 1 hour to cast, instead happening immediately, and does not consume a 1000gp jewel). The hapless Bob fails his Charisma save, the tables are turned, and he must follow Marissa's instructions to the best of his ability for the next 180 days.

The Instructions

Marissa gives Bob the following instructions. She will update these instructions as problems surface related to them (by adding new versions of each instruction, so as to keep a record of changes as the instructions evolve). The version with the highest number is considered the current "best" choice.

Don't do anything you think I probably wouldn't want you to do.

Notes

Marissa's goal here is primarily to learn, with an intelligent but relatively "safe" fiend, how to create a set of commands that protects herself and others while still allowing the bound entity to be truly useful. She eventually plans to use the same technique on more dangerous entities (Dao, Efretti, Erinyes, etc.) and wants to "work out as many kinks" as possible first. I'm looking for help from the community to identify how Marissa can best accomplish this (or maybe we conclude that Planar Binding is a trap that should never be cast).
I will be editing/updating this initial post as new ideas arise in the discussion.

OldTrees1
2020-06-07, 07:51 PM
When you coerce a vastly more powerful being, expect consequences if the being still exists afterwards.

Consider AI safety research. While Planar Binding is a less complex problem, it is not much less complex.

JackPhoenix
2020-06-07, 09:33 PM
From a metagame perspective, more or less yes. As a GM, if you present me with a list like in the other thread, I *will* look for loopholes to abuse as much as possible (the creature's intelligence permitting, of course... an elemental wouldn't understand what half of that means in the first place), if only because I don't want to deal with and remember a page of arbitrary rules every time I roleplay the NPC. If I see something more reasonable, I won't be a richard in turn. Yes, unwilling creature will try to get away with things, because it's a part of the spell, but not to any great degree.

Also, there's no contract. Nobody asked the incubus if he agrees and accepts the terms, which is what 'contract' implies.