PDA

View Full Version : Orlando in March

Midnight Son
2007-10-27, 02:10 PM
So, me and my parents and sister are going to be in the Orlando, FL area from March 4th through 11th. We are wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what are some of the funner things to do there. We may spend a day at Disney World, but my parents say it's too expensive for more than that.

Also, if any of you Floridians want to get together, I should be able to set aside some time for it.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-10-27, 03:26 PM
You're in luck. Prior to moving down to Miami for law school three months ago, I lived in Orlando for about six years.

The parks are... well... expensive. There's a lot to do with all of the different Disney parks though.

There's also the Universal parks. A day pass for both parks is a little bit cheaper than a day pass to Disney. Even if you don't go to the Universal parks themselves, there's actually a good bit to do in Universal City Walk (which is free... well, parking isn't). There's usually a concert or something going on in that area at night.

SeaWorld isn't too far from Orlando either.

If you're into that sort of thing, there are also a couple night clubs in downtown Orlando. I can't attest to their quality though, as I am not into that kind of thing, and never went.

PM me if you've got any questions. I'd be happy to give recommendations for restaurants and everything else.

phoenixineohp
2007-10-27, 03:51 PM
Check out a gator farm while you are there!

Midnight Son
2007-10-27, 10:19 PM
Okay. Universal, Disney, SeaWorld and...Gator Farm? Phoenix, where is this gator farm and how much is it and can I run across the backs of gators like in Pitfall?

Edit. Oh wait, in Pitfall, you swung across them on a rope. Which one was it that you got on a gator's back? Frogger? Either way, I wanna do it.:smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2007-10-27, 10:25 PM
Hey, that can prove to be interesting.

It's almost certain that I'll be landing and spending a few days in Orlando in March as well before starting my little trip to meet as many US based GITPers as possible. :smallwink:
So, should there be a meeting in the area during that period, you can count me in. :smallsmile:

So, I hope to see you there. :smallsmile:

13_CBS
2007-10-27, 10:26 PM
You could try using their snapping jaws as spring boards, a la Donkey Kong Country.

Quincunx
2007-10-28, 08:41 AM
You're almost certainly renting a car. Cape Canaveral is an hour, hour-and-a-half to the east. Not going there was one of my regrets. If there's a scheduled launch then, look to the skies no matter where you are--the flame and smoke rising into the sky can be seen from some distance away.

SeaWorld was interesting, but not essential. If you're into thrill rides and coasters, or entertainment less fussy about catering to the whole family, Universal Studios is your choice. Magic Kingdom is the classic Disney World park, but choosing the best one has to do more with what you like to do--Magic Kingdom, if you don't like the animated movies or childish things, will bore you senseless.

International Drive (I-Drive) is the tourist street, packed with hotels, motels, cheap feeds, and the occasional leftover bit of kitsch, closer to downtown; the name of the "highway" tourist street outside of Orlando, and much closer to Disney World, escapes me at the moment. (I knew it as "Frell, not more construction" Highway. [EDIT: Highway 192!]) Better food can be found if you're willing to drive a bit--again, PM for particulars.

I'd imagine that the parks are still searching backpacks and large bags, even six years on, as it gives them an excuse to look for cheaper food and drink (especially drink!) to be brought in from outside. Try to bring in drink anyway. Do you have those cargo pants with ridiculously large pockets?

phoenixineohp
2007-10-28, 12:10 PM
I can't remember which I went to, but there seem to be a few cool ones.

Gatorland (http://www.gatorland.com/)
Eveglades Alligator Farm (http://www.everglades.com/)
A helpful guide (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/ANIMgator.html)
More links (http://www.visitflorida.com/cms/e/classic_florida_attractions.php)

Dwarkanath
2007-10-28, 12:39 PM
Oh bummer, I was going to suggest the Tupperware Museum but it's apparently gone :-(

More seriously, there's a bunch of touristy-trap-like stuff on US 192 near Disney that has a few interesting shops and whatnot. Might not be your kind of thing, but the parents might be into it.

-- Dave

Midnight Son
2007-10-28, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Keep the suggestions coming. I plan to show this to my parents when we sit down to plan this all out.

Also, is anyone interested in setting up a get together? I certainly do not have to spend every day of the week with the family.

The Bushranger
2007-10-28, 06:56 PM
March? Avoid Daytona like the plague, unless you want to be stampeded by Harleys...

If you can make it up to DeLand, though, be sure to eat at Bellini's Delicatessen - mmmm!!

The NASA Visitor's Center is also well worth the side-trip. As is Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Feel free to chuck an Insanely Overpowered Fireball at Dismal World for me... :smallfurious:

rubakhin
2007-10-28, 07:17 PM
My grandfather Jasiu retired down there. He likes to kayak. That's the in thing as of late for the bourgeois set. I'm not sure what it would cost to rent a couple two-seater kayaks or canoes, but theoretically not that much. My family went down there to visit him and we did it - there's no learning curve, you just sit in the boat and paddle, and it's a fine way to kill a few hours.

Depending on how you feel about American art, there are some nice museums. The only one I remember that branches out is the Cornell Fine Arts Museum, which, if I recall correctly, has a few nice Quattrocento pieces. I also poked around and it seems the Orlando Museum of Art will be featuring a Rockwell exhibit while you're down there, if that kind of thing's your bag.

Also, the Kerouac House.

Dihan
2007-10-28, 07:18 PM
I'll just give my touristy knowledge of Orlando...

Boggy Creek is fun, zoom along a marsh in a hover craft!
Gatorland is boring, but if you like gators feel free to go. They do taste nice though ^_^.
Cape Canaveral is good if there's a launch, we didn't have time to go this year though.
I can't say much about Disney, I didn't go.
Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are great (I love the comic shop in IoA ^_^).
SeaWorld has some clever performances from our furry friends aswell as our watery friends.
Busch Gardens is also a lot of fun, I went on Shei-kra 3 times in a row in the front row - I'm a glutton for punishment! It is in Tampa though.
Food wise, I'll just say that the minestrone soup in the Carrabbas Italian Restaurant was a bit TOO cheesy, and thus ended up on the floor and hour later. Yum.
More on food; the parks generally have expensive restaurants and the food isn't even that amazing.
If you like shopping, then there's a few places to go. We mainly went to two shopping outlets, Premium and Prime outlets. I found that Prime catered for my brother's, his girlfriend's, my mum's, and my own needs it's also newer and it has a Haagen Dazs shop ^_^.
I'm also guessing it will be quite hot around that time of year, I was there for the last fortnight and it reached 100F a few times.

That's just my two pence.

Nightwing
2007-10-28, 07:59 PM
Okay. Universal, Disney, SeaWorld and...Gator Farm? Phoenix, where is this gator farm and how much is it and can I run across the backs of gators like in Pitfall?

Edit. Oh wait, in Pitfall, you swung across them on a rope. Which one was it that you got on a gator's back? Frogger? Either way, I wanna do it.:smallbiggrin:

Well, bond did it in live and let die.

Syka
2007-10-28, 11:11 PM
-NASA as others have said is fun.

-If you must do a park, I suggest Islands of Adventure (or Universal, but Islands of Adventure if you can only do one) over Disney. Then SeaWorld. Then a Disney park. Mainly cause Disney is more for the younger crowd.

-Check out the nature.

-Over in Tampa there is a Dali Museum which is pretty awesome, and in Ybor city (right near Tampa) there is a GREAT Cuban restaurant called the Columbia. Pricey but the food is incredible. Look it up, I think there is one in Orlando too.

-I haven't been to the Orlando Science Center in ages, but it was worth a trip last time around if you like that sort of thing. They had a whole swamp like thing set up on the bottom floor years ago.

-Can't remember anything else. Haven't been in Orlando in ages. But definitely check out the nature. There is some cool stuff.

Cheers,
Syka

Quincunx
2007-10-29, 07:05 AM
Oh yes--the local nerd shop is Sci-Fi City, on Colonial Avenue, east of I-4. It's freaking huge, a supermarket of geeky goodness.

The Bushranger
2007-10-29, 08:53 AM
Orlando Wetlands Park is also well worth a stop, from what I've heard.

Dwarkanath
2007-10-29, 05:21 PM
Oh yes--the local nerd shop is Sci-Fi City, on Colonial Avenue, east of I-4. It's freaking huge, a supermarket of geeky goodness.I'll definitely second this one.

Too bad Enterprise 1701 isn't around any longer :smalleek:.

-- Dave