PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler: Booming Blade vs. Dual Wielding?

Yakmala
2020-06-08, 12:22 PM
I'm starting up a Swashbuckler and have two directions I'm considering.

The first would be a variant Half Elf with the Booming Blade cantrip. The second would be focusing on two weapon fighting and potentially picking up the Dual Wielder feat (possibly at Level 1 as a Variant Human).

On one hand, Booming blade syncs well with the Swashbuckler's ability to disengage freely after attacking via Fancy Footwork. Plus, the damage scales as you level. But the full damage potential only happens if the target decides to move.

On the other hand, two weapon fighting gives another opportunity for the Swashbuckler's sneak attack to land. Few classes benefit more from an extra chance to hit than a rogue. But you are giving up the potential lock-down features of Booming Blade.

Which do you consider the better option?

Davo
2020-06-08, 01:00 PM
There is probably a less than 5% difference in overall dpr if you factor in everything; I seem to recall TWF being better in tier one. I think Booming Blade is more thematic and fun.

MaxWilson
2020-06-08, 01:13 PM
I'm starting up a Swashbuckler and have two directions I'm considering.

The first would be a variant Half Elf with the Booming Blade cantrip. The second would be focusing on two weapon fighting and potentially picking up the Dual Wielder feat (possibly at Level 1 as a Variant Human).

On one hand, Booming blade syncs well with the Swashbuckler's ability to disengage freely after attacking via Fancy Footwork. Plus, the damage scales as you level. But the full damage potential only happens if the target decides to move.

On the other hand, two weapon fighting gives another opportunity for the Swashbuckler's sneak attack to land. Few classes benefit more from an extra chance to hit than a rogue. But you are giving up the potential lock-down features of Booming Blade.

Which do you consider the better option?

High elf, because you don't need Dual Wielder to dual wield when appropriate. Just pick up a couple of short swords and use them whenever kiting isn't possible (e.g. you're dungeoneering in close quarters with a bunch of squishies and you want to tank for them).

Or play a Mobile (vhuman) Arcane Trickster and get Booming Blade that way.

Bloodcloud
2020-06-08, 01:14 PM
If you fight with two short sword, you can attempt a bit of both. Two weapon fight on high ac target, Booming blade on low AC/when you have advantage. The feat does not bring a whole lot of value.

Catullus64
2020-06-08, 01:17 PM
It has always bugged me on a deep level how wonderfully optimal Booming Blade is for Rogues. Why? Because it's a thunderously loud sword-stroke, on the class emphasizing subtlety and silence.

It's particularly great on Swashbucklers/Mobile rogues (which, for me, is all Rogues. Mobile for life) since melee enemies are so much easier to force into taking the secondary damage.

So if the noise doesn't grate on you on a fundamental level like it does for me, go for the Booming Blade, and maybe pray that your DM lets you describe it as humming vibrations rather than an out and out boom. You can always Two-Weapon fight anyway, albeit at a reduced level of effectiveness; the secondary attack should be thought of as more of a way to trigger Fancy Footwork with a little extra damage, rather than a meaningful source of damage in itself.

heavyfuel
2020-06-08, 01:33 PM
The biggest problem with TWF is that it eats your bonus actions. As a Rogue, you have amazing uses for your bonus actions thanks to Cunning Action.

If you're making a decision strictly based on power rather than fluff (and there's nothing wrong with that), I'd defintely go for the Cantrip

Pex
2020-06-08, 01:57 PM
The reason for a rogue to use two weapons is a second chance to get sneak attack. It's nice, but not crucial. I prefer booming blade because as a swashbuckler you'll be kiting. You want to go in, attack with sneak attack, then move away which you get to do without an AoO for free. Booming Blade punishes your opponent for chasing after you on his turn. You have enough things competing for your bonus action.

Misterwhisper
2020-06-08, 02:57 PM
Aereni high elf

Take booming blade as a cantrip.

Booming blade if you have advantage, dual wield when you don’t.

Don’t waste a feat on dual wielder.

I used a short sword and a dagger, throwing the dagger if I needed to.

The number one thing is getting advantage in melee, it is much harder than with ranged attacks.

CTurbo
2020-06-08, 03:28 PM
They both have their pros and cons as mentioned above.

TWF gives you twice as many chances to land your sneak attack which is great. TWF is also optional as in you don't HAVE to use your bonus action to attack if you've landed a big hit with your main attack. That frees up other Cunning Action options. Nothing is worse than having only a single huge attack and missing though. TWF shines here. TWF is not going to do as much damage though. The Dual Wielder feat is not terrible, but consider that in most cases, just maxing Dex is better. Once Dex is maxed, it's decent, and I suppose it's not a terrible use of a starting Vhuman feat.

Booming Blade is great and fits any single attack melee character well, but one thing people tend to forget about is that fact that it is LOUD. It was mentioned above briefly but not really in detail about the fact that there is going to be many many many cases where you are simply not going to want to make a ton of noise when attacking. Constant thunderous booms is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. Any sensible DM is going to play it that way.

So really it depends on your playstyle. Remember Green Flame Blade is not a terrible option either. Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade or Minor Illusion, and Find Familiar is a strong feat for Rogues.

I played a Swashbuckler Rogue that started with a level of Draconic Sorcerer for better than light armor AC of 13+Dex, a bunch of cantrips including both blade cantrips, and a couple of solid spells like Shield, Absorb Elements, and Sleep.

Christew
2020-06-08, 03:44 PM
My Swashbuckler uses Booming Blade (which, by the way, only states that an enemy is "sheathed in booming energy" - it doesn't specify any kind of noise) for his main and has a dagger on hand for when he needs to disengage from two opponents.

Yakmala
2020-06-08, 04:12 PM
These are all great responses, thanks!

I'm leaning towards picking up the Booming Blade cantrip and skipping the Dual Wield feat. But will, as suggested, keep a dagger or another short sword in the off-hand for high AC targets or for when I need to disengage from more than one enemy.

This brings to mind a follow up question... Is there any race/class combo where dual wielding or two weapon fighting in general is the optimal, or at least equally valid solution?

Krobar
2020-06-08, 04:17 PM
Maybe go variant human, take Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, and also dual wield?

Misterwhisper
2020-06-08, 05:17 PM
These are all great responses, thanks!

I'm leaning towards picking up the Booming Blade cantrip and skipping the Dual Wield feat. But will, as suggested, keep a dagger or another short sword in the off-hand for high AC targets or for when I need to disengage from more than one enemy.

This brings to mind a follow up question... Is there any race/class combo where dual wielding or two weapon fighting in general is the optimal, or at least equally valid solution?

As far as race goes, nothing is going to effect your twf.

A race with good stats and an extra skill or two is great.

Aereni High Elf would handle all of it.

You could also look at 1 level of hexblade and go a heavy charisma build.

Gets you booming blade, shield, mage hand, and medium armor if needed.

Could take two levels if you want invocations but not super required.

CTurbo
2020-06-08, 05:51 PM
I like Tabaxi for Swashbucklers. You can double your movement when needed and the stat boosts are purrrrrrfect.

Lunali
2020-06-08, 06:32 PM
Booming Blade is great and fits any single attack melee character well, but one thing people tend to forget about is that fact that it is LOUD. It was mentioned above briefly but not really in detail about the fact that there is going to be many many many cases where you are simply not going to want to make a ton of noise when attacking. Constant thunderous booms is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. Any sensible DM is going to play it that way.

Booming Blade isn't described as being particularly loud, unlike some other spells that are called out as such. That said, if you're trying to be stealthy, calling out your attacks ahead of time is probably not the best idea (BB does have a verbal component). If you're engaged with the rest of your party with you, combat is going to be loud regardless, metal striking metal with full force, cries of pain, etc.

GoodmanDL
2020-06-08, 06:43 PM
With the one counterpoint being... yes, most rogues want to be stealthy. But if your swashbuckler likes to fight with a flashy style... a noisy attack might not seem like a big drawback. Or rather, inasmuch as it's a drawback - it's part of your characterization. "I love being the center of attention, even when it's bad for me"

Mikal
2020-06-08, 08:12 PM
It has always bugged me on a deep level how wonderfully optimal Booming Blade is for Rogues. Why? Because it's a thunderously loud sword-stroke, on the class emphasizing subtlety and silence.

1) no it’s not a thunderously loud sword stroke. It’s thunder damage but not louder than regular battle. If it was it would note that, just like knock and shatter

2) not all rogues emphasize subtlety and silence. The swashbuckler archetype actually eschews that thematically

That all being said, I usually like to go booming blade myself.
Something about hitting someone and hitting them again if they try to move appeals to me. And I can always use TWF if needed.

Nifft
2020-06-08, 08:28 PM
Booming Blade isn't described as being particularly loud, unlike some other spells that are called out as such. That said, if you're trying to be stealthy, calling out your attacks ahead of time is probably not the best idea (BB does have a verbal component). If you're engaged with the rest of your party with you, combat is going to be loud regardless, metal striking metal with full force, cries of pain, etc.

While what you say is absolutely true, it's also true that my rights as a free man allow me to shout, "SURPRISE MOTHERFIGHTER!" each time when using the cantrip.

AttilatheYeon
2020-06-08, 11:26 PM
While what you say is absolutely true, it's also true that my rights as a free man allow me to shout, "SURPRISE MOTHERFIGHTER!" each time when using the cantrip.

I don't know how to "like" a comment here so i'm just gonna quote and respond. Just so you know, i'm now going to roll a dwarf rogue who's catch phrase will be "SURPRISE MOTHERFIGHTER!"

Mr Adventurer
2020-06-09, 04:12 AM
My Swashbuckler uses Booming Blade (which, by the way, only states that an enemy is "sheathed in booming energy" - it doesn't specify any kind of noise)

What's "booming energy"?

Lunali
2020-06-09, 05:35 AM
What's "booming energy"?

I read it as a shell of vibrating air, which would have to be contained by the magic or else it would dissipate.

Pex
2020-06-09, 06:17 AM

The loudness of Booming Blade is directly proportional to how annoyed the DM is that you cast it.