PDA

View Full Version : A Dungeons & Dragons Sitcom: The Dragon Deities Family

Bartmanhomer
2020-06-08, 09:03 PM
I just thought of a good TV sitcom for D&D: The Dragon Deities Family. It's about a single dragon deity father (Io) take care of his 11 dragon kids (Bahamut, Tiamat, Lendys, Tamara, Faluzure, Astilabor, Chronepsis, Sardior, Hlal, Garyx, Aasterinian) in the plane of Outlands. His dragon children always get into hijinks and get in trouble. I think it makes a good TV sitcom for D&D fans. So what do you think? :smile:

Anonymouswizard
2020-06-09, 10:30 AM
Sigh, I'm getting a sense of Deja Vu.

There's a fantasy sitcom I rather like, called Elvenquest. It was broadcast on BBC Radio 4, and used it's lack of visuals to depict wondrous locations they'd never be able to afford to show via ambient sound. The main plot of the first series (I've not listened to the others yet), plays out like your standard fantasy quest: there is a goal (the Sword of Asnagar), which will allow an evil (Lord Darkness) to be defeated, and a party (two elves, a Dwarf, and a human and his dog from Earth). Each episode they travel to another location which parodies an element from fantasy literature or ancient myth, but mostly serves to develop the characters' personalities.

The series works due to playing straight and subverting elements of the fantasy genre (a key element is that the chosen one is the main character's dog, given human form in the fantasy world).

The problem with your idea is that it's 'a D&D based family sitcom', with nothing about it's premise setting it apart other than 'dragons'. And if I want to watch a family sitcom I can just watch a family sitcom.

You seem to have fallen into the trap of 'likes D&D=will like anything based on D&D', but just because I like D&D and Outnumbered there isn't a good reason to think that I'll like D&D Outnumbered (I mean, the premises are just so different, although I could stomach an episode of Outnumbered where they play D&D).

Bartmanhomer
2020-06-09, 11:43 AM
Sigh, I'm getting a sense of Deja Vu.

There's a fantasy sitcom I rather like, called Elvenquest. It was broadcast on BBC Radio 4, and used it's lack of visuals to depict wondrous locations they'd never be able to afford to show via ambient sound. The main plot of the first series (I've not listened to the others yet), plays out like your standard fantasy quest: there is a goal (the Sword of Asnagar), which will allow an evil (Lord Darkness) to be defeated, and a party (two elves, a Dwarf, and a human and his dog from Earth). Each episode they travel to another location which parodies an element from fantasy literature or ancient myth, but mostly serves to develop the characters' personalities.

The series works due to playing straight and subverting elements of the fantasy genre (a key element is that the chosen one is the main character's dog, given human form in the fantasy world).

The problem with your idea is that it's 'a D&D based family sitcom', with nothing about it's premise setting it apart other than 'dragons'. And if I want to watch a family sitcom I can just watch a family sitcom.

You seem to have fallen into the trap of 'likes D&D=will like anything based on D&D', but just because I like D&D and Outnumbered there isn't a good reason to think that I'll like D&D Outnumbered (I mean, the premises are just so different, although I could stomach an episode of Outnumbered where they play D&D).

Oh really? D'oh! :mad: