PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help optimizing a Bard/Paladin one handed duelist build

CDPhenix
2020-06-09, 02:33 AM
Hey all I'm working on a build for an upcoming campaign and I wanted some tips on it. The current setup is an eladrin elf swords bard with a 2 level dip into paladin using a rapier and nothing else. Our dm is letting us take a feat at first level and I'm partiall thinking defensive duelist although I've heard that feat is not the best. Other ideas I've had are taking the martial adept feat, a possible dip into fighter, or going duel wielding and using a dagger in my offhand (as was a thing in the middle ages). What recommendations would you guys give me?

Any input on this is appreciated :)

DevilMcam
2020-06-09, 04:41 AM
Although I think (personnal option there, feel free to disagree) it's cheesy, if you want to DIP your Bardadin the dip has to be hexblade, it gives you SADness, the shield spell and the curse. more than anything a fighter dip could give.

as an elf I don't really see a world where elven accurcy is a bad thing either.
warcaster and magic intiate for booming blade oportunity attacks are a thing as well if SCAG is on the table.

I think even if you go rapier You are better using STR as your main physical score. if you start paladin you can get heavy armor proficiency and rely on strength for defense even better that if going dex.
and you get access to using your free hand to graple or shove things with your high STR and expertise in athletics.

Rolero
2020-06-09, 05:16 AM
You are in the right path with Swords Bard and Paladin dip.

Now, I would not get Defensive Duelist as you will get Defensive Flourish later on, which already covers AC improvement.

Resilient Con or Warcaster would be better choices, as it will help you to keep concentration of buff and debuffs you cast as well as grant you proficiency in one of the most important saves.

Elven Accuracy is another good option. Can help you round up one of your main stats and give you extra advantage on attacks, which is nice when you are crit fishing to smite.

Finally, if you want to cheese this out, and you DM is ok with it, 1 or 2 levels in Warlock Hexblade massively improves this build.
If you go this route, get your first level in warlock, switch to bard till you get extra attack, get your 2 levels of paladin to smite, and then, whatever you like.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-06-09, 05:10 PM
warcaster and magic intiate for booming blade oportunity attacks are a thing as well if SCAG is on the table.

I think one of the half-elf variants can start with a cantrip (Booming Blade), and saves you a feat if that's all you want.