PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Subclass: Oath of the Hero [PEACH]

Icecaster
2020-06-09, 01:14 PM
Howdy! What I have here is a subclass I made a while ago that I've been fiddling with. I've always thought heroes in general are really cool, so making a paladin subclass seemed like a natural step. I like the concept and have a clear idea in my mind of how I want the subclass to play in combat and roleplay, but I'm not sure that the mechanics are turning out how I want them to. Eventually, I figured I should just ask for some help. That's where you come in!

Specifically, my biggest concern is the Legendary Blows feature. With the exception of Oath of Conquest and Oath of Vengeance, all of the 15th level paladin features are strictly defensive passives. I really like the idea, but I'm worried that it strays too far from the intended balance progression, or - more generally - that the subclass should steer away from adding fuel to the fire of paladin's burst damage. I've toyed with concepts of features like a "Hero's Resolve" or something, or perhaps reducing the damage to just 1d8, but I always come back to the idea that Legendary Blows is cool, and a central point of Symbol of Peace.

Aside from those, I'm happy to hear any other constructive criticisms/advice/suggestions that you have regarding the subclass. Thanks for reading! :smallbiggrin:

Google doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DYSMTDd4MaxmmlZgoYU7dkkN7pPMqg3LVyEKlVnJsYg/edit?usp=sharing)

PDF file (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iIZWN_1jsoxJ_tjoKrEJsvsGFhkOXi-q/view?usp=sharing)

Oath of the Hero
To take the oath of the hero is to swear protection for all. Paladins who take the oath of the hero take on an immense duty, and few are willing to take the oath. The selflessness and will required to be the true hero that this oath demands is only possessed by a miniscule few. Those that do swear the oath of the hero, however, sometimes called gold knights, are revered as saviors. Few paladins who take this oath reach the heights of a true hero because of its demands, but those that do have been remembered since the dawn of time and will be remembered until the world takes its last, dying breath.

Tenets of the Hero

Strength. A hero must be strong in arms so that they can defeat any evil that arises against them or their charges.

Bravery. A hero must be strong in heart as well. As a hero, you must never falter or fail to act. You must be the one to stand when all others fall.

Protection. A hero’s goal is to protect and save others from evil. You must protect everybody, no matter their background or race. Be their shield.

Always Answer the Call. A hero must always answer when called for. Never ignore the call, whether it be a summons from a king or a cry from a child. When somebody calls for a hero, they call for you.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of the Hero Spells
3rd level: compelled duel, heroism
5th level: aid, enhance ability
9th level: beacon of hope, crusader’s mantle
13th level: aura of purity, death ward
17th level: destructive wave, steel wind strike

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Hero’s Call. As a reaction to a friendly creature within 60 feet of you, besides yourself, taking damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to end any effects on yourself causing you to be charmed, frightened, poisoned, or stunned. Additionally, you gain temporary hit points equal to your paladin level plus your Charisma modifier.

Legendary Strength. As an action using your Channel Divinity, you can increase your strength for the next minute. During this time, you have a +5 bonus to all Strength checks you make, and your jump distances and heights double.

Aura of Heroism
Beginning at 7th level, your legacy of heroics inspires those around you to fight for your ideals. All allies within 10 feet of you can add your Charisma modifier to their damage rolls.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Legendary Blows
Starting at 15th level, whenever you use your Divine Smite feature to augment an attack, you can choose to make the blow legendary. You can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier, regaining all uses upon completing a long rest. Making a blow legendary imparts the following effects:

The attack deals an additional 2d8 bludgeoning damage

The target must make a Strength saving throw against your paladin spell save DC, being knocked back 30 feet on a failure and 15 feet on a success. Scoring a critical hit doubles the distance

Symbol of Peace
At 20th level, you have attained the ultimate legacy and heroism. Criminals and evil-doers tremble at the sound of your name. As an action, you can begin channeling your legacy, the legacy of a true hero. You can use this feature once, regaining its use upon completing a long rest. While channeling your legacy, you gain the following benefits:

All of your blows are legendary whether or not you choose to augment your attacks with Divine Smite. While this feature is active, you do not consume uses of Legendary Blows
Directly after making an attack, you can immediately move up to your movement speed without provoking opportunity attacks

nickl_2000
2020-06-09, 01:34 PM
You have some significant balance issues here.

Aura of Heroism - This is flat out broken. Giving someone a +5 to their attack breaks bounded accuracy badle and would make you hit with GWM most hits. You need to toss this ability and come up with something else.

Symbol of Peace - 30 strength is pretty broken to. You are giving your PC a minimum +5 to hit and +5 damage on every attack. Between this and the Aura you would have a minimum attack roll of +12 and an average attack roll of +21, which doesn't work. This need to be serious tamed down as well.

Compared to these, the other abilities are okay. 15 may be a little overpowered, but you have it limited in the amount of times per day so it is likely okay.

JNAProductions
2020-06-09, 01:48 PM
Spell list looks fine.

Hero's Call is pretty strong, but not broken.
Legendary Strength should be advantage, not +5.

Aura of Heroism is, as mentioned above, flat-out broken.

Legendary Blows doesn't feel bad.

Symbol Of Peace is too good, even for a Paladin Capstone.
+5 to-hit and damage, generally, an extra 2d8 on every attack, with knockback, and an extra 60' of movement every turn is REALLY powerful.

So yeah. This needs to be toned back. A lot.

Icecaster
2020-06-09, 02:39 PM
You have some significant balance issues here.

Aura of Heroism - This is flat out broken. Giving someone a +5 to their attack breaks bounded accuracy badle and would make you hit with GWM most hits. You need to toss this ability and come up with something else.

Symbol of Peace - 30 strength is pretty broken to. You are giving your PC a minimum +5 to hit and +5 damage on every attack. Between this and the Aura you would have a minimum attack roll of +12 and an average attack roll of +21, which doesn't work. This need to be serious tamed down as well.

Compared to these, the other abilities are okay. 15 may be a little overpowered, but you have it limited in the amount of times per day so it is likely okay.

Thanks for the response! :)

Aura of Heroism
Hmm, I was a little worried about the aura. I figured it was about on par with aura of protection, but based on the reaction I'd say my initial instinct was right; I'll toss it. I definitely hadn't thought of the interaction with GWM since I don't allow it at my table (and it hasn't been allowed by most of my DMs lol), but that's definitely a serious issue for applying this to others' games. I'll definitely look into other options, although right now I'm leaning towards keeping the majority of the text but switching to a damage bonus like Aura of Hate. That way it retains the offensive leader sentiment without cracking the skull of poor bounded accuracy. Open to suggestions, though.

Symbol of Peace
Darn, I was hoping the 30 Strength would make it to the final draft, but the logic checks out. I'll brainstorm some alternate, smaller buffs to replace the 30 Strength. I think for now I'll change the Legendary Blows buff to apply to all attacks instead of just the ones using Divine Smite, leave the movement speed to compensate for the repeated knockback, and call it a day. Legendary Blows on everything is probably capstone-worthy in and of itself. Edits will be up in just a moment, thanks again for the detailed feedback!