PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shifter Spider Subrace Abilities?

werescythe
2020-06-09, 10:09 PM
So I recently had this bizarre idea of trying to create a subrace for shifters that allows them to take on a spider like nature (for a setting I am working on).

While I had a few ideas, I wanted to check and see if I could receive some feedback on it (tried uses Giant Spider stats for inspiration, while trying to avoid copying stats that the other subraces possess, like ability increases).

Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity
Naturally Shifty: You have proficiency in the Stealth Skill.
Shifting Feature: Hear is where I need some advice. Should I give the player a spiderclimbing speed/ability (perhaps combine it with web walker)? Should I give them an ability similar to the Giant Spider's web ability?

Any ideas/feedback would be welcome.

Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I've also been wondering if maybe it would be better to give them perception instead of stealth (because of spiders having eight eyes). What do you think?

Garfunion
2020-06-09, 11:06 PM
I would simply say when they are shifted they gain a climb speed equal to their speed and may use a bonus action to spread sticky webs 5 feet around them centered on them causing difficult terrain. The shifter is unhindered by these webs and the webs last as long as they remain shifted.

Although you may want to re-word what I said in the correct format.

werescythe
2020-06-09, 11:19 PM
I would simply say when they are shifted they gain a climb speed equal to their speed and may use a bonus action to spread sticky webs 5 feet around them centered on them causing difficult terrain. The shifter is unhindered by these webs and the webs last as long as they remain shifted.

Although you may want to re-word what I said in the correct format.

That actually does sound pretty good. I am curious why you chose 5ft and not 10ft, but that's just me. *Rereads and thinks further on it.* Actually that makes sense. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also do you think that Stealth is okay or would it perhaps be more fitting to have it be Perception instead (because of spiders have eight eyes)?

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-10, 12:04 AM
While shifting you gain a climb speed equal to your speed and can move up walls and across ceilings without difficulty. Additionally, you gain the Webwalker Trait and are unhindered by areas of webs, allowing you to move freely through them. Once during your Shifting you can use your action extrude sticky webbing in a 15 foot cube centered around your self. These areas of webbing count as difficult terrain. The webbing can be burned away using a torch or other open flame at a speed of 5 feet per round. A creature in the webbing when it is cleared with fire suffers 1d4 fire damage as the strands around them ignite.

Garfunion
2020-06-10, 12:51 AM
Ok after reviewing the wording on the shifter race, here is what I have for you.

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity and intelligence scores increase by 1.
Shifting Feature: While shifted, you gain a climbing speed equal to your speed and are unhindered by difficult terrain. Additionally while shifted, you may use your bonus action to spread a layer of web 5ft around you centered on you. These webs cause the area to become difficult terrain and last as long as you are shifted.

Climbing speed is not spider climb. There need to be some limitations to the ability. They can basically climb any vertical surface without having to roll an athletics check (unless the surface specifically hinders such ability). This is the same as the climbing speed in the monster manual although some creatures may get additional bonuses.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-10, 10:46 AM
Ok after reviewing the wording on the shifter race, here is what I have for you.

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity and intelligence scores increase by 1.
Shifting Feature: While shifted, you gain a climbing speed equal to your speed and are unhindered by difficult terrain. Additionally while shifted, you may use your bonus action to spread a layer of web 5ft around you centered on you. These webs cause the area to become difficult terrain and last as long as you are shifted.

Climbing speed is not spider climb. There need to be some limitations to the ability. They can basically climb any vertical surface without having to roll an athletics check (unless the surface specifically hinders such ability). This is the same as the climbing speed in the monster manual although some creatures may get additional bonuses.

As something that lasts a minute, is there a reason the climb can’t be spiderclimb and webwalk?

Tabaxi get more than the above and it’s always on.

Garfunion
2020-06-10, 11:40 AM
As something that lasts a minute, is there a reason the climb can’t be spiderclimb and webwalk?

Tabaxi get more than the above and it’s always on.

I provided a way for them to ignore difficult terrain and produce difficult terrain. Plus temporary hit points is built into the base feature. Which they can use after every short/long rest.

I always felt “web-walk” is a weird concept when most spiders cannot walk on other spiders species’ webs.
As for the ability to walk on the ceiling, I would assume that when they shift they are not getting extra limbs (because they are not weres). This mean they will still need their hands to climb.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-10, 03:58 PM
I provided a way for them to ignore difficult terrain and produce difficult terrain. Plus temporary hit points is built into the base feature. Which they can use after every short/long rest.

I always felt “web-walk” is a weird concept when most spiders cannot walk on other spiders species’ webs.
As for the ability to walk on the ceiling, I would assume that when they shift they are not getting extra limbs (because they are not weres). This mean they will still need their hands to climb.

It’s dealers choice with this but my impression of web walk was that it didn’t matter what kind of excessively Thin rope you had, a spider can run up and down its length.

As for more limbs or not, if you can manifest claws or have your jaws become a snout suitable for combat biting, extra legs doesn’t seem like a step too far.

The temporary hitpoints are basically a ribbon. Compare to dwarf as a baseline and shifters are pretty sad. Wizards has a habit of making “classic” tropey stuff better to encourage playing the “traditional” party or choosing “iconic” stuff.

But that’s my feeling on it, I generally balance against what should the race do, Spider equals 1 minute of Spider stuff/rest, and a spider that struggles to walk across the ceiling seems too weak to me. But again, dealers/DMs choice.