PDA

View Full Version : Does spending ASIs on skill feats make the fighter competitive with other classes?

eunwoler
2020-06-09, 10:45 PM
In terms of overall performance. Lets say we measure this at 2 points - level 8 when the Fighter has 3 ASIs to most others 2, and at 19 with 7 ASIs to others 5.

So if you spend those 1 or 2 ASIs on Skilled, Prodigy, Unearthed Arcana skill feats or any other feat that gives you significant perks outside of combat,

a) does the Fighter compare to other averagely built classes in utility?

b) is the Fighter still faring well in fights having 1 or 2 less ASIs or combat feats?

Considering the level 7 OOC utility that most Fighter subclasses get, how big is the gap really if you spend the ASI not on combat feats?

CTurbo
2020-06-10, 02:16 AM
Yes I believe so. That's why I LOVE Ritual Caster for Fighters and to a lesser degree, Magic Initiate. Skilled and Res(Wis) are also great feats for Fighters.

It seems that most people particularly on here are only concerned with making the Fighter more fightery so they only care about more combat feats.

Jerrykhor
2020-06-10, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't see having more skill proficiencies as attractive, its just numbers. Once you are proficient in the more often used skills, the other skills are mostly a matter of rolling high anyway. In the end, you will still never be as good as Bards or Rogues in terms of utility.

I'd rather take feats that give unique abilities, such as Actor or Inspiring Leader.

eunwoler
2020-06-10, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't see having more skill proficiencies as attractive, its just numbers. Once you are proficient in the more often used skills, the other skills are mostly a matter of rolling high anyway. In the end, you will still never be as good as Bards or Rogues in terms of utility.

I'd rather take feats that give unique abilities, such as Actor or Inspiring Leader.

I agree. All the UA skill feats were designed with this in mind though and give unique perks that you can't get elsewhere on top of Expertise for the chosen skill which I think is more satisfying and makes you more individually invaluable

Do you think the 2 ASI difference if spent on out of combat feats, in conjunction with the level 7 feat, bridges the gap well?

Yes I believe so. That's why I LOVE Ritual Caster for Fighters and to a lesser degree, Magic Initiate. Skilled and Res(Wis) are also great feats for Fighters.

It seems that most people particularly on here are only concerned with making the Fighter more fightery so they only care about more combat feats.

I definitely agree. The Fighter has a very flexible design, that its base chassis is already great at combat doesn't mean there's a need to be boxed into a DPR role.

Kane0
2020-06-10, 04:20 AM
I wouldn't see having more skill proficiencies as attractive, its just numbers.

Indeed. Its generally a good idea to try and expand what you’re capable of rather than chase numbers (although depending on the game staying on that treadmill can be very important) especially if you’re limited to begin with like a fighter or barbarian.