PDA

View Full Version : Magical Ring Question

Doc_Pippin
2020-06-09, 11:17 PM
So quick question about a little known jewel called the Ring of Exploration (read as expensive Improved Ring of Sustenance) from the WotC, for those unfamiliar I have added the text below... My question is what actual effects does this thing have on diseases and poisons? It mentions how its anti-disease and anti-toxic are the main draw of the item but it doesn't actually say it makes the wearer resistant or immune to either and it does not require any spells that would give any protection from either.

Ring of Exploration: This plain bronze ring is highly valued by anyone who explores the far corners of the world, but they are especially useful for those who seek to penetrate jungle interiors since they protect from disease and poison as well as solve the problem of passing through dense undergrowth.

The wearer of a ring of exploration remains at a comfortable temperature during the most extreme weather conditions, as if he had endure elements cast on her (negating 5 points of cold and fire damage per round).
The ring also continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment exactly as does a ring of sustenance.

The ring grants the woodland stride ability to its wearer, allowing the wearer to pass through natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain (as long as it's not magically manipulated) at her normal speed without suffering damage or other impairment.

Finally, the wearer constantly knows what direction north lies in and can unerringly retrace her steps back to the exact point at which she last put on the ring, with no chance of becoming lost.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Forge Ring, create food and water, endure elements, freedom of movement, know direction; 41,000 gp

tyckspoon
2020-06-09, 11:28 PM
.. well, not having to eat or drink when you're in places where you don't know what's safe to eat and can't trust the water supply is one way to avoid getting poisoned or diseased, I guess? And you can bypass potentially venomous plant thorns and spines and whatnot..? Yeah, that's a stretch. Pretty sure somebody just forgot to either include the effect in the mechanical writeup, or remove it from the description after they decided to take it out of the explicit mechanical benefits.

Where was it printed? Possible it was errata'd to correct it one way or the other?

Doc_Pippin
2020-06-09, 11:33 PM
It was one of the Far Corners of the World online posts

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030627a

.. well, not having to eat or drink when you're in places where you don't know what's safe to eat and can't trust the water supply is one way to avoid getting poisoned or diseased, I guess? And you can bypass potentially venomous plant thorns and spines and whatnot..? Yeah, that's a stretch. Pretty sure somebody just forgot to either include the effect in the mechanical writeup, or remove it from the description after they decided to take it out of the explicit mechanical benefits.

Where was it printed? Possible it was errata'd to correct it one way or the other?

Biggus
2020-06-11, 12:30 AM
Given that it costs 41,000GPs and none of the other abilities it gives you are worth much, I think it's likely that it makes you immune to disease and poison.