PDA

View Full Version : Do alchemist elixers stack?

moonfly7
2020-06-10, 09:21 AM
It's common knowledge that you can't drink, say, a potion of flying and get double the flying speed, but that's because it's replicating a spell and you can't benefit from 2 of the same spell effects at once unless otherwise specified.
But alchemist elixers are both not potions and not spells for the most part. And looking through the whole book their isn't a single spot where it says you can't benefit from multiple of the same elixer at once. So does that mean that you can drink multiple flight elixers to boost your speed? Multiple boldness potions to stack to ridiculous heights?
Arguably, considering that the artificer sacrifices a precious spell slot for more potions, I'd wager that the answers yes, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

nickl_2000
2020-06-10, 09:26 AM
Not sure what the RAW is, but my opinion is that you can have multiple different boosts running at once (as in +1 AC and walking speed +10). However, you can't have two instances of the same boost (i.e. you can't have +20 to waling speed).

Dork_Forge
2020-06-10, 09:35 AM
You can only benefit from something with the same name once, so regardless if it is a spell, feature or potion only one instance at a time. This also fails on another level though, the Elixir gives the person a set speed, not an increase in speed.

nickl_2000
2020-06-10, 09:48 AM
You can only benefit from something with the same name once, so regardless if it is a spell, feature or potion only one instance at a time. This also fails on another level though, the Elixir gives the person a set speed, not an increase in speed.

For flight speed, but a lot of others aren't phrased that way.

Swiftness. The drinker’s walking speed increases by 10 feet for 1 hour.
Resilience. The drinker gains a +1 bonus to AC for 10 minutes.
Boldness. The drinker can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to every attack roll and saving throw they make for the next minute.

All of these would stack if you could stand it.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-10, 09:53 AM
For flight speed, but a lot of others aren't phrased that way.

Swiftness. The drinker’s walking speed increases by 10 feet for 1 hour.
Resilience. The drinker gains a +1 bonus to AC for 10 minutes.
Boldness. The drinker can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to every attack roll and saving throw they make for the next minute.

All of these would stack if you could stand it.

Oh definitely, the flight example just stuck out in my mind, all of the others are just covered by being the same proper name.

moonfly7
2020-06-10, 10:13 AM
You can only benefit from something with the same name once, so regardless if it is a spell, feature or potion only one instance at a time.

Do you have a citation in a book for this rule? I've seen it listed individually on certain features, and listed in spells, but never seen it listed universally like this.

Lavaeolus
2020-06-10, 10:32 AM
Do you have a citation in a book for this rule? I've seen it listed individually on certain features, and listed in spells, but never seen it listed universally like this.

There's the following bit, which was errata'd (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/DMG-Errata.pdf) into the DMG:

Combining Game Effects (p. 252). Different game features can affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap. For example, if a target is ignited by a fire elemental’s Fire Form trait, the ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase if the burning target is subjected to that trait again. Game features include spells, class features, feats, racial traits, monster abilities, and magic items. See the related rule in the “Combining Magical Effects” section of chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.

Emphasis mine. I can't remember if there's any other bits that directly address this in the PHB or DMG. (The "Combining Magical Effects" rule does limit itself to talking about spells and spells only.)

Does this apply to Elixirs? Well, the list isn't necessarily exhaustive -- but I imagine the intent is that Alchemist's elixirs fall under 'magic items', or maybe 'class features'. Of course, while all potions listed in the PHB or DMG are magic items, the subclass doesn't explicitly say the elixirs are. I'd probably rule them to be magic items, and I don't know if this actually affects the question in this thread, but there might be some other shenanigans if the DM rules otherwise.

moonfly7
2020-06-10, 12:00 PM
There's the following bit, which was errata'd (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/DMG-Errata.pdf) into the DMG:

Emphasis mine. I can't remember if there's any other bits that directly address this in the PHB or DMG. (The "Combining Magical Effects" rule does limit itself to talking about spells and spells only.)

Does this apply to Elixirs? Well, the list isn't necessarily exhaustive -- but I imagine the intent is that Alchemist's elixirs fall under 'magic items', or maybe 'class features'. Of course, while all potions listed in the PHB or DMG are magic items, the subclass doesn't explicitly say the elixirs are. I'd probably rule them to be magic items, and I don't know if this actually affects the question in this thread, but there might be some other shenanigans if the DM rules otherwise.

Never seen that before. But I don't have the most recent errata so that makes sense.
By DM fiat, I am the DM. So I'm willing to let them do some shenanigans considering they are using their spell slots so long as they don't abuse it.

Maelynn
2020-06-10, 12:06 PM
By DM fiat, I am the DM. So I'm willing to let them do some shenanigans considering they are using their spell slots so long as they don't abuse it.

Do take a look at the Variant: Mixing Potions option described on p140 of the DMG. I keep it handy for the Alchemist in my party, just in case he ever decides to experiment.

JackPhoenix
2020-06-10, 04:41 PM
Never seen that before. But I don't have the most recent errata so that makes sense.

It's actually the very first DMG errata released. If it's not in your book, you have 1st printing.