PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a ridiculous build.

DevilMcam
2020-06-11, 02:38 AM
Hi Playground.

In my one of my Current Campaign (Avernus, but it doesn't matter it is heavily homebrewed) there is a fairly high chance of us encountering heavy casualties in our upcomming battles And I would like to prepare a backup character.

Material availlable: PHB, XGtE, Eberon sourcebook (don't remember the name), and possibly wildmount. note : SCAG is not availlable so any build based on bladesinger or bladecantrips is out.

The party : we are level 7 but we can assume we'll get to level 8 after the deadly fightso let's use level 8 as a basis.
A grave cleric
A lore bard, main trick is dissonant whisper (but often saved, because devils....) has pulse wave (egtw) and find steed as lvl 6 magical secred. lvl 4 spell pick is confusion
A Celestial warlock, mainly use eldritch blast and cure wounds, lvl 4 spell pick was wall of fire
An arcane trickster rogue that doesn't get enabled a lot
A SnB Battlemaster fighter That has rally, riposte and goading attack. I believe he multiclassed out of fighter to something he never used yet as he still only has 4 sueriority dice
Me : a kensei monk.

Most of the rules are raw but we can use spells gained from race or feats with spell slots as well.
Stats will be rolled, so may be great, may be OK, unlikely to be bad
we do get some magic items but they are not fixed per avernus text (if there is any) so let's not expect anything particular.
Also we use flanking, i don't like it but it's on the table so this has to be kept in mind.

I'd like a spellcaster that is not really fragile and can at least be ok in melee. I think our team could use a bit more buffing, I'd like a bit of ridiculous shenanigans (but just a bit, our group is big, there is no need to hog the spotlight). The build needs to be online from level 8.
I'd also like to avoid picking something that plays similarly to what an other player is playing. The group doesn't need another cleric that is worse at beeing a cleric, and i don't wnt to be a cleric that is a better cleric than the cleric (I picked cleric because I needed one, there is nothing wrong with our cleric)

My current ideas are :
- Artificer : looks fun to get themagic infusions, but I haven't seen any ridiculous combo that made me say 'I so wanna play that'
- Sorlock (3w/Xs) : no coffelocking just picking the goodies from warlock (armor, pact and a few slots/spells)
- Sorcadin (2p/Xs) : more versatility because of the extra spell known by paladin, more impact (smite and higher spells) than sorlock, but less durable
- Bardadin (2p, Xb) : going Sword bard, maybe picking magic initiate for shield.
- fighter/wizard?
- straight Bladelock ?

we could probably use a paladin's aura of protection but I don't have any build that makes use of one

CTurbo
2020-06-11, 02:56 AM
I would go straight Conquest Paladin. Fallen Aasimar if your rolled stats aren't great or choose something off the wall like Gnome or Lizardfolk if you get a good spread and want "ridiculous"

DevilMcam
2020-06-11, 02:59 AM
I'm already playing a Conquest paladin (Protector aasimar) in another game and I'd like to avoid playing a character that is too similar.
My protector aasimar is spelcasting basted so I could go for a weapon based one this time but it doesn't quite make the cut.

I should probably have mentionned it before though.

Edit : I think I found what I was looking for.

A wizardy charcter that botched a bargain for immortality. His soul now controling the body of a warforged.
He is perpetually amazed by the lingering capability of the body tha he didn't have, and complains that he spells out protocols in a robotic voice and can't eat strawberries anymore.
Mechanically beeing a warlock 5-SorcererX

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-11, 12:01 PM
Darn.

I've always liked the idea of an old man Monk with fairly low Dexterity. Long Death with Land Druid levels, uses Shilellagh, Misty Step + Mirror Image, high-powered Stunning Strikes, lots of THP from stacking Wisdom.
But also very old, so only a +1 Dex for his Unarmed Strikes. His goal is to find the means of immortality to continue his life of becoming the strongest being.

DevilMcam
2020-06-11, 12:32 PM
My current character is a monk so monk is sorta out as well.

I think what I will be going for is
race : warforged
warlock 5 (hexblade).
Pact of the blade, with thirsting blade, eldritch smite and improved pact weapon
Spells :
1st lvl : Hex, armor of agathis, Shield
2nd lvl : misty step, invisibility
3rd lvl : Fly
Then Sorcerer
Spells :
1st level : absorb elements, protection from evil and good (guiding bold?)
2nd level : warding wind, enlarge/reduce, (aid?)

then at later levels I could get haste, greater invisibility, polymorph and animate objetcs.

For meta magic Quickien is an obvious pick. what do you think I should get as my other metamagic?
Should I go divine soul to nab a few amazing cleric spells or wild magic for tide of chaos ? (then I could as well "dump" charisma and focus on Strength for the grapling shenaningans)

ThatoneGuy84
2020-06-13, 12:51 PM
My current character is a monk so monk is sorta out as well.

I think what I will be going for is
race : warforged
warlock 5 (hexblade).
Pact of the blade, with thirsting blade, eldritch smite and improved pact weapon
Spells :
1st lvl : Hex, armor of agathis, Shield
2nd lvl : misty step, invisibility
3rd lvl : Fly
Then Sorcerer
Spells :
1st level : absorb elements, protection from evil and good (guiding bold?)
2nd level : warding wind, enlarge/reduce, (aid?)

then at later levels I could get haste, greater invisibility, polymorph and animate objetcs.

For meta magic Quickien is an obvious pick. what do you think I should get as my other metamagic?
Should I go divine soul to nab a few amazing cleric spells or wild magic for tide of chaos ? (then I could as well "dump" charisma and focus on Strength for the grapling shenaningans)

Quicken yes.
Twin yes (if your hastings yourself you might aswell haste a friend)
Build looks good, and fun.

Enderasha
2020-06-13, 01:29 PM
I’m about to try a build inspired by Treantmonk that I’ve liked. It’s not super optimal but it’s not terrible, you’ll be better at level 9 when you get there.

Sverfneblin Hexblade 1/Abjuration Wizard X
Take Sverfneblin Magic at level 5 for infinite ward, medium armor, armor of Agathys and obviously the hexblade curse/magic missle shenanigans. Drawback is Int 17 for another level until 9

Could also just do Vuman Hexblade 2/Wizard 6 to start and get infinite shield through invocations. This has slower spell progression but gains some invocation utility and the vuman feat for Warcaster allowing you to get Int 18 from your level 6 ASI