PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan Help

Avonar
2020-06-11, 09:32 AM
I'm going to be running the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, from Tales from the Yawning Portal, and I was hoping that someone who's run it before would be able to help. The adventure says that it should take the party from level 5-8, but looking at it the dungeon is mostly traps with a handful of creatures. I cannot see how there's enough EXP to get the part to level 7, let alone 8.

Can anyone help with this? Is there something I'm missing, or are there other methods that you have used to give out EXP?

Foxhound438
2020-06-11, 11:17 AM
I'm going to be running the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, from Tales from the Yawning Portal, and I was hoping that someone who's run it before would be able to help. The adventure says that it should take the party from level 5-8, but looking at it the dungeon is mostly traps with a handful of creatures. I cannot see how there's enough EXP to get the part to level 7, let alone 8.

Can anyone help with this? Is there something I'm missing, or are there other methods that you have used to give out EXP?

I ran it on milestones, just because it's less tracking of numbers for that. Otherwise, you should be granting some non-combat exp if you're using exp, like give some exp for solving a puzzle or getting past a trap. I don't know off hand how much it would need to be, but that's probably the best path.

Mjolnirbear
2020-06-11, 03:36 PM
Some of those fights are strong. Especially the oni and the roper (and possibly the were jaguar)

Note that the trap-curses are *insane*. Like sleep for 1000 years.

But regardless I'd do milestones anyways. It's just easiest.

NaughtyTiger
2020-06-11, 04:38 PM
I ran it in Adventurers League. AL admitted that it would only bump PCs 1 level.