PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming a Barbarian/Rogue combo for my next AL character.

prototype00
2020-06-11, 12:19 PM
So I've seen some fun things about the Barbarian/Rogue, so I thought I'd give it a try in it's incarnation as a tanky front line for the party with Sentinel that really makes the enemy have to make unfortunate choices (do I hit the barbarian for 1/4 damage or get sneak attacked twice in one round?)

So I had a couple of questions to humbly draw upon the collected expertise in this forum:

1. Level breakdown: I'm currently leaning to go straight 5 barbarian (for extra attack) and then Rogue X (for damage), any reason to adjust the ratio?

2. Subclasses: Barb side I'm heavily leaning to Totem Barb to make full use of the tanking there. For the Rogue side though, a bit less decided. I've seen good things said about Swashbuckler, Scout and Thief, leaning Scout for the moment, but can be persuaded otherwise. Mastermind is a bit of an interesting wild-card.

3. To shield master or not to shield master? As said above Sentinel is something I'm pretty keen on, but Shield Master I'm slightly more ambivalent about, especially since Rogues already get evasion. It used to be pretty good before the nerf for locking down foes, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

Anyway, thank you for any advice you might have. I probably should mention that I can get a Belt of Hill Giant Strength first thing lvl 5, so I have a bit of leeway when it comes to stats (might just max Con/Dex, TBH).

prototype00

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-11, 02:26 PM
You're going to get very redundant with Rage halving damage all damage with Evasion.

Using Evasion to block 10 damage is worthwhile. 5? Probably not. It's good to have a reason to use Evasion, but that honestly means that you should leave a few weaknesses open on your Rage for you to mitigate. That way, you can get features that synergize with Evasion, rather than be redundant with it.

For that reason, I'd recommend actually not going Totem but instead going Battlerager, as you'll gain bonuses for grapping and THP for using Reckless Attack (which you will, often).

As far as Rogue subclasses go, I'd strongly recommend Scout. Grab someone and just start booking it each turn. Drag them directly into the middle of your team to pound on while they're Prone.

prototype00
2020-06-11, 08:50 PM
You're going to get very redundant with Rage halving damage all damage with Evasion.

Using Evasion to block 10 damage is worthwhile. 5? Probably not. It's good to have a reason to use Evasion, but that honestly means that you should leave a few weaknesses open on your Rage for you to mitigate. That way, you can get features that synergize with Evasion, rather than be redundant with it.

Hmm, I’m just planning long term where at T3 there are attacks all the time where you wish you could take 1/4 of the damage (65 point Dragon’s Breath!!! WT actual F!!!) At that point redundancy is not the concern, survival is. (And I’m not kidding myself this character is not going to be a damage powerhouse, he’s built to tank with his face.)

For that reason, I'd recommend actually not going Totem but instead going Battlerager, as you'll gain bonuses for grapping and THP for using Reckless Attack (which you will, often).

As far as Rogue subclasses go, I'd strongly recommend Scout. Grab someone and just start booking it each turn. Drag them directly into the middle of your team to pound on while they're Prone.

Unfortunately Battlerager is a dwarf only subclass one AL, and while it is an interesting pick, I don’t think the chances are high that I get to 6th Level for the THP ability.

Something to consider, I suppose.

Scout sounds real fun though, makes you a real skill monkey as well.

Keravath
2020-06-11, 10:40 PM
I have a character similar to this in AL and it has been fun to play so far but the rogue is just starting to come online since they just turned level 6.

Mountain dwarf barbarian, part of the Dwarven Scouts, special forces for the dwarf horde. Scouting, infiltration, trap elimination, you need it done and they are there! :)

Level 5 bear totem barbarian, Scout rogue X since the additional skills and expertise fit the character concept. Initial stats were 17 14 17 8 10 8 ... ASI at level 4 bumped str and con to 18. Character will take resilient wisdom at some point. AC is decent with a shield. Main weapon is a rapier for sneak attack.

CTurbo
2020-06-12, 12:52 AM
I've thought a lot of about this and I still don't know what I would do. I would probably TWF with two short swords.

I like Scout Rogue, but it really doesn't fit the Barbarian style very well. You don't want to move away from an enemy if it ends it's turn next to you. Of course you could have some fun with this with a grappling build. If a creature is grappled by you, it's obviously going to end it's turn within 5ft of you so you could drag it around all over on your turn and with your reaction. That's kinda neat. Elk Totem would work well with Scout increasing your speed even more. My buddy played a Tabaxi Totem Barb 14/Rogue 2 in a one shot. He took Elk at level 3, Bear at level 6, and Eagle at level 14 so he would grapple an enemy and then jump like 40-50ft or more in the air with the enemy and then land on them and THEN attack them twice.

Swashbuckler would be an easy choice. You don't HAVE to invest in Cha at all but you could probably stick a 12 there for a little initiative bump. Swashbuckler/Zealot would be quite the damage dealer.

prototype00
2020-06-12, 01:29 AM
I think the main issue with Scout is that Reaction is going be primo real estate for the things this character can do, so maybe that Scout reaction is superfluous (or I can use it to run around to the squishies)

The humble thief has quite a few nice things as well (fast hands alchemist fire and whatnot). I might consider that as well.

I was kinda hoping to dump Cha which is why I’m not immediately leaping for Swash, TBH.

micahaphone
2020-06-12, 01:44 AM
Personally, I'd use a dagger or improvised weapon in one hand, keep the other empty. With expertise and advantage in athletics, be the king of grappling. Grab a person and shank them in the gut, that's a real nasty sneak attack.

Tavern Brawler would let you grapple as a bonus action, too. Can't do it the same turn as you rage, and won't work with cunning action, but you could get sneak attack damage and CC on a target in one turn, pretty hefty combo.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-12, 03:08 AM
I have a Rogue/Barbarian in my game right now, he's playing a Minotaur Bearbarian/Swashbuckler Rogue, current split I think is 6/4 he has been dual wielding Scimitars but jsut got some custom magic weapons. He's been tanking like crazy, making use of having good skill checks and dealing very good damage, the only note here is that as a house rule I let his horns trigger Sneak because he likes to use them (it's actually worse than his weapon a lot of the time though).

prototype00
2020-06-12, 12:59 PM
Speaking of weapons, what might be something good to aim for? (Theres a bit of leeway in AL since you can DM and get the items you want).

I'm aiming for Flametongue something or another (Rapier would be good) but does anyone have a better suggestion? Straight +3 weapon or Sunblade maybe?

prototype00

Dork_Forge
2020-06-12, 01:23 PM
Speaking of weapons, what might be something good to aim for? (Theres a bit of leeway in AL since you can DM and get the items you want).

I'm aiming for Flametongue something or another (Rapier would be good) but does anyone have a better suggestion? Straight +3 weapon or Sunblade maybe?

prototype00

Scimitar of Speed seems like a great weapon for this: +2 weapon that lets you make a bonus action attack (with mod)

prototype00
2020-06-12, 09:01 PM
Scimitar of Speed seems like a great weapon for this: +2 weapon that lets you make a bonus action attack (with mod)

Ah, unfortunately in all my perambulations in AL at all tiers, I still have not seen one of these extremely desirable items.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-13, 01:04 AM
Ah, unfortunately in all my perambulations in AL at all tiers, I still have not seen one of these extremely desirable items.

Then just aim for the best +x weapon you can, a Sunblade or maybe something like a Frostbrand. Flametongues are cool, but fire is one of the most common damage resistance/immunities so best to avoid where possible especially in later game.