PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man movie

JessSoccer
2007-10-27, 05:57 PM
Marvel has posted trailers for the new Iron Man movie. I'm pretty excited, actually, although I dont generally approve of Iron Man, him in fact being a total pain in my rear. It seems to capture, at least in the clips I saw, his quintessential duchedness. The actor is dead on too. This makes me smile on the inside. Not dance joyfully like a Deadpool movie would, but just smile.

ztdestroyer
2007-10-27, 09:16 PM
Gotta agree with you there. Robert Downey Jr. comes off as a total jerk, which is ideal of Stark, and if you really don't like him at all, I'd suggest the new Thor comics, where he [Thor] totally lays the beat down on iron man. Good times.

Green Bean
2007-10-27, 09:26 PM
Seeing the trailers, I'm liking how it looks so far. At the very least, we know that his theme music is going to be pretty awesome. :smallbiggrin:

JessSoccer
2007-10-27, 09:41 PM
Gotta agree with you there. Robert Downey Jr. comes off as a total jerk, which is ideal of Stark, and if you really don't like him at all, I'd suggest the new Thor comics, where he [Thor] totally lays the beat down on iron man. Good times.

I did get the Thor comic, as I'm a fan of him, and I've got to say I nearly cried when he did his "let me show you what the god of thunder can do" bit *tear*

Stam
2007-10-28, 12:07 AM
Yeah, that was just plain ol' cool. Stark had it coming, though. Completely.

Hawriel
2007-10-28, 01:54 AM
Seeing the trailers, I'm liking how it looks so far. At the very least, we know that his theme music is going to be pretty awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Well there is only one song you can have. I didnt like how they put the song in the trailer though it was all wrong.

Beleriphon
2007-10-28, 03:54 AM
Well there is only one song you can have. I didnt like how they put the song in the trailer though it was all wrong.

You mean Iron Man by Black Sabbath?

Its totally in the trailer, or at least the current one. The SDCC trailer did have different music.

Witchhunter
2007-10-28, 08:46 AM
I'm looking forwards to a return to rooting for Tony Stark instead of against him.

Of course, because movies trump comic books, they will have to redeem Stark in the comics as well.

Gundato
2007-10-28, 09:14 AM
Or they will try to shove out the second movie that reminds everyone that he is an alcoholic, thus letting him remain the target of all hatred.

JessSoccer
2007-10-28, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty sure he's going to remain the target of my hatred for a while now. Thanks to his charming demeanor. :smallamused:

Stam
2007-10-28, 11:33 AM
Best part of the Thor-beatout, though? The fact that Stark even thought that he'd have to apologize for kicking Thor's butt later :smallbiggrin:

RandomNPC
2007-10-28, 12:32 PM
i'm gonna see it, what i've seen and heard is good.

that said, i've still got a smirk on my face from when hulk made Iron Man swear. (world war hulk 1)

2007-10-28, 04:10 PM
Or they will try to shove out the second movie that reminds everyone that he is an alcoholic, thus letting him remain the target of all hatred.

I never hated Stark for being an alky. I thought it was cool.

I hate him because he's a douche. Not a funny douche, the Ultimate Stark is a funny douche.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-28, 04:27 PM
I hate him because he's a douche. Not a funny douche, the Ultimate Stark is a funny douche.

What's this, claiming that Ultimates has likable characters? What are you on?:smallwink:

2007-10-28, 04:31 PM
What's this, claiming that Ultimates has likable characters? What are you on?:smallwink:

I never got why everyone hates the Ultimates. Ultimate Stark is a really, really funny guy, and the dynamic with Cap and old Bucky is enough to make me want to cry sometimes.

I really liked Stark in the issue when Loki and his army of superhumans take over the US, and Stark is betrayed by Black Widow, so he gets completely wasted and starts flying around in his super Iron Man ship armor, blasting things and drinking scotch.

Gundato
2007-10-28, 04:49 PM
Yes, but they will make him do something really naughty to show that his alcoholism is bad (rather than him just being the cliche drunken warrior). I doubt they'll let him off a senator this time, but it will probably be enough to let them keep him as the root of all sort-of-evil in 616.

Hawriel
2007-10-28, 08:17 PM
You mean Iron Man by Black Sabbath?

Its totally in the trailer, or at least the current one. The SDCC trailer did have different music.

yeah I know I saw that one. I was refering to the trailer with the Iron Man song. The song started way to late in the trailer they didnt do a good job mixing it in.

JessSoccer
2007-10-28, 08:19 PM
Well this movie is for a generation of kids who dont even know this song exists. I for one, think they did a good job with it...ending with the pronouncement of I AM IRON MAN

Stam
2007-10-28, 08:33 PM
Well this movie is for a generation of kids who dont even know this song exists. I for one, think they did a good job with it...ending with the pronouncement of I AM IRON MAN

Hey...I'm only 28, and I've heard that song! Loved how they worked it into the trailer.

It probably won't show up in the actual movie, though. Or so I think...and would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong :)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-29, 04:52 AM
Hey...I'm only 28, and I've heard that song! Loved how they worked it into the trailer.

It probably won't show up in the actual movie, though. Or so I think...and would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong :)

They might have it really quite on a radio in the background or something. Or use it in a one off gag, all serious movies needing one off gags.

Then again, the Song clearly isn't about the Marvel Iron Man, since it's about a time traveling monster who goes berzerk after people don't treat him properly.

I never got why everyone hates the Ultimates.

Let's see why people might hate the Ultimates:

Spoilered for mild irrelevance.
Bruce Banner kills people as the Hulk. He's also a bit of a wimp. After everyone's a jerk to him of course, but that just gives you a reason to hate everyone else. This is a bit of an odd criticism since the Hulk must have killed people by accident in the 616 marvel universe, the comics book code just hides it.

Betty Ross is a carreer focused b***.

Captain America acts like a jerk when he's in uniform. This isn't entirely unrealistic however and he acts better out of uniform.

Tony Stark? I'm not sure why people hate Ultimate Stark, maybe he's just richer than them. He's the sort of celebrity you hate to read about in newspapers but like him when you meet him.

Hank Pym is a wife beating jerk. Janet acts nothing like the original so may be suffering from backlash.

Thor is a bit of a hippy. I don't find him unlikable myself but some people hate hippies. He also doesn't talk in Shakespearian English (not that the original had any reason to) and there's no Don Blake so he may suffer from backlash as being too much of a departure from the 616 Thor.

Tony Stark? I'm not sure why people hate Ultimate Stark, maybe he's just richer than them. He's the sort of celebrity you hate to read about in newspapers but like him when you meet him.

From the Iron Man trailer, Tony did come off as quite annoying. Whether he'll become more bearable during his inprisonment we'll have to wait and see.

JessSoccer
2007-10-29, 07:15 AM

I meant 12 year olds....Iron Man came out what in the late 70s/eary/mid 80s? Of course you would have heard of it at 28..I being 20 have heard of it (and really love it, esp. the I AM SANTA CLAUSE christmas version )

Kaelaroth
2007-10-29, 07:50 AM
I hadn't heard of it prior to this occasion... but then; I am younger than JessSoccer. Good song though.

Beleriphon
2007-10-29, 08:03 AM
I meant 12 year olds....Iron Man came out what in the late 70s/eary/mid 80s? Of course you would have heard of it at 28..I being 20 have heard of it (and really love it, esp. the I AM SANTA CLAUSE christmas version )

March 1963, Tales of Suspense #39 for the character. Iron Man was on Black Sabbath's second album Paranoid released in 1970.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-29, 08:15 AM
I'm 18 in a few months but had heard it way long ago.

I think there was an Iron Man Cartoon that used a hacked version of this song as well.

Seraph
2007-10-29, 06:43 PM
They might have it really quite on a radio in the background or something. Or use it in a one off gag, all serious movies needing one off gags.

Then again, the Song clearly isn't about the Marvel Iron Man, since it's about a time traveling monster who goes berzerk after people don't treat him properly.

Bruce Banner kills people as the Hulk. He's also a bit of a wimp. After everyone's a jerk to him of course, but that just gives you a reason to hate everyone else. This is a bit of an odd criticism since the Hulk must have killed people by accident in the 616 marvel universe, the comics book code just hides it.

Captain America acts like a jerk when he's in uniform. This isn't entirely unrealistic however and he acts better out of uniform.

Hank Pym is a wife beating jerk. Janet acts nothing like the original so may be suffering from backlash.

Thor is a bit of a hippy. I don't find him unlikable myself but some people hate hippies. He also doesn't talk in Shakespearian English (not that the original had any reason to) and there's no Don Blake so he may suffer from backlash as being too much of a departure from the 616 Thor.

From the Iron Man trailer, Tony did come off as quite annoying. Whether he'll become more bearable during his inprisonment we'll have to wait and see.

you forgot what they did to deadpool.

JessSoccer
2007-10-29, 08:18 PM
March 1963, Tales of Suspense #39 for the character. Iron Man was on Black Sabbath's second album Paranoid released in 1970.

I meant the song, TY for the dates though :) Quite thorough.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-30, 06:19 AM
you forgot what they did to deadpool.

They did nothing to Deadpool. They created a differant character with a similar design. The original Deadpool hasn't been tampered with at all.

It would be lamer if they'd just copied him verbatum.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-11-01, 06:37 PM

:smallconfused: I'm only 15, and not only do I know the song, I can play it :P

Seriously, though. This movie looks awesome.

2007-11-01, 08:35 PM

See, thats what I don't get. Do people expect the Ultimate characters to be the 616 characters all over again? If they didn't change things, there'd be no point in having an Ultimate universe, just go back and read the old comics of the Avengers or whatever.

Most of those things you stated just made the characters seem more like, well, characters, as opposed to people in costumes shouting about how much they like to fight evil.

And Hank only beat up his wife that one time.

But Hulk does eat people... which is okay, because he's supposed to be this huge evil threat.

Hawriel
2007-11-02, 01:23 AM

ok as i said in my first post there is only one song they can, should, do what ever it takes to get for the movie. They did. IMHO wich I love to stick to like a tyger with a catnip chew toy. the beats of the song should have started right befor the convoy was attacked. continued wile stark was being tossed in his "cell" and made the armor. WHen he busted the door down is when the guitar riff should have come in. the Voculs hit right when hes finished dispaching the badguys standing all badass in his grey armor. swich to tital of movie. Thats what I ment when I said they mixed it in wrong. What was being showed dering the song didnt mach IMO the flow of the song. Oh and it needed to be lauder. Iron man heavy metal laud song was to quiet.

Its pretty clear to me that the generation their targeting is mine, gen X and thoughs 10 years younger.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-02, 10:40 AM
Most of those things you stated just made the characters seem more like, well, characters, as opposed to people in costumes shouting about how much they like to fight evil.

I was playing devil's advocate and don't neccesaraly believe the points I made, I was just trying to understand the opinions of people who don't like the Ultimates.

And Hank only beat up his wife that one time.

Hank is only shown to have beaten up his wife that one time. Betty Ross clearly states he has a history of doing so.

Still, this makes Hank more realistic. The original Hank was actually worse in that he was completely insane when he became Yellow Jacket. Hank is merely someone with violent tendancies and personal issues. While this doesn't make him a good husband it hardly makes him a monster.

But Hulk does eat people... which is okay, because he's supposed to be this huge evil threat.

He's not supposed to be a huge evil threat, he's supposed to be a pitiable monster. The original Hulk only attacked things because he was angry, so he was always justified in some way. If General Ross has left the Hulk alone he wouldn't have done so much damages.

I read somewhere that Iron Man is supposed to take on some fighter planes in this movie. That sounds awesome, I hope they don't ruin that scene.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-11-02, 02:20 PM
Hulk is a pitiable monster- in 616. Pym isn't a wife-beater in 616. Cap isn't so violent. Falcon doesn't decapitate people with his wings. As has been said, the Ultimate universe is different. That's the point. So, here, they made the Hulk- who always skated the line between hero and villain- a rampaging, unstoppable force of destruction.

Terraneaux
2007-11-07, 12:44 AM
To be frank, the Ultimate Hulk makes more sense.

Somewhere in WWH She-Hulk asks Tony in an accusatory manner whether or not hulk has killed anybody. They get all embarrassed and say no. I mean, he had to have offed a few people just from collateral damage. And probably indirectly, I bet he's, say, knocked down a telephone pole that provides power to a hospital and killed a few people on life support. It's just not realistic to say that the 616 Hulk's never killed anyone.

But on the topic of the movie, it better be good. It's Marvel's first in-house movie, and if it's a flop, they're in deep ****.