PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Guardian: A WIP monk subclass

StagnantFlux
2020-06-11, 10:11 PM
So, I threw this together quickly as a proof of concept, because I think a shield and fist monk would be fun. I'm sure the balance is going to be off. Let me know what you think.

P.E.A.C.H.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Ow4tn_2u_

Composer99
2020-06-12, 12:34 AM
As a general nitpicky remark, you might want to go through and double check spelling, spacing, that sort of thing.

As a general balance remark, this will be a very durable monk, and will greatly improve the durability of its teammates; however it will probably feel underpowered relative to other monks and their superior offensive capabilities, keeping in mind that monk subclass features come online at tier breakpoints at 11th and 17th level, so lack of offensive power may well be keenly felt.

Martial Defense
Beginning 3rd level, you gain the benefits of your unarmored defense trait, while using shields. Additionally, your shield is treated as a monk weapon for the purpose of melee attacks.

This might be a little strong? It's probably fine as long as you're paying some sort of offensive price - which, given the kinds of abilities other monastic traditions get at 3rd level, I'd reckon you are.

One point of clarification: as far as I know, the PHB does not have a "shield bash"-style attack, so if you want to treat a shield as a monk weapon, you need to specify its damage and properties.

Assisting Aegis
Starting 3rd level, you have trained to use your shield to protect others in combat. When a creature within 5 ft. of you is targetted with a ranged weapon attack, you may spend a ki point to use Deflect Missiles on it. If a missile is deflected this way, it cannot be thrown back as part of the same reaction. Additionally, you may take a bonus action to defend a creature within 5 ft. Until the beginning of your next turn, melee weapon attacks against that creature are made at disadvantage.

I'd be inclined to make the bonus action defend-other feature cost a ki point, instead of the improved Deflect effect.

Offensive Bulwark
Starting 6th level, you begin to perfect the style of fighting with a shield, learning to enrage your opponent with brutal strikes. Melee attacks with your shield are considered magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances. Additionaly, once per turn when youmake an attack with your shield, you may spend a ki point, forcing your target to make aeconstitution saving throw. On a failed save, all attacks the target makes against creatures other than you gain disadvantage until the beginning of your next turn.

This is fine, except for the part where it requires a Constitution saving throw. That might be fine in and of itself, but it clashes with the description of how the strikes "enrage your opponent", which seems more like a Wisdom save situation. Suggest either rewording the description to match the save, or change the save.

Also, you may want to make explicit the fact that the saving throw is made against your ki saving throw DC - or specify the DC if it isn't.

Saviors Phalanx
Starting at 11th level, you learn how to better defend those around you. When a creature within 5 feet takes damage, you may use your reaction, spending 2 ki points, to reduce the damage by half.

I'm not sure this needs to cost 2 ki? Rogues get to do this for themselves at 5th level without any resource expenditure (other than the use of their reaction), so 1 or even no ki would be suitable for an 11th-level feature. If you got this earlier, it might be worth having a ki cost.

Ki Shield
Starting at 17th level, you begin to project your ki outward, producing shields to protect allies. As an action, you may spend 3 ki points. For the next minute, allies within 5 ft. of you gain a +2 to their AC. Creatures already carrying a shield do not gain the benefits of this ability. You may use this ability once, and regain the ability to do so on a long rest.

Seems fine to me.

StagnantFlux
2020-06-12, 12:17 PM
A lot of great feedback. I mostly threw this together before going to bed, so I'm not too surprised at the spelling errors.

All balance issues I will look at.

As for the con save, I made it while tired and originally the feature was different. I then realized that the I had given them another stunning strike, and had to fix it before I slept. guess I missed part.

As for damage dice, monk weapons use your martial arts die, though I'll probably specify that it does bludgeoning damage equal to your martial arts die, just to avoid confusion.

DracoDei
2020-06-14, 06:36 PM
Wiki-like cross linking to a work of mine with a somewhat similar theme. Reciprocal link added.
Self-Sacrifice Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23877043&postcount=17): One of my interim steps as I work up to a 5e conversion of my 3.pf Grace-gift.