PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Hecatomb (monster)

rferries
2020-06-12, 07:21 AM
I saw this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?613878-3-5-Non-psionic-Caller-In-Darkness) about making a non-psionic Caller In Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/callerInDarkness.htm) and the idea really appealed to me (especially since IMHO undeath = magic and psionics = sci-fi, and never the twain shall meet!). Ended up straying fairly far from the concept, though!

https://i.imgur.com/YS483YN.jpg
HECATOMBDIMINUTIVE UNDEAD (Incorporeal, Swarm)
Hit Dice: 12d12 (78 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: Fly 20 ft. (perfect) (4 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+4 deflection, +4 Dex, +4 size), touch 22, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/-
Attack: Swarm (3d6 negative energy plus energy drain)
Full Attack: Swarm (3d6 negative energy plus energy drain)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Devour essence, distraction, energy drain, horrifying gaze, maddened minds, terrifying utterances
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., deeper darkness, immune to weapon damage, incorporeal traits, lifesense, light vulnerability, lore, swarm traits, undead traits
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +14
Abilities: Str -, Dex 18, Con -, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Hide +19, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (all) +10, Listen +19, Search +19, Sense Motive +19, Speak Language (any fifteen), Spellcraft +19, Spot +19, Survival +4 (+6 following tracks)
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 13-24 HD
Level Adjustment: -

The roiling cloud of shadow before you contains an ever-shifting mass of skulls and decayed visages. Wails of terror, despair, and hatred echo throughout the air.

A hecatomb is formed from the tormented spirits of humanoids that died together in a great slaughter or unholy sacrifice. The creatures are hopelessly insane and malevolent, seeking only to incorporate other sentient beings into their collective misery. Nonetheless, they may remember secrets and lore that has otherwise long since passed from the world.

During an encounter, it is possible (though very difficult) to communicate with particular souls trapped within a hecatomb, though such souls are generally as twisted and cruel as their fellow prisoners.

Hecatombs understand Common, Dwarven, Elven, Undercommon, and any other languages they gained through their Speak Language skill. However, a hecatomb speaks with many voices and using a random mixture of the languages it knows - they are generally unintelligible unless the listener knows at least four languages or has access to comprehend languages or similar magic.

Combat
Hecatombs are relentless in combat. They glide through the air to drain and devour the essences of their prey one by one.

Deeper Darkness (Su)
A hecatomb radiates deeper darkness, as the spell (caster level 12th). This effect automatically counters and dispels any [Light] spell of 3rd level or lower within 120 feet of the creature. A hecatomb can see through its own darkness but cannot suppress this ability.

Devour Essence (Su)
The souls of living creatures slain by a hecatomb are incorporated into the creature's collective spirit. They cannot be raised or otherwise restored to life while the hecatomb exists, and the creature recalls everything they knew in life for the purpose of Knowledge checks and spoken languages.

Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Energy Drain (Su)
Living creatures subjected to a hecatomb's swarm attack gain one negative level. The DC is 20 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. The save DC is Charisma-based. For each such negative level bestowed, the hecatomb gains 5 temporary hit points.

Horrifying Gaze (Su)
A hecatomb's unearthly appearance drives viewers to madness. Any creature within 30 feet that looks at the creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 20) to avoid taking 1d6 points of Wisdom damage. This is a necromantic fear gaze attack. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lifesense (Su)
A hecatomb notices and locates living creatures within 60 feet, just as if it possessed the blindsight ability. It also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if it had cast deathwatch.

Lore (Ex)
A hecatomb knows everything its component souls know, including languages. It may make any Knowledge check untrained and adds one-half its Hit Dice as a bonus on all Knowledge checks (+6 for the sample hecatomb).

Light Vulnerability (Ex)
Hecatombs are utterly powerless in natural sunlight (not merely a daylight spell) and flee from it. A hecatomb caught in sunlight cannot attack and can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor can it take full-round actions).

Maddened Minds (Su)
Anyone targeting a hecatomb with a thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability makes direct contact with its tortured hive mind and is driven permanently insane (as the spell, caster level 12th). A successful Will save (DC 20) reduces the insanity to being confused instead (as the spell, caster level 12th). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Terrifying Utterances (Su)
A hecatomb is constantly whispering, babbling, and wailing to itself. Any creature within 30 feet that hears a hecatomb's utterances must succeed on a Will save (DC 20) to avoid being shaken for 1d4 rounds. This effect stacks up to the panicked condition, as normal. This is a sonic necromantic fear effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

The Shoeless
2020-06-13, 05:39 AM
I absolutely love this. Creepy and powerful with a lot of flavour.

A couple of questions though: If the Deeper Darkness would be suppressed (say by an AM field), would it ever come online again? When would this happen? The creature doesn't seem to be able to control the ability. And if it is a permanent effect that would come back immediately, what good does the Gaze Attack, Sunlight Sensitivity and Darkvision do the creature?

Strongly considering using this as a surprise horror encounter when my players are hunting for some obscure knowledge in an old cult site... :smallsmile:

nonsi
2020-06-14, 01:43 AM
1. How is it diminutive when it has 10' space?
2. What's the meaning of Survival +4 (+6 tracks) ?
3. I think you got Advancement and LA swapped.
4. AFAIK, there's no difference in effect between Daylight spell and actual sunlight. Is there any official distinction on the subject?
5. It could be nice if Hecatomb came with creation requirements, so that the Knowledge part - along with HD advancement - could be accounted for, as well as rules for accumulating souls and consuming souls for utilizing various additional powers.

DracoDei
2020-06-14, 08:24 AM
4. AFAIK, there's no difference in effect between Daylight spell and actual sunlight. Is there any official distinction on the subject?
5. It could be nice if Hecatomb came with creation requirements, so that the Knowledge part - along with HD advancement - could be accounted for, as well as rules for accumulating souls and consuming souls for utilizing various additional powers.

Because: Swarm.
+2 synergy or racial bonus to following tracks. Formatting is probably a bit off? Someone check Dog or something in the MM.
-
There is a difference, and it is standard to explicitly call it out with such monsters.
Well, if it is an unintended and random SIDE EFFECT of an "unholy sacrifice", then that becomes less necessary, but otherwise, yes?

rferries
2020-06-14, 08:27 AM
Thanks both of you for your comments!

I absolutely love this. Creepy and powerful with a lot of flavour.

A couple of questions though: If the Deeper Darkness would be suppressed (say by an AM field), would it ever come online again? When would this happen? The creature doesn't seem to be able to control the ability. And if it is a permanent effect that would come back immediately, what good does the Gaze Attack, Sunlight Sensitivity and Darkvision do the creature?

Strongly considering using this as a surprise horror encounter when my players are hunting for some obscure knowledge in an old cult site... :smallsmile:

The deeper darkness is a supernatural ability, so it would be suppressed in the area of an antimagic field but return again once outside the area. The gaze attack and sunlight vulnerability would function normally (remember deeper darkness doesn't create impenetrable blackness, just gives concealment); good point about the darkvision though so I've edited in an immunity to its own darkness.

1. Excellent question! Since it's a swarm it's composed of many small creatures (in this case incorporeal skulls) occupying a 10-foot space; a human skull is a Diminutive object.
2. It's one of those annoying 3.5 details where the monster entries include skill synergies even if they don't have ranks in a particular skill. +4 Survival from Wisdom modifier, +2 synergy bonus from ranks in Search.
3. Oooops good catch, thanks.
4. I copied the vulnerability from spectres/wraiths/similar undead, who specifically aren't harmed by the daylight spell. However, the spell itself says:

Creatures that take penalties in bright light also take them while within the radius of this magical light. Despite its name, this spell is not the equivalent of daylight for the purposes of creatures that are damaged or destroyed by bright light.

So logically you have a point and daylight should paralyse the hecatomb and similar creatures (since they're being penalised but not actually damaged), the designers just ruled that it would be too easy to defeat them that way I suppose.

5. I'd just rule that you can create one with greater create undead.

The Shoeless
2020-06-14, 09:06 AM
The gaze attack and sunlight vulnerability would function normally (remember deeper darkness doesn't create impenetrable blackness, just gives concealment)

Right you are! Thanks for clarifying.

nonsi
2020-06-14, 03:03 PM
5. I'd just rule that you can create one with greater create undead.

That's the obvious answer.
The reason I asked is that there's one thing about D&D undead that I really don't like: Undead are supposed to be the hungriest monstrosities in all of creation, yet they can linger unhindered w/o feeding for centuries.
Respectively, Hecatomb feeds to gain more knowledge from its victims (I'd assume to grow in power - i.e. more HD). But once it has gained 24 HD and all Knowledge (no details for how that happens), it seemingly has no more reason to feed.

rferries
2020-06-14, 03:44 PM
That's the obvious answer.
The reason I asked is that there's one thing about D&D undead that I really don't like: Undead are supposed to be the hungriest monstrosities in all of creation, yet they can linger unhindered w/o feeding for centuries.
Respectively, Hecatomb feeds to gain more knowledge from its victims (I'd assume to grow in power - i.e. more HD). But once it has gained 24 HD and all Knowledge (no details for how that happens), it seemingly has no more reason to feed.

That's when they start taking class levels! :smallbiggrin:

Alternatively, you could rule that a hecatomb that reaches 24 HD splits into two standard hecatombs.

Or hecatombs could take a custom feat:

Hecatomb Magic
Your collective spirits include spellcasters, and you may employ some of their magic.

Prerequisites
Hecatomb, character level 15th.

Benefits
You may use limited wish three times per day as a spell-like ability.

Greater Hecatomb Magic
You have mastered the magic of darkness and death.

Prerequisites
Hecatomb, character level 18th.

Benefits
You may use any [Darkness], Necromancy, or Illusion (Shadow) spell three times per day as a spell-like ability.

Or even add this section to the entry:

Advanced Hecatombs
At the end of any encounter in which a hecatomb devours the souls of creatures with total CR equal to its current CR, the hecatomb gains an additional racial Hit Dice or its racial Hit Dice increase to equal the character level of the highest-level creature whose soul it has devoured (whichever is greater).

Some particularly powerful hecatombs retain the class features of creatures whose souls they have devoured (typically spellcasters).

And a bonus:

Creating A Hecatomb
Most hecatombs spontaneously arise from the random deaths of many innocents, whether as a sacrifice to gods of slaughter or during genocidal conquests or even during natural disasters (including famines or plagues).

However, a necromancer or evil cleric may deliberately create a hecatomb in a special ritual by slaying at least one hundred non-evil humanoids and casting greater create undead.

nonsi
2020-06-16, 11:41 AM
Seems quite a lot for 2 feats.
Other than that . . . another source to reference from my overhaul codex :biggrin:

rferries
2020-06-21, 06:57 PM
Seems quite a lot for 2 feats.
Other than that . . . another source to reference from my overhaul codex :biggrin:

Yeah, it's not suited for PC use (would have to be split into a full chain at the very least). And I'm glad the beast appeals!