PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 4e Ardent in 5e: A Paladin retool

Xuldarinar
2020-06-12, 08:08 AM
Nothing here yet, just a premise. I'll keep a space here for it.

I want to bring the Ardent to life in 5e. I love the idea of an emotion focused psionic paladin, but nothing there in the edition quite does it justice I feel. Least.. not quite. So! Whether its best done as an oath, or an in depth variant on the class, how can we best reflect the concept? How can we make the Paladin feel psionic?

The Psionic Talent dice mechanic and similar things, that we have seen in UA content, has crossed my mind but I'm not sure the best place to work that in or if there even is a good place to do so.

Garfunion
2020-06-12, 11:38 AM
While I do enjoy playing 4e I never really got into the psionic portion.
So what does the ardent really do?
How do you want the ardent to do it?

(Really think about these questions)

You can use the spell point system in the DMG call it psi points and call it a day.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-12, 11:48 AM
Oath of the Sound Mind

Channel Divinity: break charm and possession

Your Divine Sense Feature also detects Charmed Creatures.

Your oath features make you and allies resistant to charm effects (aura=Fortress of Iron Will) and madness

Oath Spells include Protection from evil and good, dispel magic, and remove curse.

Flavor like a divine therapist and an iconic that turns devils good and go.

Xuldarinar
2020-06-12, 03:59 PM
While I do enjoy playing 4e I never really got into the psionic portion.
So what does the ardent really do?
How do you want the ardent to do it?

(Really think about these questions)

You can use the spell point system in the DMG call it psi points and call it a day.

Well, for use here lets break the class down. And far as the spell point system.. Maybe?

Flavor: "Those who let their base emotions rule them invite madness and destruction. Prolonged feelings of fear, greed, lust, or hatred can weaken the mind's defenses against manipulation. Wielding psionic power, you excite such emotions in your enemies, creating gaps in their defesnes and frustrating their attacks, all while filling your allies with encouraging thoughts and guarding them against despair and other negative emotions."

Mechanics: Ardents are very much a matter of buff allies, and debuff enemies. Early levels they have stuff that allow allies to get a bonus to damage rolls, attack on the Ardent's turn, block damage, heal.. inflict damage and conditions to enemies. A lot of stuff built around melee weapon attacks with some doses of psychic damage in there. They had subclasses such as the Argent Soul (heal focus), Psionic Binder (restrict enemies), and Stygian Adept (inflict fear).

Oath of the Sound Mind

Channel Divinity: break charm and possession

Your Divine Sense Feature also detects Charmed Creatures.

Your oath features make you and allies resistant to charm effects (aura=Fortress of Iron Will) and madness

Oath Spells include Protection from evil and good, dispel magic, and remove curse.

Flavor like a divine therapist and an iconic that turns devils good and go.

Thats an interesting concept and approach.That.. gives me something to think on.