PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need characters! (D&D 3.5, details within)

Serpent Stare
2007-10-27, 06:40 PM
Hi, everyone.
Thanks for checking out my cry for help.

Here's my story: I'm a DM, and my players asked me a couple of days ago to come up with a one-evening session to play on Hallowe'en, appropriately themed for the occasion. Now, I'd love to, but I just know I can't write everything up for a good session by Wednesday and I was starting to panic, then, ding! I had an idea. Ask the nice people on GiantITP for help! I bet it'll work, too!

So the concept is this: The characters are necromancers, werewolves or (if we can get away with it) vampires. The werewolves and vampires are defending a castle, the necromancers are trying to attack it. Either or both sides may have access to a host of underlings who may or may not obey orders without fault. The players on the defending and attacking sides may or may not be cooperating and that's fine. Particularly, sabotage and senseless murder between vampires and werewolves within the castle would not surprise me.

Now, guidelines...

All characters:
Use only the 3 core rulebooks of 3.5: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual.

Target ECL is set at 11.

The characters are evil.

I'd prefer the base creatures for werewolves and vampires not to be anything which already has level adjustment, but if you get an idea that's just too great/crazy/twisted to pass up, go for it, I'll take it anyway.

Characters can be any basic class which is compatible with alignment etc. It's worth noting, however, that PCs will most likely be working against each other instead of as a team, so support-type characters should also be capable of being independent. Also, the prestige classes included in the DM's Guide are fair game if you want to use them.

Ability scores are rolled with 5d6 best three. If your rolls are bad, don't use them. Your judgment call here, but the characters don't have to be very powerful.

Equipment is standard based on character class. This discludes level adjustment, but for high-LA characters, you can stretch that if you think it necessary.

For Werewolves:
Use the template for werewolves in the Monster Manual.

All werewolf characters should be natural werewolves for the sake of something vaguely resembling simplicity.

My own ruling, for this game session alone: Werewolves are not inherently chaotic, though they are inherently evil, so lawful or neutral ones are just fine.

Vampires:
Use the monster manual, but feel free to modify the template - I'm not sure how to work this with my own ECL restriction. If anyone would like to suggest a way to lower that hefty +8 Level Modifier, please go ahead and use it. You're probably a better judge of whether it would work than me.

Edit: Okay, not changing the template, but all vampires must have at least 5 HD. This may put them over the ECL. My players will either never find out, or understand. They're good guys. So, vampires with 5 character levels are the rule for this one. On a side note, the attackers are going to really need silver weapons. Really, really badly. I'm seeing two things. Infiltrator teams that act like PC adventuring groups in normal games sent in to remove particularly troublesome enemies, or even more in-fighting. Very deadly infighting. With, as it were, alchemical warfare.

Necromancers:
Necromancers can be evil clerics, wizards, sorcerers, or whatever. Give them some way to control undead, though, because in this scenario, that's the whole point. They don't necessarily have to create all the undead they control (For the purposes of the game the forest may already be swarming with the things if necessary).

Also, if someone wants to whip up a spellcaster or two to play on the necromancer's side who deals with summoning minor demons/devils or elementals or whatever instead of using undead, go for it. Variety is a wonderful thing.

NPC Underlings:
Can be practically anything. Go for an ECL of 4 to 6 or so. It would be very handy to know exactly who the servants of the PCs are and what they can do.

Anyone who wants to hand me stats for an underling can build a specific person or a stock character of which there may be several ("Parapet Guard", "Troglodyte Adept", "Fire-Enchanted Zombie" etc. etc.).

Additional notes:
Powerful builds are neither necessary nor particularly wanted. I know my players, and they are inherently roleplayers, as am I. For this project, the more interesting the character build, the more fun you can bet my players will have with it.

Please, please don't not answer this because there's already a lot of answers. I want as many options as possible. I'm planning on having the players choose the category of their first character and get a randomly selected character from that category, then getting a COMPLETELY random replacement character if/when they die. I'm not sure how often this will happen, so the more choices the better. Any that don't get used may turn up as NPCs in a later game of mine. Oh, and if anyone wants to use any of the ideas that end up here, for any situation at all, that's fine with me as long as it's fine with the poster of the idea you want to steal.

And finally: Can I get someone to whip me up a Succubus for the Necromancers' category? One of my players suggested he'd like to try playing as one. The request surprised me, but heck, why not?

Thank you very, very much! Waste as much time on this as you feel you can spare!

de-trick
2007-10-27, 07:21 PM
i feel like making a monk werewolf or somekind of claw fighter--quick question how do you want us to show character a site or not

Ivius
2007-10-27, 07:29 PM
Sounds like an awesome idea for a one-shot. I'll try to make a decent Vampire grappler by Halloween.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-27, 07:59 PM
I'd appreciate it if you could just post the character info on this thread so I don't have to link anywhere.

Ivius, thanks for the compliment, but I can't take credit for the idea. It was actually the suggestion of another friend of mine who was a much more experienced DM in his time than I am now but has too busy a schedule to DM for us (he is bringing us a Shadowrun campaign, though, which is awesome, even though we'll probably only play twice a month).

Thank you both for the help!

triforcel
2007-10-27, 08:18 PM
Too bad you can't use the Complete Arcane book, a warlock would be perfect for this thematically.

I could probably cobble together a few different characters since I have a couple days off from work. Quick question on the stats though, how many times do you roll the 5d6? And if it's just six do you want them rolled in order of ability score, so that the first roll has to go to strength, etc.?

Serpent Stare
2007-10-27, 08:38 PM
I'm using six rolls, arranged however you please for the benefit and style of the character.

Grim Greyscale
2007-10-27, 08:47 PM
Underlings! Thousands of them!

(Or at least half a dozen...)

Ghoul Strike Team

Ghoul Rogue 2
Medium Undead
HD 4d12 (26 hp)
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +3
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural, +2 Leather Armour); touch 13; flat-footed 14
BAB +2; Grp +3
Attack: Shortsword +5 Melee (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack: Bite +5 Melee (1d6+1+Paralysis) and 2 Claws +3 Melee (1d3+Paralysis) OR Bite +5 Melee (1d6+1+Paralysis) and Shortsword +5 Melee (1d6+1, 19-20/x2) and Claw +3 Melee (1d3+Paralysis)
Space: 5ft. Reach: 5ft.
Special Attacks: Ghoul Fever, Paralysis, Sneak Attack +1d6
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Undead Traits, +2 Turn Resistance, Trapfinding, Evasion
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con -, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +10, Move Silently +10, Listen +9, Spot +9, Search +3, Open Lock +5, Disable Device +3, Tumble +5, Climb +6
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Finesse
Organization: Strike Team (1 Ghoul Rogue and 1 Ghoul Monk)
Challenge Rating: Something
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Ghoul Monk 2
Medium Undead
HD 4d12 (26 hp)
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +3
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural, +2 Wis); touch 15; flat-footed 14
BAB +2; Grp +3
Attack: Bite +5 Melee (1d6+1+Paralysis)
Full-Attack: Bite +5 Melee (1d6+1+Paralysis) and 2 Claws +3 Melee (1d6+Paralysis) OR Bite +3 Melee (1d6+1+Paralysis) and 2 Unarmed Strikes +3 Melee (1d6+1)
Special Attacks: Ghoul Fever, Paralysis, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Undead Traits, +2 Turn Resistance, Evasion
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con -, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +10, Move Silently +10, Listen +9, Spot +9, Climb +6
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Finesse, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes
Organization: Strike Team (1 Ghoul Rogue and 1 Ghoul Monk)
Alignment: Lawful Evil

These guys presumably work for the necromancers.
Tactics: If the Rogue wins initiative, he'll immediately move up and sneak attack the nearest target. If the monk wins initiative, he'll go to the nearest target and use Stunning Fist on it. They'll then go through and kill everyone nearby in order of closeness, though they will go out of their way to kill anyone who attempts to flee the combat.

Nameless Guy and Fluffles

Nameless Guy, Drow Fighter 3
Medium Humanoid (Elf)
HD 3d10+3 (20 hp)
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +7
AC 18 (+3 Dex, +5 Mwk Breastplate); touch 13; flat-footed 15
BAB +3; Grp +5
Attack: Mwk Longsword +4 Melee (1d8+2, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack: Mwk Longsword +4 Melee (1d8+2, 19-20/x2) and Mwk Shortsword +4 Melee (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Darvkision 120ft, Drow Spell-Like Abilities, Spell Resistance 14, Light Blindness
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +2 (+4 against spells)
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Handle Animal +7, Intimidate +7, Ride +6
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative, Mounted Combat
Organization: (1 Nameless Guy and 1 Fluffles)

Fluffles, Fiendish Dire Wolf
Large Magical Beast
HD 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Speed 50ft. (10 squares)
Init: +2
AC 14 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +3 Natural); touch 11; flat-footed 12
BAB +4; Grp +15
Attack: Bite +11 Melee (1d8+10)
Full-Attack: Bite +11 Melee (1d8+10)
Space: 10ft. Reach: 5ft.
Special Attacks: Trip, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Resistance to Fire and Cold 5, Damage Reduction 5/Magic, Spell Resistance 11, Darkvision 60ft
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Survival +4 (+8 when tracking by scent)
Feats: Alertness, Run, Track Weapon Focus (Bite)
Organization: (1 Nameless Guy and 1 Fluffles)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

These two could theoretically work for either side.
Tactics: Nameless Guy and Fluffles will usually just go for a straight-out attacking, flanking any opponents they can.

Some Flying Artillery

Zombie Arrowhawk (Juvenile)
Small Undead (Air)
HD 6d12 (36 hp)
Speed Fly 60ft (Clumsy)
Init: +4
AC 20 (+1 Size, +4 Dex, +5 Natural); touch 15; flat-footed 15
BAB +3; Grp +5
Attack: Bite +5 Melee (1d6+2)
Full-Attack: Bite +5 Melee (1d6+2)
Space: 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/Slashing, Single Actions Only
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 19, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: None
Feats: Toughness
Organization: Solitary or Wing (4-6 Zombie Arrowhawks)

This, being undead, would be a trooper for the Necro's.
Tactics: Just fly up and dive-charge things.

Advanced Darkmantle

Advanced Darkmantle
Medium Magical Beast
HD 4d10+8 (30 hp)
Speed 20ft. (6 squares), Fly 30ft (Poor)
Init: +4
AC 18 (+8 Natural); touch 10; flat-footed 18
BAB +4; Grp +8
Attack: Slam +8 Melee (1d6+6)
Full-Attack: Slam +8 Melee (1d6+6)
Space: 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Darkness, Improved Grab, Constrict 1d6+6
Special Qualities: Blindsight 90ft
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +11, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Improved Initiative,
Organization: Solitary
Alignment: True Neutral

Scatter these things all around the castle, hanging from the roof.
Tactics: If one of these darkmantles sees something, they'll use their Darkness and drop on the person, then constrict until either they or their opponent is dead.

Blah. It's amazing what you can do with a few class levels and templates.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-27, 09:14 PM
Ooh, strike teams! Ghouls with class levels! Heeheehee! (evil DM grin) Some of them might end up going rogue (no pun intended) on their masters if not actually "controlled".
The darkmantles are a good idea. They'd pretty much work as an intelligent trap set against functionally everyone.

I like Nameless Guy. I'll give him a name. Does he ride Fluffles? (combat riding feat... O.o) Also: The concept of calling a fiendish dire wolf Fluffles reminds me of Harry Potter just a little bit.

Thanks a bunch! I wonder if the PCs will be clever enough to properly use/defeat these. :smallamused:

Grim Greyscale
2007-10-27, 09:55 PM
He rides Fluffles into combat, and jumps off after charging (usually in the second round). Unless the space is too small for riding.

Darkxarth
2007-10-27, 10:13 PM
I'm working on some characters, underlings and PCs probably, but might I suggest using a few straight Gargoyles as underlings at the castle? They fit the Halloween theme, and they totally fit with creepy, old castles.

de-trick
2007-10-27, 10:19 PM
barthin grarnet
human natural werewolf
level 4 barbarian/ level 3 fighter
stats
str16+3
dex16+3
con16+3
int15+2
wis16+3
chr15+2

feats
improved natural attack (claw)f, weapon focus(claw)f,iron will(free), track(free), weapon focus (bite)(free), power attack f, cleave f, improve initiative f, improved bullrush f

put rest up later

Serpent Stare
2007-10-27, 10:54 PM
Hmm. Looks promising, de-trick. There's just one thing - you're one level short of the ECL. Werewolves get a +3 LA, leaving you 8 character levels to fill.

Darkxarth, where are you when I'm DMing? Somehow I managed not to have that wonderfully thematic idea! I'm picturing a PC defender giving orders to a couple of gruff gargoyles... And it works. It really does.

A question for you all: Do you think some or these Darkmantles should be trained not to attack certain defenders? I can imagine one of the vampires' servants (NPC beast trainer, I can roll him up myself) having trained them not to attack vampires... but other undead and werewolves are fair game.

Darkxarth
2007-10-27, 11:29 PM
Elven Sorcerer Vampire

Vaar Tosu'ul
Medium Undead
HD 3d12
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +10 (+6 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
AC 22 (+6 Dex, +6 Natural); touch 16; flat-footed 16
BAB +1; Grp +6
Attack: Slam +6 Melee (1d6+5, 20/x2)
Full-Attack: Slam +6 Melee (1d6+5)
Special Attacks: Blood Drain, Children of the Night, Dominate, Create Spawn, Energy Drain
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft, Alternate Form, Damage Reduction 10/silver and magic, Fast Healing 5, Gaseous Form, Cold Resistance 10, Electricity Resistance 10, Spider Climb, Undead Traits, +4 Turn Resistance
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 22, Con -, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 21
Skills: Bluff +16, Concentration +6, Hide +14, Listen +17, Move Silently +20, Search +13, Spellcraft +9, Spot +17
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Organization: Castle Defenders
Challenge Rating: ECL 11

Spells Known
Level 0 - Daze, Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Message, Touch of Fatigue
Level 1 - Obscuring Mist, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp

Not really enough gold to work with for items, probably a few potions/scrolls.

More to come.

EDIT:
Darkxarth, where are you when I'm DMing? Somehow I managed not to have that wonderfully thematic idea! I'm picturing a PC defender giving orders to a couple of gruff gargoyles... And it works. It really does.
I thought it was cool too, thanks! :smallcool:

A question for you all: Do you think some or these Darkmantles should be trained not to attack certain defenders? I can imagine one of the vampires' servants (NPC beast trainer, I can roll him up myself) having trained them not to attack vampires... but other undead and werewolves are fair game.

Go for it. Creates unknown tension between Vampires and Werewolves, and you could do cool things with a Beast Trainer as an underling. A couple of Hellhounds on fiery chains, released upon his enemies.

triforcel
2007-10-27, 11:31 PM
Shoot, ECL 11 is just too low to make a Vampire Werewolf.

Darkxarth
2007-10-27, 11:33 PM
Shoot, ECL 11 is just too low to make a Vampire Werewolf.

That character would probably be hated by Werewolves, Vampires, and Necromancers alike. They would not last long. But it would be pretty sweet.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 12:00 AM
Urg. I feel that there is something inherently wrong with creatures whose class levels are less than half of their level adjustment. The vampires probably still ARE that powerful, but it just feels... Like it's not ri- Hang on. -.- Of course this seems wrong to me. Vampires can't have less than 5 HD. Otherwise they'd be Vampire Spawn when they got turned. Okay... how to deal with this.

A) Arbitrarily rule that vampires get an ECL of 13 instead.
B) Increase the target ECL for all characters to 13.
C) Rule that vampires have to have at least 5 HD just because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense (and not tell my characters their level adjustment unless they actually ask).

Ummm. I pick C. Think you could advance that sorceress, Darkxarth?

On that note, I should also remind myself to use Vampire Spawn as defender underlings.

triforcel
2007-10-28, 12:06 AM
You forget D) As the DM rule that for this admittedly one shot campaign you can become a vampire with having less than five HD.

It's all up to you though.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 12:17 AM
True, but it just doesn't feel right. There's a reason behind the 5 HD thing, and it's a pretty obvious one. If you have low HD vampires, what you effectively create is a creature with very few hit dice and by implication hit points, but a huge collection of nasty special abilities. Now, the damage reduction would justify this to a considerable extent, and I'm still kind of feeling, you know, maybe.

But I think not. Not this time. When I want a one-use offensive character I'll remember this occurence and consider single-HD vampires, but I don't really want the characters to die THAT often.

Hits of above 10 points do happen sometimes. Even, concievably, with mindless undead. Though that would probably take a big two-handed weapon.

Gralamin
2007-10-28, 12:42 AM
May I suggest using these vampires? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3260251)

Darkxarth
2007-10-28, 12:52 AM
Ummm. I pick C. Think you could advance that sorceress, Darkxarth?

On that note, I should also remind myself to use Vampire Spawn as defender underlings.
Can do.

And also, you totally stole my idea. I was going to make a handful of generic Vampire Spawn. I probably will still make a couple copy/paste ones. Like "X Race Vampire Spawn" or "Archer Vampire Spawn" etc.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 01:16 AM
Thankee, Darkxarth. I'm going to have to officially thank you guys in front of my players before we start the game.

Also, thanks for the suggestion, Gralamin, but I think I'll stick with the book this time. I don't have the time or energy to ponder dramatic changes before Hallowe'en and I don't feel secure enough in my DMiness to mess around with the stats of creatures I haven't played with before. :smalltongue:

On that note, I am going to bed now to regenerate my brain. In the morning maybe I'll finish my second werewolf PC example (A dwarf-base monk. Why? Because I can.)

Darkxarth
2007-10-28, 10:37 AM
Advanced to level 5.

Elven Sorcerer Vampire

Vaar Tosu'ul
Medium Undead
HD 5d12
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +10 (+6 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
AC 22 (+6 Dex, +6 Natural); touch 16; flat-footed 16
BAB +2; Grp +7
Attack: Slam +7 Melee (1d6+5, 20/x2)
Full-Attack: Slam +7 Melee (1d6+5)
Special Attacks: Blood Drain, Children of the Night, Dominate, Create Spawn, Energy Drain
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft, Alternate Form, Damage Reduction 10/silver and magic, Fast Healing 5, Gaseous Form, Cold Resistance 10, Electricity Resistance 10, Spider Climb, Undead Traits, +4 Turn Resistance
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +9, Will +7
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 22, Con -, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 22
Skills: Bluff +22, Concentration +8, Hide +14, Listen +15, Move Silently +14, Search +13, Spellcraft +11, Spot +15
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Organization: Castle Defenders
Challenge Rating: ECL 13

Spells Known
Level 0 - Daze, Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Message, Read Magic, Touch of Fatigue
Level 1 - Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp
Level 2 - Invisibility, Spectral Hand

Spells Per Day
Level 0 - 6
Level 1 - 6 + 2
Level 2 - 4 + 2

Too lazy to do items but I'm going to say still pick up mostly scrolls and potions, maybe a few interesting Wondrous Items if you can afford it.

I'm still working on a couple of Underlings.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 11:33 AM
Thank you! Okay, I'll think up equips for... him, I guess?

That's a note. Can you guys let me know what gender the characters you come up with are? Thanks.

Darkxarth
2007-10-28, 11:43 AM
Thank you! Okay, I'll think up equips for... him, I guess?

Yeah, male.

Also, Vampire Spawn isn't really a template, it seems to just be a monster. Oh well, I guess I'll work on a Necromancer.

EDIT: Also, new question, do we make the Necromancer PCs ECL 11 or ECL 13?

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 11:59 AM
ECL 11. The vamps are the only ones who should be more than that.

playswithfire
2007-10-28, 12:28 PM
Just doing some stat rolls

or not doing them so well

characters probably a little later

playswithfire
2007-10-28, 12:30 PM
one last try at stats

ok, board roller isn't working

Darkxarth
2007-10-28, 01:54 PM
Lizardfolk Cleric of Semuanya
Nakk Skri'irt
Medium Humanoid
HD 10d8+30 (75)
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: -1
AC 20 (-1 Dex, +5 Natural, +4 Mithral Shirt, +2 Mithral Shield); touch 9; flat-footed 20
BAB +8/+3; Grp +9
Attack: MW Morningstar +10 Melee (1d8+2, 20/x2)
Full-Attack: MW Morningstar +10/+5 Melee (1d8+2) or 2 claws (1d4+2) and bite (1d4)
Special Attacks: Rebuke/Command Undead 9/day
Special Qualities: Hold Breath
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +8
Abilities: Str 13 (15), Dex 8, Con 17, Int 9, Wis 20, Cha 15
Skills: Balance +3, Concentration +14, Jump +10, Swim +5
Feats: Extra Turning, Improved Initiative, Improved Turning,
Organization: Necromancers

Domains: Plant and Animal

Spells Prepared (Default)
Level 0 - (Does it matter? Make them all Cure Minor Wounds I guess)
Level 1 - Cure Light Wounds (2), Shield of Faith +3, Hide from Undead (2)
Level 2 - Cure Moderate Wounds (2), Eagle's Splendor, Spiritual Weapon
Level 3 - Cure Serious Wounds (2), Searing Light (2)
Level 4 - Cure Critical Wounds (2), Divine Power

Domain 1 - Entangle
Domain 2 - Barkskin +3
Domain 3 - Dominate Animal (Could be used to wrest control of summoned [or called by a Vampire] animals, turning enemies into allies)
Domain 4 - Summon Nature's Ally (Since it's only animals I suggest summoning either a Giant Crocodile or 1d4+1 Wolverines from SNA II)

Cure instead of Inflict spells, since Inflict can be spontaneously cast.
Hide from Undead could act as Invisibility against the Vampires, and even against the non-intelligent undead hordes if they lose control.
Eagle's Splendor helps with Rebuke and Command Undead checks.
Spiritual Weapon overcomes Werewolf and Vampire DR.
Searing Light deals 8d6 damage against undead and 8d8 against Vampires.
Divine Power cast in conjunction with Spiritual Weapon and just beat up an enemy.

For level 4 I'd also consider Repel Vermin, given that Vampires can call bat swarms and rat swarms. And the Summon Monster spells can be good at any level, particularly when using a higher level Summon Monster to summon lower level monsters in groups.

Spells Per Day
Level 0 - 6
Level 1 - 4 + 2
Level 2 - 3 + 1
Level 3 - 3 + 1
Level 4 - 2 + 1

Items: Necklace of Fireballs V, Minor Circlet of Blasting 3d8 1/day (6d6 against undead and 6d8 against Vampires), Cloak of Resistance +2, Mithral Shirt, Mithral Heavy Shield, MW Morningstar, Elemental Gem of Fire, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Feather Token Whip, Pearl of Power (1st), Silversheen, Daggers, Silver Holy Symbol, Wooden Stakes (10), Garlic Clove Necklace, Small Box of Salt.

Whew, I didn't work out the last couple hundred gold pieces or so, but I'm sure the character has about 50 gp left if they want to pick up some rope or grappling hooks or something like that.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 03:59 PM
Wow. Fun. A necro cleric all decked out to hunt vamps.

One question, though, and let me know if I'm missing something... What's the box of salt for?

Serpent Stare
2007-10-28, 04:33 PM
Hey, if anyone either doesn't have easy access to dice rollers, or is rolling cruddy today, or whatever, here's a few ability roll sets that I just rolled up, with varying degrees of awesomeness.

Snatch one and build me a masterpiece. :smallbiggrin:

A: 12/12/14/14/16/17

B: 9/12/13/14/15/17

C: 8/9/15/15/15/17

D: 10/14/14/15/16/17

Darkxarth
2007-10-28, 04:56 PM
Wow. Fun. A necro cleric all decked out to hunt vamps.

One question, though, and let me know if I'm missing something... What's the box of salt for?

I thought there was some obscure "circle of salt" thing about Vampires. Hold on let me check...

EDIT: Negative. Neither in the d20 SRD, the Monster Manual, or even the Wikipedia. So, I guess he has dangerously low cholesterol?

triforcel
2007-10-29, 03:04 PM
I think the circle of salt is against witches.

Anyways, character i made.

Female Elven Vampire Monk
Medium Undead(Augmented Humanoid)
HD: 5d12 (38)
Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
Init: +10
AC: 29 (+6 Dex, +6 Wis, +6 Natural, +1 Inherent) Touch: 26 Flat: 21
BAB: 3 Grapple: +13
Attack: Unarmed Strike +9 Melee (2d6+6, 20/x2 + Energy Drain) or Slam +9 Melee (1d6+6 20/x2 + Energy Drain)
Full Attack: Unarmed Flurry +8/+8 (2d6+6 +Energy Drain)
Space: 5ft Reach: 5ft
Special Attacks: Blood Drain (Ex), Children of the Night (Su), Dominate (Su), Create Spawn (Su), Energy Drain (Su), Flurry of Blows, Stunning Fist 6/day DC 19
Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Su), Damage Reduction 10/silver and magic (Su), Fast Healing 5 (Ex), Gaseous Form (Su), Resistance to Cold and Electricity 10 (Ex), Spider Climb (Ex), Turn Resistance +4 (Ex), Elven Traits, Evasion (Ex), Still Mind(ex), Ki Strike (Magic)(Su), Slow Fall 20ft(Ex),Purity of Body(Ex)
Saves: Fort 4, Ref 12, Will 10
Abilities: Str22, Dex22, Con-, Int16, Wis20(22), Cha18
Skills: Balance 16, Bluff 12, Escape Artist 14, Hide 22, Jump 16, Listen 24, Move Silently 22,Search 11, Sense Motive 11, Spot 24, Tumble 16
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightening Reflexes, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist(DC 19), Deflect Arrows, Improved Natural Attack(Unarmed Strike)
Organization: Vampires
Challenge Rating: ECL 13
Items: Periapt of Wisdom (+2), Necklace of Fireballs III
650 Gold left

I've got a few more that I'm working with.

*edit* Forgot to add bonuses from Alertness and Lightening Reflexes
*edit* Redid Gold to level 5 character

Serpent Stare
2007-10-29, 04:38 PM
Well, there is an old myth that if you dump a bag of grain, or sand or something with lots of little grains on a vampire's doorstep he/she won't be able to walk inside until he/she has counted how many of them there are. Very good way to keep a vampire out until dawn. And watch it die in dawn's first light. :smallamused:

Edit:Keep 'em coming, guys! Two days left and that's it!

Also: A 5th level vampire with equipment for an 11th level character is not balanced, but seriously overpowered in this situation. 2d8 unarmed attack with the vampire's energy drain? Ouch, ouch, ouch. And 35 AC? Not a chance. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I wanted equipment value to be determined by class level, not ECL, for this game.
Do you think you can reassign her equipment? If not, I will.
Not to seem ungrateful or anything.
It's just too powerful.

2nd Edit: Low cholesterol. :smallbiggrin: Pfwahahahahaah! (laughs uncontrollably) Talk about a wierd character trait. Especially given that he's a lizardfolk. Salt would probably be bad for him. Dry up his scales or something. Still, it's worth a shot. Comedic relief roleplaying opportunity? You can bet on it.

triforcel
2007-10-29, 05:46 PM
Also: A 5th level vampire with equipment for an 11th level character is not balanced, but seriously overpowered in this situation. 2d8 unarmed attack with the vampire's energy drain? Ouch, ouch, ouch. And 35 AC? Not a chance. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I wanted equipment value to be determined by class level, not ECL, for this game.
Do you think you can reassign her equipment? If not, I will.
Not to seem ungrateful or anything.
It's just too powerful.

I thought it was a bit powerful too. I can fix the equipment up a bit later, but for now I have one for the Necromancer's side

Necromancer Half-Orc Blackguard Male
3 Paladin/8 Blackguard
HD: 11d10 + 55 (125)
Speed: 20ft [30ft](4 squares)
Init: +2
AC: 22 (+10 armor, +1 Dex, +1 Deflection) Flat: 21 Touch: 12
BAB: 11/6/1 Grapple: 16
Attack: +2 Undead Bane AS Greatsword +18 Melee (2d6+8, 19-20/x2) or +20 (4d6+10 19-20/x2) against undead
Full Attack: +2 Undead Bane AS Greatsword +18/13/8 (2d6+8, 19-20/x2) or +20/15/10 (4d6+10 19-20/x2) against undead
Space: 5ft Reach 5ft
Special Attacks: Smite Good 3/day, Sneak Attack +2d6
Special Qualities: Aura of Evil(Ex), Detect Good (Sp), Poison Use, Dark Blessing(Su), Command Undead (Su), Aura of Despair (Su), Lay on Hands, Fiendish Servant, DR 3/-, Darkvision 60 ft, Orc Blood
Saves: Fort 18, Ref 8, Will 10
Abilities: Str18(20), Dex14, Con18(20), Int12, Wis16, Cha14
Skills:Diplomacy 9, Hide 6, Jump 10, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) 6, Knowledge Religion 6, Ride 15, Sense Motive 11
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Cleave, Mounted Combat
CR: 11
Spells: Level 1 - Cause Fear, Cure Light Wounds, Summon Monster I
Level 2 - Shatter, Inflict Moderate Wounds
Level 3 - Cure Serious Wounds, Summon Monster III
Level 4 - Freedom of Movement
Items: +2 Dwarven Plate, +2 Undead Bane Alchemic Silver Greatsword, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Amulet of Health (+2), Cloak of Resistance (+2), Boots of Striding and Springing, Ring of Protection (+1), +1 Mithral Breastplate for Mount
1070 Gold left over

And his Fiendish Companion
Fiendish Heavy Warhorse
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast(ExtraPlanar)
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (37 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural, +6 Armor), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+4) and bite +1 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Smite Good 1/day
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Darkvision 60ft, DR 5/magic, Resistance to Cold and Fire 5, Spell Resistance 9, Improved Evasion, Empathic Link, Share Spells, Share Saving Throws
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +4
Feats: Endurance, Run, Improved Natural Armor

*edit* Put in the spells.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-29, 06:33 PM
Thanks a bunch, triforcel. Once the equips and spells are finished, I'll print them off. +2 undead bane alchemical silver greatsword... RUN AWAAAAY!!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, the undead bane is so, so good for this situation it's not even funny. I gave a "corpse" bane sword to a werewolf ranger (You do NOT want him tracking you, you WILL be found... unless you can trick him somehow) myself.

kme
2007-10-29, 06:53 PM
Don't forget that some templates don't have the same CR as LA (I think that vampires have CR +2 and LA +8). From your post I understood that all builds that you need are for encounters and NPCs, not for PCs, so many builds so far will be too weak as encounters. It may also happen that PCs end up too weak if they choose costly templates.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-29, 07:28 PM
Actually, most of the ones I need are for PCs, not NPCs, but I'm not worried about combat balance as much as roleplaying potential, because that's how my group leans.

triforcel
2007-10-29, 11:54 PM
I fixed up my last two entries and was extra careful on this one that should round out the set a bit.

Werewolf Human Rogue Male
Human Form
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 6d6+12 plus 2d8+8 (53)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+4 Dex, +2 Natural Armor, +5 Armor) Flat: 17 Touch: 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+10
Attack: +11 +1 Silver Rapier (1d6+2, 18-20/x2)
Full Attack: +9/+4 +1 Silver Rapier (1d6+2, 18-20/x2) and +9 +1 Silver Shortsword(1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Curse of Lycanthropy (Su), Sneak Attack 3d6
Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Su), DR 10/silver (Ex), Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex), Low-Light Vision (Ex), Scent (Ex), Evasion (Ex), Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Trapfinding, Trap Sense (+2)
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Balance 15, Diplomacy 11, Disable Device 12, Escape Artist 13, Hide 13, Listen 10, Move Silently 13, Open Lock 13, Search 12, Sense Motive 10, Slight of Hand 13, Spot 10, Tumble 16
Feats: Track, Weapon Focus(Bite), Combat Reflexes, Quick Draw, Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting
Environment: That creepy castle inhabited by werewolves
Organization: Verevulves
Challenge Rating: 8

Hybrid Form
Initiative: +6
Armor Class: 20 (+6 Dex, +4 Natural Armor) Flat: 14 Touch: 16
Attack: +11 +1 Silver Rapier (1d6+2, 18-20/x2) or Bite +11 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: +9/+4 +1 Silver Rapier (1d6+2, 18-20/x2) and +9 +1 Silver Shortsword(1d6+2, 19-20/x2) or Bite +11 melee (1d6+4)
Special Attacks: Curse of Lycanthropy (Su)
Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Su), DR 10/silver (Ex), Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex), Low-Light Vision (Ex), Scent (Ex), Evasion (Ex), Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Trapfinding, Trap Sense (+2)
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +3
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 22, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Balance 17, Diplomacy 11, Disable Device 12, Escape Artist 15, Hide 15, Listen 10, Move Silently 15, Open Lock 15, Search 12, Sense Motive 10, Slight of Hand 15, Spot 10, Tumble 18
Feats: Track, Weapon Focus(Bite), Combat Reflexes, Quick Draw, Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting

Animal Form
Initiative: +6
Armor Class: 20 (+6 Dex, +4 Natural Armor) Flat: 14 Touch: 16
Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d6+4)
Special Attacks: Trip, Curse of Lycanthropy (Su)
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +14, Will +3
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 22, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Same as Hybrid Form
Feats: Same as Human Form

Items: +1 Mithral Shirt, +1 Silver Rapier, +1 Silver Shortsword, Slippers of Spider Climb, Cloak of Resistance
360 gold left over

That should be right, but if you need anything changed I should be able do get it done before 12 Eastern on Wednesday.

Darkxarth
2007-10-30, 09:44 AM
Rolf

Werewolf Gnome Barbarian Male
Gnome Form
Size/Type: Small Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 6d12+30 plus 2d8+10 (88)
Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 20 (+1 Dex, +1 Size, +3 Natural Armor, +5 Armor) Flat: 19 Touch: 12
Base Attack, Grapple: +7/+2, +5
Attack: +12 +1 Greataxe 1d10+4
Full Attack: +12/+7 +1 Greataxe 1d10+4
Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Su), Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex), Low-Light Vision (Ex), Scent (Ex), Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Rage 2/day (Ex), Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Fast Movement (Ex), Trap Sense +2 (Ex)
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +7, Will +7
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 20, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +11, Handle Animal +7, Jump +11, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Swim +11
Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Greataxe), Cleave, Iron Will, Track, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Environment: Castle
Organization: Werewolves
ECL: 11

Hybrid Form
Initiative: +3
Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Natural Armor) Flat: 15 Touch: 14
Base Attack, Grapple: +7/+2, +6
Attack: +13 +1 Greataxe 1d10+5
Full Attack: +13/+8 +1 Greataxe 1d10+5 or +11 Javelin of Lightning 5d6 (DC 14 Ref half)
Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Su), DR 10/silver (Ex), Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex), Low-Light Vision (Ex), Scent (Ex), Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Rage 2/day (Ex), Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Fast Movement (Ex), Trap Sense +2 (Ex)
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 17, Con 24, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +12, Handle Animal +7, Jump +12, Listen +6, Swim +12
Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Greataxe), Cleave, Iron Will, Track, Weapon Focus (Bite)

Animal Form
Initiative: +3
Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Natural Armor) Flat: 15 Touch: 14
Base Attack, Grapple: +7/+2, +6
Attack: +13 Bite 1d6+3
Full Attack: +13/+8 Bite 1d6+3
Special Attacks: Curse of Lycanthropy (Su), Trip (Ex)
Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Su), DR 10/silver (Ex), Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex), Low-Light Vision (Ex), Scent (Ex), Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Rage 2/day (Ex), Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex), Fast Movement (Ex), Trap Sense +2 (Ex)
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 17, Con 24, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Same as Hybrid Form
Feats: Same as Gnome Form

Items: +1 Mithral Shirt, +1 Greataxe, Amulet of Natural Armor +1, Cloak of Resistance +1, Brooch of Shielding, Boots of Elvenkind, 1 Javelin of Lightning
80 gold left over

Despite the greater armor in Gnome form, Rolf usually stays a Hybrid. He prefers the muscles and power of that form to his weak Gnome body. He's more than slightly crazy, and when he rages, he often attacks friends if he runs out of enemies.

He saves his rage for big enemies, like a Necromancer in person. He'll open with the Javelin, if he's still got it, then rage if they're still standing. He hacks away with his Greataxe, ignoring injuries. He won't stop fighting until he can't draw breath any more. This makes him a great tool to be used by wiser, more cunning Werewolves or Vampires.

I think that's all correct, I hope it works with the other characters. I might get the chance to do another one or two, but it doesn't seem likely.

Good luck and have fun tomorrow.

Serpent Stare
2007-10-30, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys, this is awesome. I haven't finished actually designing the castle yet (urg, so many distractions!) but I will. All your characters are awesome, and the NPC suggestions, characters and examples are much appreciated.

My mind is caught in the details and how this that and the other thing either does or doesn't make sense.

Now that I actually think about it, the Darkmantles probably won't be much good for damaging anyone except those on the necro team who get in somehow. Both vamps and werewolves have damage reduction it can't get past. Still, wrapping around someone's head WILL cause them trouble if they have ANYTHING else to worry about, so that might still be worth something.

Rationalization for werewolves and vamps on the same side: The vampires technically rule the castle, even though the werewolves are probably more powerful. How? Vampires are hellishly difficult to kill, especially when their coffins are well hidden, yes? Well the crypt these PC vampires have is built to be just about impossible for anyone but a vampire to access. I'm thinking locked and trapped doors (with little gaps in them), corridors coated with contact poison on every surface (undead, vamps included, are immune to poison), and at the end of it all... No door. Just a few very small holes in the wall through which air (or a vampire in gaseous form) can flow. And probably some burning incense on the other side of it to drift out as an inhaled poison.

So, basically, they work together because the werewolves can't kill the vampires (they're too hard to get to) and the vampires can't kill the werewolves (they're too strong, and far too useful to just kill - they can be outside and even change during the day, among other things).

Now, here's my current PC character selection:
Werewolves:
Cleo (ranger I made),
Seth (the dwarf monk I made),
~Unnamed~ (werewolf rogue done by triforcel),
Rolf (psychotic barbarian gnome done by Darthxarth).

Vampires:
Vaar Tosu'ul (sorcerer done by Darkxarth),
Nepenthe (a classy and tragic cleric done by Runolfr),
~Unnamed~ (monk done by triforcel).

Necromancers:
Wulfgreind Bledlock (duergar wizard I made),
Nakk Skri'irt (lizardfolk with low cholesterol done by Darkxarth),
Periodic Baggee (nasty and mischievious halfling sorcerer done by triforcel),
~Unnamed~ (halforcish blackguard and his horse done by triforcel),

Thanks a bundle, you two! :smallbiggrin:

I am planning on doing a Necro myself, who specializes in chance (rod of wonder, bag of tricks, luck domain and a couple other fun things if I can), but that still leaves the vampires a little short. Is there anyone else out there who can make me one more today? If not, I'll try to do that too. Looking good. All this is looking very good.

Happy Hallowe'en!!!!!

Runolfr
2007-10-30, 02:22 PM
How's this?

Nepenthe - Female Vampire Human Cleric 5

Strength 16 (+3)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution --- [undead]
Intelligence 11 (+0)
Wisdom 20 (+5)
Charisma 19 (+4)

Domains: Chaos, Death
Total Hit Points: 28
Armor Class: 25 = 10 +6 [chainmail +1] +2 [lt steel shield +1] +1 [dexterity] +6 [vampire]

Initiative modifier: +5
Fortitude save: +5
Reflex save: +5
Will save: +10

Attack: +6 = 3 [BAB] +3 [strength]
Damage: Silver sickle +1 [1d6+1, crit x2, 2 lb, light, slashing]

Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Extra Turning, Improved Initiative, Improved Turning, Lightning Reflexes, Craft Wondrous Item.

Skills: Bluff +12, Concentration +9, Diplomacy +6, Heal +7, Hide +9, Knowledge (arcana) +2, Knowledge (history) +2, Knowledge (religion)* +6, Listen +15, Move Silently +9, Search +8, Sense Motive +13, Spellcraft +5, Spot +15.

Rebuke Undead (11x/day)

*Know Religion ranks give +2 on turn/rebuke the undead

Items: Silver sickle +1, chainmail +1, lt steel shield +1, wand of cure moderate wounds, pearl of power (level 1), cloak of resistance +1.

Once a devoted (if not excessively smart) follower of the light and dedicated foe of the undead, Nepenthe was captured and turned by one of the foes she sought to lay to rest when she underestimated the vampire's power. Now dedicated to darkness, disorder, and undeath, she easily uses the knowledge she possessed in life to rally other undead to her cause.

Darkxarth
2007-10-30, 08:04 PM
Halfling Sorcerer
Periadoc Baggee
Small Humanoid
HD 11d4+33 (60)
Speed: 20ft. (4 squares)
Init: +5
AC 16 (+1 Size, +5 Dex); touch 16; flat-footed 11
BAB +5; Grp +2
Attack:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +11
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +19, Concentration +17, Knowledge (Arcana) +17, Move Silently +7, Ride +12, Spellcraft +17
Feats: Weapon Focus (Ray), Spell Focus (Necromancy), Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy), Improved Familiar

Spells Known
Level 0 - Disrupt Undead, Touch of Fatigue, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights
Level 1 - Expeditious Retreat, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Shield, Ray of Enfeeblement
Level 2 - Command Undead, Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray, Web, Mirror Image
Level 3 - Halt Undead, Fly, Major Image, Dispel Magic
Level 4 - Animate Dead, Enervation, Greater Invisibility
Level 5 - Wall of Force, Telekinesis

Mage Armor and Shield are a couple of cheap ways to boost AC by 8 for most, if not all, of the encounter.
Command Undead only works on one Undead at a time, but it's a good fallback for having too many Undead.
Telekinesis can be used to "hurl one object or creature per caster level [...] toward any target within 10 feet per level of all the objects." I'm thinking a bucket of wooden stakes to use as ammo against a Vampire or two.

Spells Per Day
Level 0 - 6
Level 1 - 6 + 2
Level 2 - 6 + 1
Level 3 - 6 + 1
Level 4 - 6 + 1
Level 5 - 4 + 1

Items: Cloak of Charisma +4, Deck of Illusions, Necklace of Fireballs VII, Onyx Dog, Wand of Searing Light (lv 6, 50 charges), Scroll of Knock, Scroll of Protection of Arrows, Scroll of Telekinesis (2), 1600 gp worth of Black Onyx stones for Animate Dead.

525 gp remaining, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Familiar Quasit: Hc'tib
Size/Type: Tiny Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil)
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 50 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-6
Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d3-1 plus poison)
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d3-1 plus poison) and bite +3 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Alternate form, damage reduction 5/cold iron or good, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 2, immunity to poison, resistance to fire 10
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Bluff +6, Diplomacy +2, Disguise +0 (+2 acting), Hide +17, Intimidate +2, Knowledge (any one) +6, Listen +7, Move Silently +9, Search +6, Spellcraft +6, Spot +6
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
Organization: Periadoc's Familiar
Challenge Rating: 2

Periadoc is a cruel trickster, and would just as soon take a break to screw with an enemy (or even teammate) than battle. Of course, when it comes to an actual fight he doesn't mess around. His favorite spells are Acid Arrow (because it continues to cause pain even after he's moved on), Enervation, and Telekinesis. He starts the battle by hopping on his Onyx Dog, Gipper, and casting Improved Invisibility on the two of them. He may also decide to animate some of the corpses he's prepared. If something happens to Gipper, he uses Fly to escape the enemy, and uses Scorching Ray and Acid Arrow from the sky. Hctib scouts around (usually invisible himself) and reports to Periadoc whenever he sees his master.

Whew, I think that'll do it. I hope that works well for you, now I want to play this character... :smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

Serpent Stare
2007-10-30, 09:33 PM
Wow! Fantastic! This plus the necro of mine (who turned out to be a wizard) makes 11 characters, and much more even team distribution! That's great!

This is going to be an utterly awesome game. And I owe it all to you!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Darthxarth, go be Periadoc. Enjoy himself.

Darkxarth
2007-10-30, 11:26 PM
Wow! Fantastic! This plus the necro of mine (who turned out to be a wizard) makes 11 characters, and much more even team distribution! That's great!

This is going to be an utterly awesome game. And I owe it all to you!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Darthxarth, go be Periadoc. Enjoy himself.

Good! Glad you've got a decent set of characters to use. I hope you and your friends enjoy yourselves.

I copied Periadoc's post and pasted it into a Word file. Next time I play an ECL 11 game... :belkar:

Serpent Stare
2007-10-31, 12:05 AM
Next time you play an ECL 11 game, /Belkar/.
Yeah, pretty close, from the look of things.
Oh, and I should mention that the psychotic gnome werewolf barbarian you drew up for me may be a PERFECT character for Bobby if he ends up playing as him.
His first character was a psychotic gnome (cleric, but he only ever cast one spell - mending), and he always identifies as that character for the sake of game-oriented banter, etc. Even though "Gimli" the gnome was very short-lived.

triforcel
2007-10-31, 06:38 AM
I was glad to help. Have fun tonight.

Runolfr
2007-11-01, 10:16 AM
STORY!

Let's here how it went.

Runolfr
2007-11-02, 08:38 AM
*bump*

How'd it go? Who died? Or re-died?

Darkxarth
2007-11-02, 08:41 AM
Yes, yes! Inquiring minds want to know!

Runolfr
2007-11-05, 09:49 AM
Come on, Serpent Stare!

Story!

Serpent Stare
2007-11-06, 10:41 AM
Pardon me. I just answered this, twice, in great detail, but it took me so long that by the time I'd finished I was no longer logged in and lost the response. I promise I'll write from home. (And remember to copy my answer onto a booping wordpad file before I submit it)

I can offer you the SHORT version, though. Three players. Three characters. None had time to die. In fact, the attackers didn't get through the front door of the carefully designed two-floor castle before all but one had to leave. He didn't because we were playing at his house. It was fun, but I was a little disappointed. More detailed version later.

Darkxarth
2007-11-06, 10:51 AM
Pardon me. I just answered this, twice, in great detail, but it took me so long that by the time I'd finished I was no longer logged in and lost the response. I promise I'll write from home. (And remember to copy my answer onto a booping wordpad file before I submit it)

I can offer you the SHORT version, though. Three players. Three characters. None had time to die. In fact, the attackers didn't get through the front door of the carefully designed two-floor castle before all but one had to leave. He didn't because we were playing at his house. It was fun, but I was a little disappointed. More detailed version later.

I hate when that happens, a carefully built and laid out oneshot, ruined by real-life circumstances. If I were you, I'd save all of that material and intersperse it into your other games. Or just run it again next Halloween if you can.

OR, you could run it here on the GitP boards, if you feel up to running a PbP.

Serpent Stare
2007-11-06, 05:20 PM
That's actually what I was going to do, didn't I say tha... Oh, right, it didn't get posted properly. Well, I have already committed myself to the idea. Since they didn't get inside, and I know Jake didn't take a very close look at the layout of the castle (apart from the crypts, which I was feeling too evilly clever about to keep from showing off to him), I'm planning on using it sometime in the future. No time soon, naturally. Wait until they develop the sense to use it a little better.

Similarly, if they ever do keep a bunch of characters alive until level 11, I will have a villain or two to dredge up from this experiment and pull out.

Hmmm... Play it on GitP? It might be possible, but it'd be hard to pull off, being primarily a battle situation and thus heavy on the die rolls.

Anyway, now that I have the time (and am not using a public computer, so I'm "permanently" signed in), I can tell you a little of what did happen.

Fragments of a Roleplayer's World

Each player chose his first (and only, as it turned out) "side": Werewolf, necromancer, or vampire. Then they were presented with cards, the names of the characters on the side they'd chosen on the face-down side, a symbol filled with one of many colors turned up. Having gotten their character's name, I handed them their sheets to look over.

Jake, electing to play a vampire, got Nepenthe. He read the first line and shrieked, "WHAT!?!" It was a hilarious moment. He didn't end up doing very well roleplaying a lady, unfortunately. Not ready for the challenge yet. Oh, well.

Sky got Wulfgreind Bledlock, my duergar wizard necromancer.

Bobby got Ganugan Qwesith, triforcel's half-orc blackguard.

The next hour or so was spent in making sure everyone understood their characters' abilities and traits. Sky took the templates I handed him and picked out the collection of undead he wanted to start with: 1 ogre zombie, 3 arrowhawk zombies, 2 human zombies, 3 wolf skeletons, 4 elf skeletons. The players taunted each other with threats of inevitable doom at each other's hands.

We also spent some time as a group considering why the heck Nepenthe had, as part of her equipment, a wand of cure moderate wounds. Being undead, it would damage her, but still heal anyone likely to be an opponent. Apart from other undead, which she could just as easily rebuke. I suspect a temporary lapse of reasoning.

Ganugan and Wulfgreind started play camped about a mile or two away from the castle, making invasion plans. Or, rather, not. My players are not completely devoid of strategy, but their strategies are rarely intelligent ones in light of the circumstance, when they choose to strategize at all. Ganugan asked Wulfgreind (with the appropriate disdain of an evil basher for a caster) whether he had a weapon himself. Enter: Rod of Wonder. Wulfgreind decided to try it out on a tree to demonstrate and peppered its bark with gems.
Quote one of my players:
"Oh, don't cross him, he'll make you rich."

At the castle, Nepenthe was up this evening from her place in the crypt and was approached by a wight scout, who told her a bunch of undead were camped not far away and asked what defenses she suggested. After a little hemming and hawing, and explaining on my part, she settled for getting together the defenders and having them guard the courtyard. A single gargoyle reported and flew off to circle the battlements more or less on its own whim. Nepenthe armored a couple of vampire spawn as her personal bodyguards and waited in the foyer.

Wulfgreind's minions set off for the castle, the arrowhawks flying to circle around and attack anything they saw, the rest simply heading toward the main gate to take it by force. A couple of ghoul strike teams were given code names and promptly forgotten, which is, in part, my fault as well. Ganugan rode after them, carrying Wulfgreind along on his horse. They got into a minor argument. The dwarf was left behind to walk, but did so so slowly that Ganugan got impatient and let him ride again.

At the gate, the necromancers spent what I am certain must have been a good half hour trying to break down the iron portcullis (as the first defeated arrowhawk fell from the sky) before I finally broke down and asked them why for goodness sake they didn't try lifting it. They did. It worked. However, the portcullis got stuck about half way up on the big dent the ogre zombie had already managed to put in it. What the hell, it kept the thing from falling back down.

The necromancers invaded the spawn-packed courtyard! There followed a battle with so many mindless underlings that had to move every turn that I nearly cried with the frustration of looking through papers for attack bonuses and ACs. The players helped me out, running the mindless undead for me, though I did occasionally have to remind them that skeletons were not smart enough to deliberately move to avoid attacks of opportunity or flank an opponent. They can, however, take attacks of opportunity, unless I am much mistaken. The ogre zombie did so, and sent one aggressive vampire spawn flying backwards through the air to crash against the castle's front door. It was the first moment of the battle agreed by all to have been truly dramatically excellent.

Right before his character's first turn in actual battle, Bobby had to leave. Ain't that always the way. That left me with the two veteran players I always game with, Jake and Sky.

A lion was summoned from Wulfgreind's tan bag of tracks and helped in the fight, but was brought down before long. He also summoned a Shadow Mastiff.

After two exhausting rounds of the fight, Nepenthe got tired of waiting for the fight to come to her and flung open the doors to actively take part. The flinging open of the doors also sent the above mentioned vampire spawn flying again, to everyone's amusement.

Nepenthe used a turning check to take over (command) all of Wulfgreind's skeletons, turning the layout of the battle distinctly in her favor. Her underlings, new and old, completely surrounded Ganugan, who had charged in and was now facing great difficulty.

Wulfgreind fixed that situation with one well-placed Shout spell. All the skeletons were immediately destroyed, one of Nepenthe's faithful bodyguards got "poofed" (automatic gaseous form retreat), and Ganugan's horse was knocked unconscious, much to his dismay.

At the premature end of the battle, Nepenthe had fled back in through the door and was clinging to the inside wall, as was her remaining bodyguard. Wulfgreind had been roughed up quite a bit, and Sky suspected he'd lose the fight. Ganugan hadn't been hit much, but had to magically tend to his horse to circumvent its death by bleeding from the ears.

~~~~~

Between Wulfgreind and Nepenthe, I honestly don't know who would have been the eventual winner. If Sky had chosen to go on the offensive and drive him back, his character might have managed to poof her. If so, and if he was being much more clever than usual, he might have been able to get into the crypt and actually kill her. (duergar immunity to poison, Dimension Door, etc. etc. The possibility was somewhat intentional in the character design) Of course, then he'd be surrounded by a bunch of other cold sleepers and that'd be a whole other realm of trouble.

So, yeah. That's what happened. The players had fun, as they always do. The reason they didn't really get far was mostly because of time spent, inevitably, in off-topic conversation that always distract me, time spent doing things the dumb way (it happens. Quite often, with us, it seems), and time spent roleplaying.

By the way, I think I'll open up another threat asking for advice on ways of encouraging the development not only of character, but player intelligence and game cunning. Hopefully with some subtlety. I'd appreciate your comments. I love the guys and their roleplaying, but they can be really stupid sometimes when it comes to gaming common sense.

Runolfr
2007-11-06, 06:01 PM
We also spent some time as a group considering why the heck Nepenthe had, as part of her equipment, a wand of cure moderate wounds. Being undead, it would damage her, but still heal anyone likely to be an opponent. Apart from other undead, which she could just as easily rebuke. I suspect a temporary lapse of reasoning.

That would be because I mistakenly assigned the wrong booping item, actually. It was supposed to be a wand of cause moderate wounds.