View Full Version : So I want to play Megaman

el minster
2020-06-12, 09:44 PM
I'm thinking warforged warlock, but I need advice.

Rynjin
2020-06-12, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking warforged warlock, but I need advice.

Any chance 3rd party Pathfinder content is available. Because Spheres of Power has the Blaster Armorist. (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/blaster)

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-12, 10:29 PM
So you want a modular blaster with different effects?

Xaotiq1
2020-06-12, 11:38 PM
This may be relevant to your interests. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?309629-Video-Game-characters-in-D-amp-D&p=16246615#post16246615)

Zaq
2020-06-13, 12:23 AM
Ah, Mega Man. Possibly my favorite game series ever, for all the crap I give it.

What elements of Mega Man are important to you? Because we can get you an arm cannon pretty easily (one word: SOULBOW. You can even charge it up.), but stealing enemies' powers is remarkably challenging in D&D and will probably require coordination with your GM.

StSword
2020-06-13, 03:57 AM
Ah, Mega Man. Possibly my favorite game series ever, for all the crap I give it.

What elements of Mega Man are important to you? Because we can get you an arm cannon pretty easily (one word: SOULBOW. You can even charge it up.), but stealing enemies' powers is remarkably challenging in D&D and will probably require coordination with your GM.

Pathfinder is a bit more lenient in that regard, like with the Battle Augur (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/samurai-sheepdog/battle-augur/) class, the bio-mancer class, a mirror psion archetype, and an arcanist archetype.

For those looking going another way, someone made a book a megaman inspired book for starfinder, in which the arm is an item-8-Bit Adventures - Awesome Androids.

For d20 modern someone made a Sylar inspired Powerphage, which could be adapted I figure, just ignore the whole brain eating fluff....

Uncle Pine
2020-06-13, 06:06 AM
Combining Warlock with the Sculpt Self feat (Dragon #304) can provide that "blue mage" feeling without resorting to spellcasting and/or conventional crafting: whenever you see a monster with a cool ability you want, you just go meditating and spend xp to acquire a custom "prestige racial modification" that does exactly that. Do note that while xp is a river, since rivers don't flow istantaneously this will work better in mid to long campaigns where you'll have the chance to actually catch up on the xp payments.

EDIT: Spellthief (Complete Adventurer) and Hellbreaker (Fiendish Codex II) are more classic ways to steal your opponents' cool abilities: Spellthief grabs spells, spell effects, energy/spell resistence, and spell-like abilities, while Hellbreaker steals spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities (!).

Ramza00
2020-06-13, 02:13 PM
Pathfinder is a bit more lenient in that regard, like with the mirror psion archetype

What is this?

Zaq
2020-06-13, 04:19 PM
Hmm. The rest of it doesn't fit too well, but the sha'ir (Dragon Compendium) does get to retrieve and cast spells they don't know but that they have "seen and identified."

StSword
2020-06-13, 05:01 PM
What is this?

The Mirrormind archetype from the book of beyond: liminal power.

The premise of the book is that supernatural power has distinct origins-arcane, divine, psychic, entropic (like Binders), etc.

Mirrorminds can choose one of those origins and spend power points to duplicate their effects when used in their premise.

As you advance in levels the Mirrormind can choose additional origins and a limited ability (9 abilities total, one for each power level) to retain these emulated powers indefinitely.

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-13, 05:21 PM
Combining Warlock with the Sculpt Self feat (Dragon #304) can provide that "blue mage" feeling without resorting to spellcasting and/or conventional crafting: whenever you see a monster with a cool ability you want, you just go meditating and spend xp to acquire a custom "prestige racial modification" that does exactly that. Do note that while xp is a river, since rivers don't flow istantaneously this will work better in mid to long campaigns where you'll have the chance to actually catch up on the xp payments.

EDIT: Spellthief (Complete Adventurer) and Hellbreaker (Fiendish Codex II) are more classic ways to steal your opponents' cool abilities: Spellthief grabs spells, spell effects, energy/spell resistence, and spell-like abilities, while Hellbreaker steals spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities (!).

Can you steal spells with eldritch blast and then take master spellthief to stack warlock and spellthief levels for the strength of spells you cast?

Zaq
2020-06-13, 06:37 PM
Can you steal spells with eldritch blast and then take master spellthief to stack warlock and spellthief levels for the strength of spells you cast?

You steal spells with any sneak attack, so as long as you can get an opponent denied their DEX for your eldritch blast, yeah, that works.

As for Master Spellthief, that's very much "ask your GM" territory, but I believe that by RAW the answer is no, since I don't think that a warlock counts as an "arcane spellcaster." (Arcane yes, spellcaster no.) But then, the definition of "spellcaster" is implied in a lot of places and not really outright stated to the extent that it should be.

Of course, even if you can, that just revives the eternal Master Spellthief debate about "max level of spells you can steal" vs. "max levels of spells you can hold," so it's a whole can of worms.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-13, 10:02 PM
If you're going warlock, make sure to get rid of your body armor due to the arcane spell failure it gives. You can burn a feat for this (not recommended) or you can take the dragonborn template (which is definitely recommended). Yeah, you'll look like a robotic dragon-man (is this actually considered a downside? By anyone?) but you'll keep basically everything but your body armor (+light fortification) and your slam attack.

el minster
2020-06-13, 11:11 PM

First what's a soulbow, second I pretty much figuered out stealing powers was not an option, but I can do fire and acid easily but I need help emulating other powers/ abilities. Third warforged or warforged scout?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-13, 11:23 PM
Soulbow is a prestige class in Complete Psionic for the soulknife (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm). It lets you fire magical arrows made of psionic energy and is considered one of the few ways to make a soulknife usable.

Buufreak
2020-06-13, 11:32 PM
Rock, X, Trigger (Volnutt), Juno, .exe, Star, or something else entirely?

el minster
2020-06-13, 11:43 PM
Rock, X, Trigger (Volnutt), Juno, .exe, Star, or something else entirely?

Please explain this.

Rynjin
2020-06-13, 11:46 PM
Please explain this.

There's a bunch of Megaman variants, and they're all different.

Rockman would most likely be the one you're referring to, though.

el minster
2020-06-13, 11:52 PM
Yeah, his name is rock and he has blue armor?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-13, 11:57 PM
If you want to know more about the various Mega Mans (Mega Men?) check here (https://youtu.be/10_Oz1Csi_Q?t=33).

el minster
2020-06-14, 12:01 AM
If you want to know more about the various Mega Mans (Mega Men?) check here (https://youtu.be/10_Oz1Csi_Q?t=33).

cool, but back to the task at hand, how to make rock?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-14, 12:22 AM
cool, but back to the task at hand, how to make rock?See, when an XBOX and a Playstation love each other very much...

Buufreak
2020-06-14, 11:22 AM
Please explain this.

The name "megaman" is vague and ambiguous. Hell, there is an episode of south park where for cartman's birthday he wants the red, blue, and yellow megaman toys because they combine into the ultra mega megaman.

I ask because pretty much each one has a unique power set. Trigger doesn't even pick up enemy skills, just has a replaceable right arm for grafting (using the dnd term here) alternate weapons such as a cannon, land mines, even a sword. He's also considered one of the weakest.

SangoProduction
2020-06-14, 11:33 AM
How to play Megaman, using Spheres of Power:
Race: Warforged
Class: Incanter (Alternatively: Blaster Armorist)

Spheres of Focus: Alteration, Destruction

Alteration to take on the forms, versions and physical powers or whatever, and Destruction for your different blaster augmentations. (With the range of Destruction going from landmines to regular ol' blaster bolts to fireballs to a "sword" and an elemental aura.)

At least, that's all I really personally know of Megaman.

stack
2020-06-14, 12:14 PM
Mimic prodigy can copy talents from others.

Buufreak
2020-06-14, 01:06 PM
cool, but back to the task at hand, how to make rock?

Sure thing. Rock, canonically, held a collapsing castle over his head, weighing 60 tons, or 120000 lbs. To achieve that, you are going to need a strength of at least 70, more if you are going with the scout (which is reasonable, considering Rock stands only at 4'4").

As others have mentioned above, I honestly think Sha'ir is the best way to go about doing the adaptive weaponry system. You see a thing, you make a skill check, from now on you can copy it. Simple as that. It allows the copying of any spell, arcane or divine. Just make sure to pump the living hell out of spellcraft.

I guess there is an argument for wanting to take armored caster for the sake of his plating. Living constructs come with built in ASF, right?

Last thing you need is that sweet ass slide move. Oriental Adventures introduced the ability to take a 10 foot step instead of 5 with a tumble check of 40. Tumble, slide, same/diff. There is also the wrestling dummy that lets you gain the same bonus indefinitely. Now, arguing with your DM if each is a +5 or each is a x2 is up to you, so you can end up with a 15 ft or 20 ft slide, depending.

That about covers it. Rock is actually fairly boring, comparatively. Unless you want a dope dog that can fuse with you to make a jetpack. Not entirely sure how to go about that one. Probably some sort of symbiote.

Edit: Damnit, I knew I was forgetting something. Isn't there some feat that lets you drastically boost CL for short bursts? You'll need that to replicate the ability to charge any of the spells you steal. Because when in doubt, cast it with a higher CL than your opponents, because bigger boom. Always bigger boom.

Zaq
2020-06-14, 07:38 PM
Sure thing. Rock, canonically, held a collapsing castle over his head, weighing 60 tons, or 120000 lbs. To achieve that, you are going to need a strength of at least 70, more if you are going with the scout (which is reasonable, considering Rock stands only at 4'4").

As others have mentioned above, I honestly think Sha'ir is the best way to go about doing the adaptive weaponry system. You see a thing, you make a skill check, from now on you can copy it. Simple as that. It allows the copying of any spell, arcane or divine. Just make sure to pump the living hell out of spellcraft.

I guess there is an argument for wanting to take armored caster for the sake of his plating. Living constructs come with built in ASF, right?

Last thing you need is that sweet ass slide move. Oriental Adventures introduced the ability to take a 10 foot step instead of 5 with a tumble check of 40. Tumble, slide, same/diff. There is also the wrestling dummy that lets you gain the same bonus indefinitely. Now, arguing with your DM if each is a +5 or each is a x2 is up to you, so you can end up with a 15 ft or 20 ft slide, depending.

That about covers it. Rock is actually fairly boring, comparatively. Unless you want a dope dog that can fuse with you to make a jetpack. Not entirely sure how to go about that one. Probably some sort of symbiote.

Edit: Damnit, I knew I was forgetting something. Isn't there some feat that lets you drastically boost CL for short bursts? You'll need that to replicate the ability to charge any of the spells you steal. Because when in doubt, cast it with a higher CL than your opponents, because bigger boom. Always bigger boom.

One might argue that Rock wasn't holding the ENTIRE castle, just an extraordinarily crucial section of it. So, you know, pump K: Architecture and Engineering and maybe you could get away with, like, 45 STR.

el minster
2020-06-14, 07:54 PM
probably taking mithril body because it couts as light armour and hey +5 armour bonus.

Fizban
2020-06-14, 08:32 PM
I pretty much figuered out stealing powers was not an option, but I can do fire and acid easily but I need help emulating other powers/ abilities. Third warforged or warforged scout?
Depends on what you mean by "stealing powers." There are plenty of temporary steal or mimic abilities, but the mega mans don't just use it once or twice and lose it.

To get a permanent ability from defeating a powerful enemy, take a look at DMG2, specifically the Bonded Magic Items section starting on page 231. It's a simple system that lets anyone "craft" a magic item by performing a ceremony, after doing something significant- where many of the events are are just "strike the killing blow on an enemy with CR 2 higher than your level," and the "ceremonies" are just spending X amount of time praying/meditating/etc and paying the standard gp and xp cost you'd use if you were crafting normally.

How does this make you a mega man? Well you kill a boss monster, then add an ability to your item which is themed based on the monster you just defeated. For a Warlock, you could be adding the effects of any of the various items that power up Eldritch Blast (all of which are reprinted in Magic Item Compendium IIRC), or the Rod of Eldritch Power (Complete Mage) which lets you use an eldritch essence or blast shape 5/day. And of course there are all sorts of items that can produce the different armor effects found in the series.

The only downsides are that DMG2 doesn't have very many example bonding rituals, and it says that you can only have one item. But there's no reason you couldn't add more effects to that item by paying the "normal" price increases for extra effects and unusual slots, unless the DM says no. And the bonding rituals are so simple a DM should be able to make them up on the spot. And a DM could also just ignore the one item limit because it has little or no purpose and lets you make the character you want.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-14, 08:41 PM
Mega Man is a refluffed illithid savant.

Buufreak
2020-06-14, 09:01 PM

Wheres the lie?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-14, 09:08 PM
Wheres the lie?You mean, where does the lie lie? Probably in lye.

Bye.

Ramza00
2020-06-14, 10:10 PM

Remind me can an Illithid eat something to get Construct or Half Construct traits?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-14, 10:12 PM
Remind me can an Illithid eat something to get Construct or Half Construct traits?A living construct, if that living construct had gray matter. And since nobody knows how warforged are made in the modern day, it's entirely possible.

PrismCat21
2020-06-14, 10:30 PM
Don't forget the feat Natural Heavyweight in Planar Handbook. It doubles your carrying capacity. Makes it much easier to hold the castle above your head.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-14, 11:08 PM
Don't forget the feat Natural Heavyweight in Planar Handbook. It doubles your carrying capacity. Makes it much easier to hold the castle above your head.Also don't forget:

Bearer's Yoke
Muleback Cords
Improved Encumbrance
Pack Mule
Increased Carrying Capacity
Hauling Back Graft
Burdenless Armor
Belt of the Wide Earth
Well-Equipped
Ant haul spell