PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Beguiler?

Maat Mons
2020-06-13, 02:37 AM
Recently, I found out that the Sage bloodline for Sorcerer switches your casting stat to Intelligence.

I had already known that the Seeker archetype gives trapfinding. It struck me that putting those two things together gives you something akin to the 3.5 Beguiler class.

I'm not very familiar with Pathfinder. Are there any more Beguiler-y things that could be tacked on? Is this actually a good idea?

Kurald Galain
2020-06-13, 03:03 AM
Yes, it's a solid bloodline. Sorcerer overall is a strong class in PF.

Dr_Dinosaur
2020-06-13, 04:23 PM
You could Variant Multiclass in Rogue and drop Seeker to keep Trapfinding and gain Sneak Attack in exchange for some feats

Palanan
2020-06-13, 04:31 PM
I played a beguiler in one Pathfinder game, based on something my DM found online for me. It seemed like a pretty solid conversion, and I can try to find it for you if you like.

Erik the Green
2020-06-14, 03:48 AM
I played a beguiler in one Pathfinder game, based on something my DM found online for me. It seemed like a pretty solid conversion, and I can try to find it for you if you like.

I think I've found the homebrew you are talking about; it's a pretty nice and well-balanced concept I stumbled across a few years ago. Seems to have been updated and expanded nearly double from the version I have, tho: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qmqe?Beguiler-conversion-for-Pathfinder (leads to a Google doc).
Hope this helps, and I'm glad to be prodded to find the newer version.
Thanks, E

Palanan
2020-06-14, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Erik the Green
I think I've found the homebrew you are talking about....

That is one impressive homebrew conversion, but it's not the one I was using. My DM found me something much more basic, just a few pages in black and white. It may have been an earlier version of the one you've found, but more likely they were two separate projects.

The one you've found is really impressive, and it's probably a far better product than the relatively basic one I was using. This version seems to have had input from a lot of people and several design iterations. I'll have to take a look at this, since I always have room for a beguiler somewhere in my game.

Arkain
2020-06-14, 01:02 PM
If you want to stay within first party material, you could also try the Mesmerist class. It's kind of a psychic (not to be confused with psionic) Bard, a lot of illusions and enchantments, lots of skills and skill points, up to 6th level spells etc. Due to the nature of spellcasting it'll end up much weaker than a tweaked Sorcerer, but maybe it's still interesting enough.

Erik the Green
2020-06-15, 01:56 AM
That is one impressive homebrew conversion, but it's not the one I was using. My DM found me something much more basic, just a few pages in black and white. It may have been an earlier version of the one you've found, but more likely they were two separate projects.

The one you've found is really impressive, and it's probably a far better product than the relatively basic one I was using. This version seems to have had input from a lot of people and several design iterations. I'll have to take a look at this, since I always have room for a beguiler somewhere in my game.

U R welcome. I always thought the Beguiler was a cool concept, and that the consensus Tier rating was a bit low...not that I'm trying to start that discussion again :)

Psyren
2020-06-15, 10:13 AM
U R welcome. I always thought the Beguiler was a cool concept, and that the consensus Tier rating was a bit low...not that I'm trying to start that discussion again :)

The community tier project has some weird rankings borne of its way of averaging votes as well as the personal biases of the voters involved, particularly for high-ceiling/low-floor classes like Beguiler. I would take it with a grain of salt rather than as gospel, as it's just argumentum ad populum with some subjective numbers behind it to appear more legitimate. Generally, the best group to evaluate a class for your table is going to be your table.