PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building Crit-Fisher for next campaign. Vengeance Paladin? What will be best build?

Mitsu
2020-06-13, 03:44 AM
Next campaign is coming and I want to build crit-fishing Vengeance Paladin to maximize resource effectivness/smites.

Half-Elf Drow and Elven Accuracy is the base of the build, combined with Vow of Enmity.

Now, to not be torn between STR, DEX or CHA increases I would got 1 Hexblade dip for SAD CHA and Curse, which would combine nicely with crit fishing, giving us 19-20 crit range, Shield spell etc. (we all know how this dip is OP).

Stats would be either: 15,12,14,9,10,17 for heavy armor version or 13,14,14,9,10,17 for medium armor version. So once will give AC of +1 and one Dex save of +1.

Potential build variants: The real question

Now, I think 1/6 would be the base, with Elven Accuracy taken.

However, now I wonder what would be the best approach for the rest of the build. I could go for 1/12 and finish the rest with Sorc or Bard. This gives me better ASI progression (WarCaster and +2 CHA), Improved Divine Smite (extra 1d8 permanent damage goes long way with crit fisher and adventure day) and I still get good Vengance stuff like Haste

The other one would be classic 1/6 and 13 Levels of Divine Sorcerer, for good old Quicken/Twin, Spirit Guardians, Haste, Spiritual Weapon (though bonus action is already busy and filled here). More slots but the problem is that ASI progression would be slowed too much: Next ASI would be on level 11, so that would push Warcaster back a lot and 20 CHA to level 15. But can't ignore that natural synergy here.

Other idea is to grab Lore Bard instead of Divine Soul sorcerer. Now the reason is of how much overall good stuff that gives:

1. Extra Proficiencies + Expertise would make crit fisher a very scary skill monkey
2. Cutting Words addas nicely to defense of myself and teammates and it uses reaction and therefore filling that last gap. We have tons of uses now for bonus action, action and reaction each turn.
3. Fearie Fire spell will give us good option to set up Elven Accuracy attacks during combat vs multiple enemies and combo well.
4. Level 6 Magic Secrets (level 13 on this build) would give us Spirit Guardians + another magic secret.

I wonder what would be best approach here.

Alucard89
2020-06-13, 09:09 AM
I would also add 1 Hexblade/6 Paladin/13 Whisper Bard to the mix. This would allow to add on crit extra 6d6/10d6 damage up to 5/short rest. It's like having extra 5x 2nd level slots per short rest or 15 per day (if 2 short rests). If you want to go Bard instead of Sorc - that would be better path than Lore Bard. And it has a lot of "roleplay" powers to play with.

Sorcerer however is just too good with Quicken Booming Blade. On level 11 that is extra 3d8 damage and another chance for crit. If you really go for crits vs boss - extra attack increases your crit chance by ton, which in the end will result in better DPS and more crit-smites. There is also a matter of quicken Haste/Spirit Guardians/Fireball and so on.

If only between those 2 I would go for standard 1 Hex/6 Pal/13 Divine Sorc. You delay WarCaster but with Aura you will have ok concentration saves anyway. Quicken is just that good.

Though it's probably most cancerous build in 5e... especiall with Vengeance + Elven Accuracy on top of it.

Hael
2020-06-13, 09:14 AM
Optimizing Hexadin builds requires knowing what your DM tends to build as well as your role in the party.

Are you the primary tank? How many short rests do you get. How long does the campaign go for. In general there aren’t too many wrong choices here bc there are so many good builds possible.

Generally speaking going to three in Hexblade for the 4 extra short rest smite slots is advised, but you usually take most of those lvls after the paladin aura. Going to five gives you eldritch smite which gives the famous semi op nova build (you can drop a bbeg in two nova rounds).

Depending on build some lvls will be harder than others.