PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 1-level dip: healing and good will save, but not wisdom-based

2020-06-13, 04:44 AM
Thinking of a not-technically-E6-but-basically-E6 build with 3 outsider HDs and 2 levels of fiend of possession. To get into that PrC, I need its one remaining level to be in a class with a good will save. I'd like to get as much out of the dip as possible, considering ~6th level threats. Some form of self-healing would be particularly nice for this fiend, but due to fluff reasons, it can't take a class whose abilities are granted by or rely on a deity, and it doesn't have enough wisdom to cast normal classes' divine spells anyway.

The two choices I can think of are swordsage (grabbing the Vital Recovery feat at 6th) and maybe archivist? Swordsage's 1st-level maneuvers and stances aren't particularly impressive, though (and RHD don't seem to add initiator levels), and I'm not so sure about the fluff on archivists (the prayerbook reliance is kinda sad for the possession shtick, too).

Any better options out there?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention: 3.0/3.5 are both fine, including anything from Dragon. Pathfinder is a no-go, though.

Kaleph
2020-06-13, 04:53 AM
Dread necromancer with tomb-tainted soul. Artificer could also work. There's a feat somewhere that lets you sacrifice turn undeads for fast healing, but I'm AFB and dunno if it would be feasible.

Edit: the feat is sacred healing. Turn undead is a prerequisite, so technically rebuke would also qualify, but YMMV. If it works, then I'd go cloistered cleric, take rebuke undead and the three domain powers/devotion feats, and forget about spells.

2020-06-13, 05:22 AM
Dread necromancer is pretty neat. About artificer, though, are they able to heal non-warforgeds at 1st level? Oh, thinking about it... Scribe a scroll of cure X wounds is probably how they do it, huh?

Kaleph
2020-06-13, 06:10 AM
Dread necromancer is pretty neat. About artificer, though, are they able to heal non-warforgeds at 1st level? Oh, thinking about it... Scribe a scroll of cure X wounds is probably how they do it, huh?

That, or spell storing item of lesser vigor. Possibly some alchemical items could also help, but I'm no expert. Honestly, still, a 1-level-artificer dip is probably not worthwhile, since you have then to optimize UMD, spend time crafting...dread necromancer is a better option, IMO.

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-13, 06:27 AM
urban druid is cha based

Jack_Simth
2020-06-13, 10:13 AM
Also wands, healing belts, eternal wands (bards get the Cure line), and occasionally potions.

DrMartin
2020-06-13, 10:29 AM
dragon shaman with vigor aura counts?

Ruethgar
2020-06-13, 11:28 AM
Bard with a Sculpt Self for just a Legendary Lute and Precocious Apprentice. Get rid of all the bardic music effects for Lyric Spell and Extra Music. Courage, competence, counter, fascinate, suggestion=22 music/day so 11 more Cure Light Wounds per day.

Jopustopin
2020-06-13, 12:01 PM
dragon shaman with vigor aura counts?

Infinite healing to half hit points, good will saves. Also out of combat you got +1 to initiative for your entire party. So that's vigor aura and senses aura. Third aura can be something useful in combat.

Yogibear41
2020-06-14, 12:04 AM
what 3 hd outsider are you using?

2020-06-14, 12:29 AM
Urban druid has the silliest fluff, but, I'd forgotten it used Charisma for casting--that's a lot of problem-solving in a single level, especially with the infamous ability to conjure a flying adamantine chain.

Technically the creature is a succubus with the first 5 levels (aka 3 HDs) from the savage species progression. It does just about everything a 5th-level succubus/incubus could do, but FoP looks way more fun than anything higher-level succubi get (and having a class only give HDs every other level is weird and blah blah blah), so the "must finish the entire progression" restriction is going poof in favor of becoming occasional sword mom isekai.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-06-14, 12:05 PM
A marshal has good Charisma synergy, and I assume you have excellent Charisma. Warlock (for Beguiling Influence) is a good option, too.