PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spheres of Power/might- Solo Character

FortuneXVI
2020-06-13, 06:34 AM
I’ll be playing a pathfinder solo game soon, and I’d like some help on figuring out how to balance my character so as not to annihilated in a CR appropriate encounter.

We’re using Spheres of might/power, everything that’s on the wiki the GM doesn’t actively veto. Vancian casting is out (Although I will get ritual caster/spell dabbler for free, scrolls are rare). My DM is currently proposing I use gestalt (Or even Tristan, potentially) and automatic bonus progression with regular WBL, although I’m not sure if that will quite suffice. He’s also offering the Un-nerfed master of the cosmos feat (add Thaumaturges forbidden lore to CL for conjuration companion progression) so I can summon a good beat stick if I go thaumaturge. Any other rules that might make things more fair in my favour, he’s willing to consider.

Right now, the only thing I have fixed is that one side of the ge/tristalt is going to be the Solipsist Fey Adept, with a focus on illusions (very versatile, powerful with some ingenuity, lots of skills.) What are some good might/power/champion classes to combine? Starting level is 6, but we will go to 20.

Any advice is appreciated!

stack
2020-06-13, 11:17 AM
Do you mean that the encounter will be level appropriate for a party of 4 and you have to solo them? Because if the GM makes appropriate encounters for your single character, gestalt/tristalt shenanigans are unnecessary.

FortuneXVI
2020-06-13, 06:07 PM
@Stack, I mean appropriate for 4 regular characters of my level. We’re using a custom module originally designed for that size of party, and we’d prefer not to equivocate on encounter size for various reasons (primarily, due to laziness and a desire to keep the same epic feel to encounters. We also might be using this same setup to run Paizo adventure paths eventually, so we want to be ready for that.)

Khosan
2020-06-13, 07:10 PM
I think Conscript would be the natural complement to Fey Adept. Full BAB, d10 HD, good Fort/Ref, loads of combat talents and flexibility in how you build the character. I'd look at Prodigy though, only a d8 HD and 3/4 BAB, but it's going to make you better at whatever magical stuff you want to do without costing you all that much in the way of martial flexibility and power.

As far as spheres, my first consideration for Combat spheres would be Beastmastery. Going solo doesn't have to mean being completely alone, and an animal companion will go a long way towards making sure you don't just eat it instantly. You could also get a cohort from the Leadership sphere, but I feel like that's a harder sell.

SangoProduction
2020-06-14, 03:28 PM
You could definitely go with Hedgewitch, or Eliciter, Both of which have champion archetypes so that their talents can overlap while maintaining gestalt-ed talent progression. Or if you want to be utterly broken, go with Sage on your other side instead. Then take some of the stuff I used in my How Much AC is Too Much thread, and you'll be able to solo anything.

If you are purely looking for versatility, you can go with Protean Shifter, which can flex alteration talents, something illusion can't do. Hedgewitch also as Spiritualism which flexes any talents.

For actual spheres of choice for solo adventures (that you haven't already mentioned): Life sphere, to stay alive. Shield sphere, again, to stay alive. Guardian and Berserker spheres. Again. Then Destruction, as you will need to just burn down your enemies, as you have no other damage dealers to follow up on any debuffs you give the enemy.

For drawbacks, obviously any one that restricts a sphere to specifically you is essentially free.

For Life sphere, you'll want to want the Fast Healing talent, as well as...Latent Healing, so that you can activate a heal as a swift action if needed.

Guardian is basically a better toughness. You don't need it for anything but that. You can trade away the packages for Improved Delayed Pool, or whatever it is.

Destruction: Get all your elemental bases covered. Then get blast shapes that let you deal with a variety of situations. Your shadow illusions can handle creating walls for you, so you can ignore Energy Wall.

stack
2020-06-14, 03:46 PM
Illusion is a talent hog, but you are starting at a level that creat reality let's you spontaneously copy several spheres. Unless solipist trades that away. They shear versatility of that ability is ridiculous and covers so much utility for you that it isn't even funny. Conscript for a pile of combat talents is the easiest way to go, focus on making yourself durable and able to deal with lesser threats without wasting spell points and shadow points. Other option is prodigy, giving you even more versatility, though that ends up being a lot of moving parts, so may be hard to run at the table.