PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 D&D Summoning defense

the_tick_rules
2020-06-13, 10:04 AM
Is there a method for a martial class to block enemy summoning? The only methods I found had some severe restrictions like this weapon ability only activates on a critical hit or only blocks for one round, not very reliable. The closet I found was the binding ability from the MIC. But that only imitates dimensional anchor which unlike dimensional lock does not block summoning, or so I think. I thought of having a spell storing ring with dimensional lock but that 20 foot radius is fixed I believe and heck if you have that kind of control over an opponent you are probably going to win anyway.

Bronk
2020-06-13, 10:07 AM
There’s the ‘antimagic torc’ from Underdark...

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-13, 10:50 AM
Won't protection from evil/good do it? Just keep a potion or two on hand.

SLOTHRPG95
2020-06-13, 11:21 AM
Won't protection from evil/good do it? Just keep a potion or two on hand.

Protection from/Magic Circle against [Alignment] doesn't totally block summoning, although they provide multiple defenses against summoned creatures. However, the protection is not absolute. If the summoned creatures use anything other than natural weapons, or have high SR, they can still attack/approach you. You'll still get the +2 to AC/saves, but even that won't help you against ex. a (Greater) planar bound Planetar's Power Word Stun or Waves of Exhaustion. Still, it's better than nothing.

Unavenger
2020-06-13, 12:49 PM
Hit the enemy spellcaster with a big stick at any point during the one round casting time, which is not the same as a full-round action cast time? Seems like the obvious solution.

Also "Hit the summoned creature with a big stick until it is dead" but hey, let's not go too crazy here.

Dimers
2020-06-13, 02:30 PM
I feel like there was some de-summoning weapon enchantment, with a saving throw per hit to not get zapped back wherever you came from, similar to the disruption enchantment. But I can't think of what book it might be in.

the_tick_rules
2020-06-13, 02:47 PM
I feel like there was some de-summoning weapon enchantment, with a saving throw per hit to not get zapped back wherever you came from, similar to the disruption enchantment. But I can't think of what book it might be in.

You're probably thinking of the banishing weapon ability from book of exalted deeds. Unfortunately it doesn't affect anyone above 25 HD and requires a 24 will save to defend, for the big boys those are not very difficult requirements.

Dimers
2020-06-13, 03:26 PM
You're probably thinking of the banishing weapon ability from book of exalted deeds. Unfortunately it doesn't affect anyone above 25 HD and requires a 24 will save to defend, for the big boys those are not very difficult requirements.

I don't think that was the one, because before re-reading it just now, I never thought about summoned creatures being extraplanar. Regardless, thank you for the reference!

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-14, 05:32 AM

Big boys don't get summoned, they get called.

Pretty much only the largest celestial/fiendish vermin even have a shot at getting past that HD cap. Even most calling spells don't get you quite that high. The elemental monoliths do it but they have their own 9th level spell. The HD cap just isn't a factor unless you're dealing with something that isn't the result of a spell.

DC 24 isn't bad for dealing with summons either since -most- summoned creatures aren't gonna make that reliably. Only a few on summon monster/ Nature's ally 9 lists have as good as even odds.

I don't have BoED in front of me but if there's not a per day limit on that then there's hardly a better solution to the OP's question. The +3 kinda hurts though.

ShurikVch
2020-06-16, 08:31 AM
Big boys don't get summoned, they get called.
Summon Elemental Monolith :smallwink:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-16, 10:08 AM
Summoning spells have a 1 round casting time, i.e. everyone else gets to go and the spell finishes at the beginning of the caster's next turn. It's obvious that they're casting a spell that entire time, and there aren't a lot of other spells with such a long casting time as those. Any damage dealt to the caster during that time will force a Concentration check to avoid losing the spell. You can also cast Silence on a point in space so they're in the area, which automatically ruins any spells being cast that have a verbal component. Or you can grapple them and it ruins any somatic components and they'll lose the spell.

Dispel Magic and similar gets rid of summoned creatures. Dismissal, Holy Word, etc. also works.

Psyren
2020-06-16, 10:08 AM

I assume you stopped reading after that first sentence and rushed to reply :smalltongue:

el minster
2020-06-16, 10:24 AM
I recall a sword from races of fearun which banished creatures to their home plane

Heavenblade
2020-06-16, 10:24 AM
Hellbreaker 7 could work...however, the DC to bypass your anti summon effect is quite mediocre - 20 + spell level.

Minimal.entry level 5, so an enemy caster would have a bonus of around 20, which would mean they have to pass 5 or higher on a d20...not great odds, but 1/4 chance to just waste their summoning ability ain't too shabby

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-16, 04:16 PM

Mentioned them, actually. 9th level spell, concentration. It's an exception to the general pattern and one that won't come up very often.