PDA

View Full Version : Old School I’m also in a BECMI game, is there a way to promise here?

Klorox
2020-06-13, 12:56 PM
I’m currently in an BECMI game. I’ve just joined, and it’s fun.

The only way I’m familiar with optimizing a character in this edition is to roll well on stats and to hope for cool items, neither of which helps me really.

Is there something I’m missing?

BTW, one thing I’m realizing is just how incredibly elegant a system can be by keeping it simple.

thirdkingdom
2020-06-13, 01:01 PM
I’m currently in an BECMI game. I’ve just joined, and it’s fun.

The only way I’m familiar with optimizing a character in this edition is to roll well on stats and to hope for cool items, neither of which helps me really.

Is there something I’m missing?

BTW, one thing I’m realizing is just how incredibly elegant a system can be by keeping it simple.

Not really. OSR games are much more about player skill than character optimization. There are some tricks you can use to be more effective. Use lots of oil. Even if your Referee doesn't allow "molotov cocktails" you can still throw the oil and then light it. Sleep and charm person are both pretty potent spells.

One of the most important rules in OSR games is morale; many fights will end by breaking your opponents' morale, not by slaying them all. Also, you want to try and avoid combat, when possible. Treasure is what gets you XP, not killing opponents.

Duff
2020-06-15, 07:37 PM
It's been a while, but from memory, the weapon mastery rules from the masters books are one of the very few places you can customize your character. The others being spell choices and some choice about which equipment you keep.

mindstalk
2020-06-15, 09:15 PM
Henchmen and Hirelings.