PDA

View Full Version : On NPC Classes?

JusticeZero
2020-06-13, 08:18 PM
The proposed rule (for an E6 Pathfinder game) is to make not only a full character but at least one NPC class character, who will use an inferior stat array but share levels, to pull out of the pool and use in case the party gets split up for whatever reason.
Adept is not allowed right now, because restricted spellcasting.
I'm not sure how to work it into the meta where there are no real spellcasters except for those who are part of a coven of Hags.
There's lots of magic items kicking around, crafted by hag covens and coven Witches for various reasons, or by crafters that can create magical items from magic materials found in various places, but cannot cast spells.
Do the remaining NPC classes cover the range of less heroic but still capable side characters adequately? Crafters, soldiers, scouts, doctors, hunters, administrators, investigators, diplomats, and so on? Is there anything I should look into to make sure the side characters can do their jobs?

Nifft
2020-06-13, 08:28 PM
What does your group consider to be NPC classes? Can you be a Fighter / Monk / Marshal, or just Commoner / Expert / Aristocrat / Magewright?

Aristocrat can be fun to RP, especially if you can talk the DM into letting you have two "double NPC" retainers (who are Fighters).

Chicken-Infested Commoner is a terrible idea, but might be briefly fun.

JusticeZero
2020-06-13, 09:29 PM
The latter, Commoner / Expert / Aristocrat / Warrior (Where is Magewright?)
They're not supposed to be full story members so much as supporting cast that can be brought along.

Nifft
2020-06-13, 09:37 PM
The latter, Commoner / Expert / Aristocrat / Warrior (Where is Magewright?)
They're not supposed to be full story members so much as supporting cast that can be brought along.

Magewright is from the Eberron Campaign Setting, and it's a Wizard-ish equivalent to the Adept -- so probably not useful here if Adept is forbidden.

What are your PC classes?

If you have easy access to magic items, then Expert might be worthwhile, assuming you pick the right skills: Use Magic Device (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm) is a serviceable class feature, and if you can cherry-pick non-core skills then you can pick up things like Autohypnosis (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/autohypnosis.htm) (which is almost another class feature).

el minster
2020-06-13, 11:50 PM
I have heard expert can pick liajitsu focus as a class skill, and this makes it half decent, however I have no idea what liajitsu focus is exept that it's from Oriental Adventures.

Nifft
2020-06-13, 11:52 PM
I have heard expert can pick liajitsu focus as a class skill, and this makes it half decent, however I have no idea what liajitsu focus is exept that it's from Oriental Adventures.

Iiajitsu Focus is less commonly allowed in my experience.

Inexperienced DMs don't import it because it looks cheesy; experienced DMs don't import it because it's kinda garbage.

el minster
2020-06-13, 11:56 PM
I still have no idea what this is though, care to explain?

Nifft
2020-06-14, 12:11 AM

It's kinda garbage.

It's unlikely to be of value to the OP.

Suggest things which have value instead of chasing unknown garbage.

el minster
2020-06-14, 12:22 AM
just saying I still have no real idea what it is exept that it's "garbage"

JusticeZero
2020-06-14, 02:36 AM
just saying I still have no real idea what it is exept that it's "garbage"
It's a skill that gives you a damage boost, similar to Backstab, when you draw a weapon using Quickdraw.

What are your PC classes?
Alchemist, Barbarian, Brawler, Bloodrager (Hag or Shifter only), Cavalier (no mount because it will be unusable too frequently, animal companion swap required), Ranger (Trapper, Skirmisher, Divine Archer required), Rogue, Shifter (druidic elements exchanged for lycanthropic), Slayer, Soulknife (Feral Heart only), and I'm still debating on the Witch (plus free Coven hex and a coven of Hags), all in E6.

The concern isn't around power, it's around flexibility.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-14, 02:51 AM

Iaijutsu Focus is a supplemental skill that represents a character's proficiency at iaido; the technique of drawing a sword and slashing the enemy in a single, smooth motion. As you may have guessed from the name; the historic, RL source of this idea is the Japanese samurai.

Mechanically, you make a skill check using your Iaijutsu focus modifier (ranks +charisma mod +misc) and consult the table in OA. Based on the result you do a few extra d6s of damage.

You can only make an Iaijutsu focus check if you draw your weapon immediately before the attack and the target of your attack must be flat-footed. You still have to roll to-hit normally against the opponent.

Since the rules don't specify or restrict the weapon the skill can be used with in any way, it's generally taken to mean the skill can be used with any weapon you can sheath or stow. The standard advice for its use is to take proficiency in the gnome quick-razor from races of stone since that weapon is sheathed and unsheathed as free actions as part of every attack made with it.

In the best case scenario it is equivalent to and stacks with sneak attack just without the flanking option. Upshot, it's not precision damage so it doesn't matter if your foe is immune to critical hits. The skill can even be used to damage objects to a greater degree than a normal attack.

It is fairly common to see folks around here dismiss the skill as cheesy and rarely allowed. The former rings hollow to me and my group allows it so your mileage may vary.

JusticeZero
2020-06-14, 03:20 AM
I'd be fine with it, just first I want to make sure that I can cover my crafter, medic, hunter, etc. support staff roles adequately with the few NPC classes there without adding extra content.

Toliudar
2020-06-14, 03:33 PM
Any character with the craft alchemy skill will be able to prep a variety of low-end magical effects that more or less mimic the effects of 1st level spellcasting through the expenditure of reources. Warriors are not that much lower powered than, say, monks. Experts can be sneaky. Commoners can bring along a pack of dogs. If you reduce your expectations as to the degree of effectiveness, you can manage all of the functions of a regular party.