PDA

View Full Version : Loremaster

Dmdork
2020-06-13, 09:54 PM
Is Loremaster a no go? I heard it's pretty much banned lol

Christew
2020-06-13, 10:03 PM
I mean, it is silly overpowered compared to other Wizard subclasses.

ftafp
Some people use it but it's got a lot of problems. WotC has been trying for years to create a wizard subclass that can change the damage type of their spells, but each time they try they only make it marginally less overpowered. The loremaster was the worst example of this, with pretty much no restrictions on this ability and the ability to change save type as well with equally few limits. Fortunately, it was only playtest material, so very few games were broken by it, but even now its legacy lives on in the College of Scribes subclass which is going to need another big revision before it's table-ready

Dmdork
Nvm. I just found my answer.

At level three, cast Hold Person, targeting Strength or Dexterity (whichever is weaker on your target). If they fail the first save, they fail every subsequent save, because they're Paralyzed.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-13, 10:05 PM
It's ridiculous to the point where it won't and shouldn't see the light of publication.

Being able to not only change a spells damage type (which should be the domain of the Sorcerer) but also being able to change what stat the spell targets and all of that coming in at level 2 is ridiculous. It just gets worse from there, ways to increase damage and save DC etc.

Dmdork
2020-06-13, 10:18 PM
What about the race variants? R they OP? A player of mine is trying to dip into UA and I don't have the PDF. I told him no lore master. I'm just guessing that the race variants r ok....

Christew
2020-06-13, 10:20 PM
In general, most UA is OP.

Also, good rule of thumb: don't approve anything you can't read.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-13, 10:20 PM
What about the race variants? R they OP? A player of mine is trying to dip into UA and I don't have the PDF. I told him no lore master. I'm just guessing that the race variants r ok....

Are you referring to the Tieflings? The variants for the Tiefling were published in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Chronos
2020-06-14, 07:22 AM
The other problem with the Loremaster is that it isn't, well, a loremaster. As designed, it's "wizard that's really good at casting spells", which, since that's the wizard's schtick to begin with, naturally ends up being overpowered. But what it should be is "wizard that's really good at knowing stuff", and it doesn't really get any abilities that represent that.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-06-14, 08:20 AM
I... honestly don't know which article he's talking about, but you can find an index of all of them here (https://www.dndtomb.com/resources/unearthed-arcana-list/). Or just have him send you his copy of the PDF. (If he refuses, he's definitely trying to pull something on you).

For a more balanced generalist Wizard subclass, check out the Arcane Savant in my Guide to Greatness (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/267038/Grods-Guide-to-Greatness).