PDA

View Full Version : Stats for a magical butler

moonfly7
2020-06-14, 10:49 AM
So in a previous thread:https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612558-Monster-Egg-ideas
I asked for help choosing just what was in an egg I was giving my players the chance to buy. I finally decided on my personal favourite suggestion: Walter, a 44 year old seemingly human butler who hatches from the egg and becomes a loyal and faithful Butler to the party as a whole.

Here is my dilemma, I don't know what stats to use for him, or if I should use stats at all. I know I want him to be able to do things that definitely seem magical(like having any type of tea they want, and never seeming to run out) but I also don't want him to be used in combat. I'm taking inspiration from SCP-662 AKA Mr. Deeds for this, in case that helps with the stats or what I think he should do. Any help is appreciated.

Bubzors
2020-06-14, 11:00 AM
Why would you need stats for an NPC who will not participate in combat and is there mainly for roleplaying reasons? He's a magical butler who was born from an egg, if you want him to have minor magical properties just give it to him.

I'd worry more about his personality and how he interacts with the PCs, not worthless stats

moonfly7
2020-06-14, 11:37 AM
Why would you need stats for an NPC who will not participate in combat and is there mainly for roleplaying reasons? He's a magical butler who was born from an egg, if you want him to have minor magical properties just give it to him.

I'd worry more about his personality and how he interacts with the PCs, not worthless stats

Maybe stats is a bad phrasing: I could use a good idea for what he can do. A framework for his limits so my players don't abuse it.
Personality wise he's an "I live to serve" quintessential British sounding butler. No real disgusting traits. And do NOT ask me where the egg came from.

J-H
2020-06-14, 12:02 PM
Anything related to cleaning, clothing, food, or good manners. I'm not sure why you need to find limits, beyond disallowing exploitation (like opening a clothing store).

Christew
2020-06-14, 12:12 PM
D&D truism: if you stat it, it can be killed. Similarly, if you stat it, players will attempt to use it in combat.

I once gave my players a modified bag of holding that instantly transported whatever was put inside to a vault in their headquarters. The purpose was to bypass carry weight and such for treasure. The result was a player tying it to the end of a quarterstaff and attempting to decapitate people by dropping it over their heads. Never overestimate or underestimate your players, they will surprise you.

ShinyRocks
2020-06-14, 12:26 PM
He can cast mending at will on discrete objects he can hold in his hands; ie he can fix a tear in a robe or put together a broken lockpick, but can't, idk, mend a broken door panel. The restriction probably isn't necessary, but players get creative...

He should have some parts of prestidigitation
- He can act like a flint and tinder - lighting candles, lamps, campfires etc, but not setting a stockade ablaze
- Any clothes/shoes given to him are cleaned like new by the next morning. Nobody sees him do it
- He can flavour/heat/cool food and drink

He can clean, cut and style hair, and shave/tidy facial hair

I like the tea thing but I'd definitely limit to him pouring from a pot into a cup/mug/whatever. If anyone takes the pot from him, it vanishes. Again, an endless supply of liquid - players get creative.

Make him be a source of knowledge for noble families/royalty. Don't think you need to stat it out with an Intelligence score and History proficiency. Just 'oh, yes, the Lyonelle family made all their money in shipping...'. Tidbits for your players from an in-character perspective rather than making them roll for fluffy, non-vital information.

Give him a little bit of Bag of Holding capacity. Nothing too ridiculous. Yes he'll look after that suit of chain mail for you, no he will not carry that ebony and silver inlaid bookcase, I don't care how much it will sell for back in town. Maybe limit it by number of items, rather than weight. 'Sorry sir, I'm already carrying eight items for you, I couldn't possibly take more. Would you like to take something back?'

He has a very limited form of Sending. He can message any of the party over any distance, but only for things they've specifically asked him to remind them of. 'It's almost sunset miss, you really should get back to the keep if you want to be ready to meet the Mayor tonight'.

At the first sign of combat, he vanishes completely. Or returns to his Egg, whichever you prefer. Back into the Egg is funnier, but allows for the chance of it getting broken or stolen or whatever, so I'd probably just go for 'poof!'

moonfly7
2020-06-14, 04:51 PM
D&D truism: if you stat it, it can be killed. Similarly, if you stat it, players will attempt to use it in combat.

I once gave my players a modified bag of holding that instantly transported whatever was put inside to a vault in their headquarters. The purpose was to bypass carry weight and such for treasure. The result was a player tying it to the end of a quarterstaff and attempting to decapitate people by dropping it over their heads. Never overestimate or underestimate your players, they will surprise you.

Yeah, I've learned this the hard way. Hence wanting stats.