PDA

View Full Version : What’s Your Favorite Short Module?

Palanan
2020-06-14, 12:28 PM
Of all the shorter modules, the ones that can be played in one or two sessions, which is your favorite?

I’m open to all official WotC and Paizo modules, including web enhancements—anything that’s short and self-contained, a complete package that's fun to play.

NontheistCleric
2020-06-14, 12:38 PM
Probably The Ministry of Winds, one of the free online ones on the Wizards website, mostly because I used it to start the first campaign I ever DMed.

It wasn't really meant for 1st level characters, and needed so much adaptation that I don't think what my players actually experienced bore much resemblance to what was published, even before they started going wildly off the rails, but I'll always remember it as the base of their first adventure.

tiercel
2020-06-15, 04:11 PM
A WotC freebie PDF, The Burning Plague, is pretty good for ~1st level characters (you’ll need to do some tweaking or indulge your urge to run Tucker’s Kobolds if the party is much above 1st level); whether a contagion-themed adventure would be more fun to overcome or less so these days is up to your group, of course.

IIRC it was released as a 3.0 module, but being low level means that there should be little difference for 3.5 or 3.X

Thurbane
2020-06-15, 05:09 PM
A WotC freebie PDF, The Burning Plague, is pretty good for ~1st level characters (you’ll need to do some tweaking or indulge your urge to run Tucker’s Kobolds if the party is much above 1st level); whether a contagion-themed adventure would be more fun to overcome or less so these days is up to your group, of course.

IIRC it was released as a 3.0 module, but being low level means that there should be little difference for 3.5 or 3.X

This is the same one I came here to mention. It was the first module my wife ran as a DM, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Nifft
2020-06-15, 05:22 PM
The one I enjoyed most was the one with a pizza golem.

IIRC it was called Something's Cooking, and it was nothing spectacular in terms of plot, but the hilarity of fighting a pizza golem was memorable.

It's a good module to run if you intend to embrace the highly lethal hilarity and absurdness which D&D can become.

Troacctid
2020-06-15, 05:38 PM
The Forgotten Forge is a really great, iconic Eberron adventure. I love the opening scene of the bridge in the rain with a lightning flash illuminating a cloaked figure hunched over a dead body, and on the next flash, the cloaked figure is gone. That right there, that's an aesthetic.

I also quite enjoyed Expedition to Castle Raveloft, although it's a little more of a mini-campaign than a one-shot.

DrMartin
2020-06-16, 05:04 PM
Hangman's Noose would be my darling. Memorable NPCs, good execution of a simple premise, good horror feeling (when horror still works in dnd, that is, at the low levels).

Plus it can be customized really easily to be played in just 1-session by 1 or 2 players (or 1 player as a protagonist and a second player as a plant, in case one of them already knows the module), by simply dropping some of the less essential events and encounters.

Palanan
2020-06-18, 02:10 PM
These are some great suggestions. It's good to see a mention of Hangman's Noose, since I've come across that before and wondered how it played. I've also seen Burning Plague back in the day, and glad to hear it's enjoyable to run through.

More suggestions welcome.